PDA

View Full Version : More modern story and/or Isu.

Ohem1
01-26-2019, 06:25 PM
I know I'm one of the few who likes the modern story, particularly the Ezio trilogy. I liked where it went, followed through AC3, Unity and Syndicate. Origins being a real fresh of air in terms of historical setting, and characters - but no Juno. That's ok I thought and expected her return in the sequel given she's the main antagonist since AC2, but now that I've played through Odyssey and it is a pretty good game with most of the measures met it lacks the incentive to why I play these games. Yes the gameplay is fun and sure the historical setting is entertaining, but I'm more taken by the Isu.

I loved the mysticism and lore the Ezio trilogy offered along with the geometric architecture in Origins and Odyssey. But now it's so fragmented and the story just branches off of each other, less red thread to follow.

I dunno, I just want more Isu and Juno interactions, but since she's killed off in a comic I'm not sure I'm going to care for future instalments.

Dirtrider00
01-26-2019, 08:02 PM
I think the AC developers are actually in a jam right now. My hunch is while they know the core players will always buy, being that AC has 10 years of game lore and such, you have people like me that may have played an earlier title, and for whatever reason, just went meh, and moved along avoiding anything with the AC title in it. Then you have the new generation of gamers coming in, no ps3, xbox's, etc. to play the older games and honestly, most people aren't going to study up on 10 years of lore to make a new game understandable.

I only grabbed Odyssey on a friends recommendation and the fact he said it could be played as a standalone and then after watching some game footage and seeing Ubi selling it as a choices matter type of rpg, I bought it and loved it, at least up to the dlc. Put it up after that.

So the pickle is, as a core player, sounds like you are thinking about dropping the AC title with the direction the series is going, and as I loved Odyssey but have no interest in the AC lore side of the game, I won't be buying any future AC titles. I would buy say "Rome circa 20 BC" with a picture of Alexios/Kassandra on the ad as a standalone or separate game series.

show_stoppa
01-26-2019, 11:43 PM
I have played previous AC games and find that the games had 2 parts:

1) Gameplay part: which was about the setting being a historical period

2) Cut scenes part: which is some video about isu and first civ etc. And you play the entire game, and at the end they add 2-3 minutes cut scene video of isu and first civ stuff. That was the "lore" that everyone talks about, those few minutes cut scenes.

What has happened in the newer games is that they have removed those 'cut scenes', because they never really served any purpose other the ending cut scenes of the game. If you go as back as Ezio game, you will remember that "The Truth" wasn't even part of the main game. It was just something that you had to collect tons of small fragments for, and then you were able to construct a video about first civ. I never really collected those fragments, and ended up watching 'The Truth' video online.

ProdiGurl
01-27-2019, 12:08 AM
They aren't going to be able to appease both groups anymore becuz they're so far apart in preferences - the DLC2 is proof of that.
Granted, they probly compounded the issue w/ an error in judgment in some ways.
I didn't play it so I don't know & doubt I'd have much of any issue w/ it as others did becuz I get both camps of this game.

Maybe they could weave the lore into missions that you could bypass if you weren't interested in that line of content... like for example, the Cultists -
outside of needing to take out enough cultists to upgrade your broken spear, you really didn't HAVE to do cultist content.
So maybe they could tie it in somehow without forcing it upon every player within the game?
Then they'd have to make the main story mesh with that Lore. Not easy.

As a long time player, the main reason I never cared much about lore it is that I never fully understood it in the first place. When I started the Isu audio in Origins, I tried to grasp what it meant but couldn't - so I let itplay while I got up & made some lunch & waited for it to finish. :nonchalance:
The whole 1st Civ. was like watching the Matrix for the first time :confused:- but it would be even worse for new players to try to jump in & follow 10 years worth of all that.
Imo, it's been a deterrent to attracting new interest to this title.

Anyways, I get both sides on this but think the wiser move is to continue the new direction they set out to take and take their losses. They probably will since they just hired that new guy.
Outside of cleverly inserting lore/modern day just for traditional fans, I think they stand to lose more of both sides if they do a 1/2*** job in both directions.

FlyingMan78
01-27-2019, 07:01 AM
I loved too the mysticism and mystery back in the day, it felt “matrix-y” (when Matrix was still a thing) but now it's more an obstacle than anything. Both trying to appease the “lore” crowd with the same mechanics and story gizmos and trying to make new, appealing mechanics for a new era is incompatible. They’ll probably end up making a mess, like this DLC was, in contrast with the rest of the main game, that is.

Back in the day, I thought that the “animus” and the core determinism of this “lore” were the ball and chain of creativity, and time has proven me right. People are still complaining that you can’t have free will in this series, because “History is written, the animus user can’t change anything, etc”. It’s what happened in this DLC. You may hook up with several people in the main game, but in the end you’ll have to have a baby and put up with two lazy, good for nothing bums as “family”, just because the “lore” demands you to continue the “bloodline” and oh what a coincidence, one of them has a hidden blade. That connects this game to the rest of the series! (in the worst George Lucas fashion) [/sarcasm].

