PDA

View Full Version : A few very basic questions

akumadarkhadou
08-12-2009, 05:20 PM
1. When I am given Vector 310? Does that mean to fly towards heading 310? I assume as much.

2. Is there a way to change meters to feet? If not, no big deal.

3. Why are there multiple landing icons on a map? For example, I will fly towards home base and I cannot determine where to land because there are a bunch of lines with yellow icons--the one of the plane nosing down. So, how do I determine where my landing area is based on the map?

akumadarkhadou
08-12-2009, 05:20 PM
1. When I am given Vector 310? Does that mean to fly towards heading 310? I assume as much.

2. Is there a way to change meters to feet? If not, no big deal.

3. Why are there multiple landing icons on a map? For example, I will fly towards home base and I cannot determine where to land because there are a bunch of lines with yellow icons--the one of the plane nosing down. So, how do I determine where my landing area is based on the map?

SILVERFISH1992
08-12-2009, 05:26 PM
.1 yes, if I can remember. correct me if I'm wrong...

.2 go to controls and assign a key for 'toggle speedbar'

I use th 'o' key.

akumadarkhadou
08-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Thank youhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If you shoot a plane on the wing, will its make come off as opposed to it exploding if you shoot the engine? I am curious as to if shooting an enemy in a certain spot will yield different results. Is it possible to kill the pilot(s) (i.e. through the canopy) rendering their control of the aircraft useless?

SILVERFISH1992
08-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Yes...

AndyJWest
08-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Broadly speaking: yes.

Exactly how well this is modelled is a little controversial, and probably varies between different aircraft, but by and large, where you hit will be reflected in the damage done.

Most aircraft have their weakpoints, and as you get more experienced, you will learn to aim for them. For most multi-engined aircraft, you should aim for the engines, unless attacking head on (difficult to do anyway). Try targeting Ju 52s on the quick mission builder: you can sometimes spray a full load of machine-gum ammunition into the fuselage with little effect, but a few hits on an engine will set it alight - as soon as you see black smoke, you can safely assume it will crash, and move on to the next one.

As for killing the pilot it seems to be modelled too: sometimes a plane will plummet downwards with little sign of damage.

It works the other way round too: sometimes a hit from another aircraft will knock out your engine, sometimes take off a wing, and sometimes you will suddenly just get a black screen and a 'Pilot Killed' message. Damage to your wing usually results in poor handling characteristics, even if the plane is still flyable. A hit will often knock out one of the controls - if it is your rudder, you can probably keep control, but otherwise, bailing out is usually the only option (though you can sometimes at least struggle back to your own lines).

You can see damage from other effects too. I've taken the fin off a Bf 109 by diving under another aircraft a bit too late - and just about managed to land it in spite of the loss of directional stability. It is also possible to bend a propeller in a misjudged straffing run - the engine will stop, but you can glide on for a nice belly landing (wish I'd remembered to save that track...)

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Keep in mind that most of the radio chatter with vectors and such are not for you flight and should be ignored. As for the multiple landing icons, no clue, lol. Be sure to check out A Nugget's Guide To Getting Off The Ground.. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645)

WTE_Galway
08-12-2009, 06:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by akumadarkhadou:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on the situation. If you have asked ground control for a vector to home base then yes.

If you are talking about the random navigation announcements in game ... not necessarily.

1. Those vectors are usually the new vector to a new way point your flight leader is now flying at himself.

2. If you are not actually with or very near your flight that vector can get you totally lost. However if it matches a leg on your minimap it gives you a hint where to find your flight.

3. Due to a bug (which AFAIK has never been fixed) the flight leader occasionally announces a vector 180 degrees from the one he is actually flying

4. All voices for all flights are the same so sometimes the announcement you hear may be from another flight somewhere else on the map entirely. If a vector announced does not match any of your flights waypoints on the map ignore, its another flight.

akumadarkhadou
08-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Thank you both. It's good to know that il-2 is so detailed in terms of damagehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif So, most vectors are for other aircraft? How do you know which ones are yours or important?

WTE_Galway
08-12-2009, 07:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by akumadarkhadou:
Thank you both. It's good to know that il-2 is so detailed in terms of damagehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif So, most vectors are for other aircraft? How do you know which ones are yours or important? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ones for your flight will match one of the legs on the navigation minimap for your own flight. Your flight leader usually announces them when he reaches a waypoint and is lined up for the next one.

RPMcMurphy
08-12-2009, 07:19 PM
and if you ask for a 'vector to target' they will give you the azimuth to your next waypoint and the enemy you are trying to find will be in a totally different direction.

Zeus-cat
08-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Vectors are limited to 30 degree increments - 30, 60, 90, etc. The closest increment is the one called out. If the actual heaing should be 44 degrees, you will be told 30 degrees.

You should chec out my training campaign - Straight From the Farm. Follow the link below.

akumadarkhadou
08-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Zeus-cat, will dohttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thekid321
08-12-2009, 10:02 PM
I never use the radio vectors just because sometimes you end up flying the wrong direction. But online once, (dont ask how, i just got positioned lucky when i got shot.) I turned onto final and managed to land without alerons. I might have the track, I have to check. I'm not good, just lucky. definatly not good.

akumadarkhadou
08-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Okay, what doesn't make sense to me is why vectors even matter? It seems like, according to some who have responded to this topic, even if you get a vector from your flight lead, it could be wrong... Sure, I know where to go because I am following my flight lead, but what if I was the flight lead? I know there's a map, but what about the people who don't play with the map enabled? How do they know where to take their flight?

na85
08-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Okay, what doesn't make sense to me is why vectors even matter? It seems like, according to some who have responded to this topic, even if you get a vector from your flight lead, it could be wrong... Sure, I know where to go because I am following my flight lead, but what if I was the flight lead? I know there's a map, but what about the people who don't play with the map enabled? How do they know where to take their flight? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They just have to remember where the target was. You can request a vector to target in case you forget.

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Always study the mission briefing carefully and practice some basic navigation

akumadarkhadou
08-13-2009, 11:58 AM
ah, makes sense. thank you

WTE_Galway
08-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Another useful bit of info is that the minimap squares (unless you zoom right in) are 10 km across (14km diagonally) .

That means if you sit on 300kmh you will cover a map square every 2 minutes (3 minutes diagonally).

This info lets you calculate time to target and can also be a good guide to distance covered if map icons are off.

Zeus-cat
08-13-2009, 09:24 PM
You can fly like they really did in World War II, especially in the Pacific. Look at the map on the briefing screen.

Plot the distance and compass direction you need to fly from the first waypoint to the second. Then do 2 to 3, 3 to 4, etc. Figure out what speed you want to fly each leg. Compute the time you need to fly each leg by dividing distance by speed. Start the mission and fly the times you calculated. You may need a stopwatch to do it right, but if you did the math right you will fly right back to your base/ship.