PDA

View Full Version : How to navigate?

Fighterduck
01-20-2007, 02:04 AM
hi all!

well its now a long time i play il2 both online and offline, but i never tried to fly without map path that give me the way to follow. So i was thinking how you do or what you have to do to fly without any map indication. I mean, how to use compass, how to know where you are going and things like that ^^ ....yes i know i know it's a shame that i never tried ehehe...but if there is someone that can help me i would really appreciate!...and if i learn i could finally play on Zeke vs. Wildcats or server like this

thanks<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof"

Fighterduck
01-20-2007, 02:04 AM
hi all!

well its now a long time i play il2 both online and offline, but i never tried to fly without map path that give me the way to follow. So i was thinking how you do or what you have to do to fly without any map indication. I mean, how to use compass, how to know where you are going and things like that ^^ ....yes i know i know it's a shame that i never tried ehehe...but if there is someone that can help me i would really appreciate!...and if i learn i could finally play on Zeke vs. Wildcats or server like this

thanks<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof"

slipBall
01-20-2007, 03:10 AM
You could do a google on "Dead reckoning" navigation, and read up on that...read the mission brief, know the heading you must fly, compare ground features that you observe while flying...against features that you see on the map...good luck<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f394/SlipBall/orders.jpg

FritzGryphon
01-20-2007, 03:21 AM
Mainly you have to know where you are, and navigation becomes simple. You fly the heading to the destination you want to go.

To figure out where you are, look out the window and look for landmarks around your plane, and compare those landmarks to your map.

Good landmarks to use are rivers, towns and roads, because they have distinctive shapes.

So if you see a town out your left window, and a L-shaped lake out your right window, you would look for those things on your map. Once you find them, you'll know that you're somewhere between them.

Once you know where you are, you can figure out the headng to your destination, and follow the compass. Check other landmarks along the way so you don't go off course.

Fighterduck
01-20-2007, 03:38 AM
yep but the problem is that when i take off i dont know where i am ^^ so from the firsts seconds of flight im lost.

actually how work the compass? i mean, there is a picture of a plane: but when i was flying yesterday in a coop qith no map path i was little bit confused on it: the nose of the plane picture on the compass was pointing down like i was flying south but aon th other side there is a whithe mark on the top of the compass that showed another direction...which one i have to watch? the nose of the picture or the withe
mark?

hdg are 0 north, 180 south ?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

FritzGryphon
01-20-2007, 03:42 AM
The nose of the plane points where you're going. If it points at N, you are going upward on the map. Oh, and 'O' means East, if you're in a German plane.

You should look at the briefing map before you take off, so you know where you are initially.

Fighterduck
01-20-2007, 03:46 AM
uuuh....sound so complicated ^^ yesterday i flew "blind" for 15 min before fyinding an ennemy the of curse shooted me down because i was concentrated on my instruments! But so, when on the radio they say hdg 160, you must transform it knowing that 180 is south right?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Philipscdrw
01-20-2007, 06:02 AM
Fighterduck, it's perfectly authentic to die while looking at your instruments - it happened to many real-world pilots I think! But don't trust the instrument panel. Many aircraft have compasses which you can never see, because they're hiding behind another part of the cockpit, and some have compasses which give completely incorrect headings! Use the "HEADING" text in the lower left corner of the screen instead.

You might want to print out this compass rose: http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/b25podm/6.htm .

If you look at the briefing screen, you'll see which airfield you're starting off from. Iin a dogfight map, there'll be a flag in it; offline or in co-ops, there's a flight path leading out of it! Read the briefing to see where your objectives are. (It's helpful to write this down!)<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

------------------------------------------------------------
PhilipsCDRw

Flying on Hyperlobby as EAF_T_Dozer

Fighterduck
01-20-2007, 06:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Philipscdrw:
Use the "HEADING" text in the lower left corner of the screen instead.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah but in full real servers there isn the speed bar with the hdg..so i dont know where im going ^^
if there soul be one i know that 0 is north and 180 is south and numbers differents from those tell me that im going north-east,or north-weast ecc ecc...but without the speed bar i have to watch the compass to see where im going..or to try to know where i am.
Watching at rivers and town dont work always for me: if there are more than 5 rivers its difficult to know over which one im flying. I can only tell you if on the side of the river there is a town and on the map its the only town near a river.

But the problem is really to know where to go: yesterdy they told me.."we are in i 03 "..umh ok i03...but how can i know where to hdg to go here?^^<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Philipscdrw
01-20-2007, 06:27 AM
You should always have the heading bar, on every difficulty setting! Go to the control assignments and set something to "Toggle Speedbar". Then press that until the speedbar comes back.

