PDA

View Full Version : An agreeable armament guide?

PBNA-Boosher
03-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Do you mainly agree with my usage of these weapons?

Bullets

7.62mm / 7.92mm MG's:
Weapons for starting fires in fuel tanks, for PK's, for wreaking internal havoc, not necessarily for heavy structural damage. Most effective at HIGHLY close ranges, less than .1 kilometers.

12.7mm / 13mm / 15mm MG's / Some 20mm cannons like MG151/20:
Weapons for heavy internal structural damage. With large amounts of bullets it is possible to rip off parts of other aircraft, but this weapon should mainly be used to cripple to the point where combat is no longer possible, or at least extremely difficult for the enemy plane. Still most effective at less than .2 kilometers, but can still be very powerful outside these ranges, but inside .7 kilometers.

Hispano, ShVaK, MGFF, Type 99, 20mm / 23mm / 30mm / 37mm / 40mm cannons:
Weapons of heavy destruction. Best used in combination with larger caliber MG's, but on their own heavily powerful. Short bursts can easily dismantle the largest of fighters and bombers. Best used at a short distance, but not too close. I would say from distances of .1 to .3. Though some people have been known to get kills with these weapons at ranges of more than 1 kilometer, but by that distance the ballistics is almost impossible to judge. These weapons are so heavy that they can be equivocated to giant grapefruit catapults. Their ammunition drops significantly after firing it.

Rockets

General purpose rockets:
against trucks, unarmored buildings, unarmored ships, aircraft, etc...

Anti-Armor rockets:
Against armored targets, obviously, hardened shelters, tanks, also bombers like B-17's.

High Explosive Rockets:
like the heavy rockets on the Corsair, for use against heavily armored targets and buildings, especially ships like battleships and carriers.

Bombs

General purpose bombs
SC/FAB type bombs, for use against buildings, unarmored or lightly armored targets. Some tanks, but only a direct hit will really do you any good.

Anti-Armor bombs:
German SD bombs, For their name, against tanks, ships, hardened buildings and shelters.

High Explosive Bombs:
2000kg bombs, 2000lb bombs, for anti ship targets, etc..., the destruction of large amounts of land targets. Torpedoes also fit into this category, as does the Russian FAB-5000.

PBNA-Boosher
03-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Do you mainly agree with my usage of these weapons?

Bullets

7.62mm / 7.92mm MG's:
Weapons for starting fires in fuel tanks, for PK's, for wreaking internal havoc, not necessarily for heavy structural damage. Most effective at HIGHLY close ranges, less than .1 kilometers.

12.7mm / 13mm / 15mm MG's / Some 20mm cannons like MG151/20:
Weapons for heavy internal structural damage. With large amounts of bullets it is possible to rip off parts of other aircraft, but this weapon should mainly be used to cripple to the point where combat is no longer possible, or at least extremely difficult for the enemy plane. Still most effective at less than .2 kilometers, but can still be very powerful outside these ranges, but inside .7 kilometers.

Hispano, ShVaK, MGFF, Type 99, 20mm / 23mm / 30mm / 37mm / 40mm cannons:
Weapons of heavy destruction. Best used in combination with larger caliber MG's, but on their own heavily powerful. Short bursts can easily dismantle the largest of fighters and bombers. Best used at a short distance, but not too close. I would say from distances of .1 to .3. Though some people have been known to get kills with these weapons at ranges of more than 1 kilometer, but by that distance the ballistics is almost impossible to judge. These weapons are so heavy that they can be equivocated to giant grapefruit catapults. Their ammunition drops significantly after firing it.

Rockets

General purpose rockets:
against trucks, unarmored buildings, unarmored ships, aircraft, etc...

Anti-Armor rockets:
Against armored targets, obviously, hardened shelters, tanks, also bombers like B-17's.

High Explosive Rockets:
like the heavy rockets on the Corsair, for use against heavily armored targets and buildings, especially ships like battleships and carriers.

Bombs

General purpose bombs
SC/FAB type bombs, for use against buildings, unarmored or lightly armored targets. Some tanks, but only a direct hit will really do you any good.

