PDA

View Full Version : Complete lack of land combat? + Naval imbalance

Traslogan
01-31-2019, 11:51 PM
I know anno 2205 decided that combat was a trivial minigame, but seriously why is there no land combat at all in Anno 1800? The ships have an overhauled combat system which is nice but it's still relatively flat, with just encouraging islands to surrender with gunboat diplomacy.

We've got Anno games from 10 years ago that did combat better, why is it that we're now into the 3rd Anno game where Land combat is just not in at all? At least Anno 2070 did its weird Air-combat thing.

On top of this, the naval setup is that we literally only have 1 combat ship better than the starter ship, and 1 trading ship better than the starting ship, and they don't arrive until Tier 3 and then take ages to make, only to be quickly killed by a few smaller ships that can zoom away for repairs. 3 out of 5 of the currently available ship designs are obsolete unless you just want to trade two goods, and then the military ones just don't stack up against the basic starter ship.

It's great to see the game feel like an actual Anno game again, but we are at a point where modern PC Anno isn't even on-par with the Nintendo DS port of Anno 1701 for complexity. Even the Nintendo DS ports have land combat.

Drysyn
02-01-2019, 12:48 AM
as far as i know none of the Anno series has any land combat in them

Buchsbaumi
02-01-2019, 12:59 AM
Full disclosure: I disliked the slow and boring land combat in older Anno's to the point I got into a habit playing without enemys.

Anyway, I don't even see a place for land combat if there are no influence areas and market builings to occupy. And I kinda like that there is no influence area anymore. Occupying an Island by simply blocking the port does seem a little boring though.

In terms of ships I somewhat agree. I get the thought behind your flagship beeing a flagship in more than name. But it does not feel good that all other ships are comparatively bad. Maybe there are some more ship types comming with the last development stage. Maybe some steam powered steel-based models. Would fit within the timeline and feel of the game.

Traslogan
02-01-2019, 01:04 AM
Well Anno has a long-standing history of having combat in it, as I noted even its lightweight handheld ports got proper land combat. Obviously there's a juggle between people who want combat and people who don't, but as you said you could turn off competitors if you just outright dislike combat. What we have atm is just a very rudimentary combat system, and it really isn't going to sate either party imo.

Buchsbaumi
02-01-2019, 01:22 AM
Well it wasn't the combat that I disliked - it was the waiting for half an hour to occupy 15 warehouses each on an otherwise empty island (that was in 1404 I think). And to be honest there wasn't much other land combat to be had anyway, so I'm not particularly sad that it's gone.

2070 did that way better where you could actually get somewhere with enough firepower. Provided you got over using aircrafts and the combat style in the first place.

2205.... I don't want to talk about combat in 2205....

DoStuffAndStuff
02-01-2019, 01:28 AM
Land combat would be good but only if the islands were bigger. With the current sizes it'd be just as flat and annoying as you describing naval combat to be. Right now there's no space for islands to be fought over, other than at sea.

Traslogan
02-01-2019, 01:30 AM
No one wants to talk about 2205, lol.

I'm not saying previous iterations were some perfect gem of balance, more just that they're a couple of steps in a better direction. The combat now might as well not be there, AIs don't seem particularly inclined to even go to war with one another, the pirates don't really raid you or anything, and then the actual rare time you go into combat, it's just a bit buggy and then nothing much to it.

I think what i'm trying to say is something like: If the combat is back because you know enough people wanted it, why leave it in such a barebones format? Barebones combat won't appease the passive city-builders, who are likely to just ally with everyone or turn off competitors if that's what they want, and I see no reason for this current combat to satisfy people coming from Anno 1404, 1701, and 2070.

YBDSimon
02-01-2019, 02:41 AM
the combat in anno is and always was very bad. For me personally that is not an issue, i dont like combat. We play multiplayer but we always only coexist and do our stuff or help each other out.
however if there would be combat it should be really done good like RTS game style. I could get behind a really good combat system warcraft style, however I think thats just not what anno is and never will be so for everbody who expects good combat anno is the wrong game. Actually I agree with this phylosophie since i think its impossible to integrate rts combat into the slow building anno world.
IF they would manage to do that, which I think is impossible, I would instantly turn it off.

kinsang_lee
02-01-2019, 03:14 AM
Have you play Anno 1701?
Anno 1701 land combat system was quite good if you judge it by 00s' standard.
I remembered those days we can held a full scale invasion on an island. That WAS epic

sebdecl
02-02-2019, 11:49 AM
I'm glad there's no land combat. For me Anno is about trading and economics. That's why I like the Anno and Tropico series. There's some combat, but you don't have to worry about building a strong army or defense buildings. (In tropico you do need a strong army because of rebels, but that's different than attacking armies.)