(The speedbar has four settings: Metric, Imperial (Knots), Imperial (MPH), and Off. When the "Speedbar Off" difficulty setting is turned on, these four settings become Heading Only, Heading Only, Heading Only, and Off.)

Navigation comes with practice really. It's very hard to find a map square without the minimap path, unless you know exactly where you are. And that's hard work!

If you know which map you'll be flying over, you could print out the map. There's a load of them somewhere - I can't remember where though.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

PhilipsCDRw

roybaty
01-20-2007, 06:54 AM
On a full switch server navigation is looking at the map and out the window to find familiar landmarks (rivers, islands, peninsulas), once you know where you are, use the compass to navigate.

Nothing more gratifying than finding you way home after taken hits in the oil cooler, and making a safe landing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

-------------- QUICK SPECS --------------

-------------- HARDWARE --------------

SYSTEM: DELL XPS 600 3Ghz/P4/630
VIDEO CARD: nVidia 6800GS/256
RAM: 1 Gig DDR2 4200
HOTAS : Thrustmaster COUGAR
PEDALS: CH Pro Pedals USB
OTHER INPUT: Track IR2

-------------- SOFTWARE --------------

VOICE COMMAND: Shoot 1.6/VR Commander
COMMUNICATION: Teamspeak 2 R2
DX Ver: 9c

Fighterduck
01-20-2007, 07:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by roybaty:

Nothing more gratifying than finding you way home after taken hits in the oil cooler, and making a safe landing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in my case i press ctlr+e and hope that i bail out on allied field http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
or well....i can immagine the german faces watching a p-51 landing on their home base because the pilot is convinced that is an allied base ^^<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

slipBall
01-20-2007, 08:25 AM
If I remember rightly, Zeke vs. shows the fronts on the map, as well as the heading display lower left...alot of fun useing the map you will get good at it<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f394/SlipBall/orders.jpg

Tator_Totts
01-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Our squad being Pacific front have to use speed of carrier, direction and time in mission to navigate back to carrier task force in the middle of water.

Now that is real fun.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://home.carolina.rr.com/squad/AG-51/Stanger.gif

Philipscdrw
01-20-2007, 09:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fighterduck:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by roybaty:

Nothing more gratifying than finding you way home after taken hits in the oil cooler, and making a safe landing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in my case i press ctlr+e and hope that i bail out on allied field http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
or well....i can immagine the german faces watching a p-51 landing on their home base because the pilot is convinced that is an allied base ^^ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There were Luftwaffe aircraft which did exactly that; landing in Britain thinking they were back in France...<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

PhilipsCDRw

Fighterduck
01-20-2007, 09:14 AM
oh nice so i dont suck that much ^^

and yes..zeke vs. w have the hdg bar..uhm maybe i just didnt notice it on the coop yesterday. But in Zeke server is much easier to fly because many map are isle and on island is easy to know where to go. but on ope field...thats another story.

but i found a way to navigate..if the target is left on the map just hdg 270, if on the right hdg 90 if on south 180 and if on north 0..if the target is between those..i take a "mean" heading

Btw...i think that Trackir is pretty much a must in a server without externals uhm?...was really hard to fly with an hand and to try to follow annemy with mouse with the other^^<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

widdershins
01-20-2007, 09:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fighterduck:
Btw...i think that Trackir is pretty much a must in a server without externals uhm?...was really hard to fly with an hand and to try to follow annemy with mouse with the other^^ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For a fighter? It's pretty much required if you want a chance at surviving let alone getting a kill.

As for navigation, (I'm no Ferdinand Magellan, be sure) unless it's noon, the sun helps get you headed in the right direction too if you know what time of day it is.

hening_880Sqn
01-20-2007, 10:53 AM
I have heard several accounts of pilots that wonder why flack is coming up while they are trying to land at their home field, only to figure that they are not where they think they are. My education was flying a campaign (Finnish) offline and learning how to navigate using direction, a printed copy of the map to get references and sticking with my flight whenever possible. You can also ask the tower to vector you in, which I had to resort to after chasing bombers and losing my flight. I even cheated and told my wing to return home and followed him. The game is totally different without the help of map paths, and more intense. Just getting home brings satisfaction, and isn't that true of the actual pilots?

Fighterduck
01-20-2007, 11:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hening_880Sqn:
I even cheated and told my wing to return home and followed him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ahaha...yeah! i never thought about that! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif<div class="ev_tpc_signature">