Anti-Armor bombs:
German SD bombs, For their name, against tanks, ships, hardened buildings and shelters.

High Explosive Bombs:
2000kg bombs, 2000lb bombs, for anti ship targets, etc..., the destruction of large amounts of land targets. Torpedoes also fit into this category, as does the Russian FAB-5000.

LStarosta
03-26-2005, 05:56 PM
I disagree with your assessment of the HMG's. They should not be used past 400m, and serious pilots will not use them from beyond 300m.

And I would NOT group the Hispano/ShVAK, MGFF etc with 30mm (MK108, MK103 etc) nor would I group those with 37mm/40mm cannons. TOTALLY DIFFERENT WEAPONS.

PBNA-Boosher
03-26-2005, 06:02 PM
I normally shoot from 225, but I take some shots from 325. For A2A combat I agree, but ground combat I think a longer convergence is necessary.

THe reason I grouped those 20mm's with thoe 30 and 37mm guns is because of the destructive power I've seen them have. I have been able to take out an enemy 109 with 1 hispano hit, however sometimes if I hit the same 109 with a 37mm hit in the same spot, it takes repeated hits with that giant gun, sometimes 6 or 7 hits to bring it down. Same with the MK108.

LStarosta
03-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Ballistics and usage are different from 20mm cannons to 30mm cannons to 37+40mm cannons...

PBNA-Boosher
03-26-2005, 07:18 PM
Oh, I don't differ in opinion about that.

ImpStarDuece
03-26-2005, 11:46 PM
Depndes if you are talking about weapon classification or damage clasification. I generally clasify weapons in game by their damage potential.

My grouping is;

7-8mm Light Machine Guns

High velocity (~800m/s) and high rate of fire ( generally from 1000-1800 rpm) combined with a light round (~10 g) and little incidinary content

Little chance of structural damage unless striking vital components but high rate of fire means a high likley hood of something doing damage

Examples are;
MG 17, MG 81, Browining .303/.30, 7.7mm SAFAT, ShKAS, JApanese types, 98, 92, 97 and 1 as well as their mods.

12.7-15 mm Heavy Machine guns

Generally a heavier round (35-55 grams) with a little lower ROF (700-1000 rpm) higher HE content and high Muzzle velocity (730-1000 m/s)

End game effects are still unlikely to cause significant structural damage unles hitting in large numbers or the round has a high HE content (MG 151/15 or UBK). Will commonly damage or destroy internal components, cause fires, kill engines ect.

Large groupings (4 or more) have significant chances of structurally damaging vlunerable components (wing tips, tail section, alierons, elevators, bomber engines)

In game examples;
.50 cal Browning, MG 151/15, MG 131, UBK, 12.7 mm SAFAT, JApanese types 1,2 and 3.

20mm Light Cannon

Characterised by high round weight (90 -140 grams), medium rate of fire (400-800 rpm), high level of explosive content and high M/V (usually from 755-900 m/s but some are down at 500)

End game effects are large structural damage, destruction of control surfaces and large pieces of the airplane being blown off (wings, tailplanes, elevators). API rounds are also very likely to hit fuel tanks or engines.

In game examples;
Hispano II and IV, MG FF (M), MG 151/20, Shvak, B-20 and Japanese type 99 and Type 1 mod.

23-30mm Medium Cannon

High velocity cannon with very heavy weight (200 grams +), very high HE content and medium ROF (450-600 rpm).

Damage to vulnerable airframe areas is usually catastrophic, very likely to turn an airplane into small prices very quickly. Re****s seem somewhat random at times though.

In game examples;
YVa, NS-23, Mk 103, Mk 108, Ho-155

37-75mm Heavy cannon

Super heavy airborne cannon with very low ROF, very high HE content and usually a fairly decent m/v (about 600 m/s for most but the 37mms average about 750 m/s)

Generally cause catastrophic damage to either fighter or bomber airframes.

M4 37mm, M4 75mm, Bk-5, NS-37mm