PDA

View Full Version : abour radiator posistions!

junkers2006
12-17-2006, 10:51 AM
well i m flying with bf-109 g6 late, do the plane s performance on turnings improve when i close the radiator? which radiator posistion is the best for the dog fighting? well im fighting with la 5fn(just training)

junkers2006
12-17-2006, 10:51 AM
well i m flying with bf-109 g6 late, do the plane s performance on turnings improve when i close the radiator? which radiator posistion is the best for the dog fighting? well im fighting with la 5fn(just training)

FritzGryphon
12-17-2006, 03:06 PM
I've found that an open radiator reduces top speed by 20-30km/h, depending on aircraft.

It doesn't affect turning ability, except for that minor loss of acceleration.

Zeus-cat
12-17-2006, 03:20 PM
I always close my radiator flaps in combat. I should reduce the odds of taking a hit in the engine.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Zeus-cat

My Campaigns:
Straight Shot (9 missions in the Japanese Seaplane - A6M2-N "Rufe")
Straight Into an Icy Hell (14 missions for the Rufe in the Aleutians)
Straight Down (26 dive-bombing missions in a carrier-based SBD-3)
Straight Down Some More (19 more missions in a carrier-based SBD-3)
Straight and True (30 torpedo bomber missions in an IL-2T)

My campaign page at Miision4Today
http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&c=22

3.JG51_BigBear
12-17-2006, 03:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
I always close my radiator flaps in combat. I should reduce the odds of taking a hit in the engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that the case on all aircraft, I thought it only applied to the armour flaps on the Il2?

3.JG51_BigBear
12-17-2006, 03:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by junkers2006:
well i m flying with bf-109 g6 late, do the plane s performance on turnings improve when i close the radiator? which radiator posistion is the best for the dog fighting? well im fighting with la 5fn(just training) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With most 109s I like to use 2 or 4 position on the radiator and 95% throttle. I don't generally use more than 95% throttle on any plane unless I run into trouble. I've seen a lot of people recommend closing the radiators completely in a dive to go faster but I never notice that much of a difference and I generally can't remember to keep opening and closing the radiator.