Maybe it’s just me, but they’d better off dropping the animus and the present stuff altogether and just making an action/adventure series set in a fictional History (with an H), each game being an independent chapter…That way Determinism 0 – Creativity 1. They’ll probably lose the lore-sters, like Prodi said, but maybe they’ll gain more than just trying to appeal two opposite groups with the same game.

Lysette88
01-27-2019, 11:02 AM
I never cared about this part of AC and tbh, it annoyed me to be pulled out of the animus action and having to play through a "modern day" sequence - for what, I am not interested into that part - this is why the movie failed IMO, it was too focused on modern day and too less on actual animus action. Basically most couldn't care less about the modern day story of AC - I wouldn't miss a thing, if it would be totally eliminated from the game.

When AC3 remastered will be out, you will see what I mean with it - there are sometimes sequences, where you are forced to play for 20 minutes in modern day whereas you just want to return to the animus - but no, you have to play this lengthy annoying piece of story to be able to return to it.

ProdiGurl
01-27-2019, 01:15 PM
I loved too the mysticism and mystery back in the day, it felt “matrix-y” (when Matrix was still a thing) but now it's more an obstacle than anything. Both trying to appease the “lore” crowd with the same mechanics and story gizmos and trying to make new, appealing mechanics for a new era is incompatible. They’ll probably end up making a mess, like this DLC was, in contrast with the rest of the main game, that is.

Back in the day, I thought that the “animus” and the core determinism of this “lore” were the ball and chain of creativity, and time has proven me right. People are still complaining that you can’t have free will in this series, because “History is written, the animus user can’t change anything, etc”. It’s what happened in this DLC. You may hook up with several people in the main game, but in the end you’ll have to have a baby and put up with two lazy, good for nothing bums as “family”, just because the “lore” demands you to continue the “bloodline” and oh what a coincidence, one of them has a hidden blade. That connects this game to the rest of the series! (in the worst George Lucas fashion) [/sarcasm].

Maybe it’s just me, but they’d better off dropping the animus and the present stuff altogether and just making an action/adventure series set in a fictional History (with an H), each game being an independent chapter…That way Determinism 0 – Creativity 1. They’ll probably lose the lore-sters, like Prodi said, but maybe they’ll gain more than just trying to appeal two opposite groups with the same game.
I think that too. And look, even when they did try to throw Traditionalists a bone, it wasn't appreciated anyway. (I know, the error in judgment part exists & it's possible that they may not even have liked the outcomes??).
You were in those DLC threads, did you see any thank you's for their attempt to appease them?
If not, it's even more reason to dump Lore and run. They don't even acknowledge how much AC has been left into this game.. and it's alot.

I'm sort of curious to know how many Traditional/Lore fans really do like this game and can move on from 'old AC' & evolve with the series?

I never cared about this part of AC and tbh, it annoyed me to be pulled out of the animus action and having to play through a "modern day" sequence - for what, I am not interested into that part - this is why the movie failed IMO, it was too focused on modern day and too less on actual animus action. Basically most couldn't care less about the modern day story of AC - I wouldn't miss a thing, if it would be totally eliminated from the game.

When AC3 remastered will be out, you will see what I mean with it - there are sometimes sequences, where you are forced to play for 20 minutes in modern day whereas you just want to return to the animus - but no, you have to play this lengthy annoying piece of story to be able to return to it.
I was really jolted when playing Brotherhood as my first game and as I was all enthralled into my gameplay, being ripped out and suddenly in an animus chair.
Completely breaks immersion & I was the same, all I wanted to do was get back to EZIO & Liberate towns.
But I'll be honest, the Modern Day was better then than later games.
I have got to replay that game. I miss it and I'm very curious to see what I'd like and not like now that we've had Origins & Odyssey's different format.

At least w/ Isu it's something they can 'hide' within the game if they want to appeal to them separately. I think Origins did it that way - but it's pretty pointless to alot when you don't understand a thing going on in their messages. I need a translator =)

Dirtrider00
01-27-2019, 03:33 PM
I'm kinda up in the air with Ubi's games overall. I only started playing games again about 4 years ago and only really started to branch out after I retired 2 years ago. I played FC5 last summer and now Odyssey. Actually loved playing both even though each had one or two things that I think needed tweeking or even removed, but overall easily overlooked.

FC5, well, I couldn't uninstall it fast enough after the ending.

Just reading some of your posts in here on Odyssey and AC, I'm pretty much, who, what, how the bleep are new gamers suppose to know that! I actually didn't have a problem with the Isu? Atlantis story line. Thought it was a fun way of explaining ancient mythology.

Then we get to the dlc. Can't even believe they thought the legacy content would be a good idea. Why not just use a email or have a 2 minute dialogue explaining it in the future, of a future game if it needed explaining. So confusing. :) I would have rather of just gotten some regular dlc so I could run around doing what my toon had been doing for the 300ish hours I already had.

Overall, I think Odyssey was a good starting point to give the new players a chance to get into the game, and one that the core gamers might have to take with a grain of salt, no offense.

As of now I can say that while I love Ubi's open worlds and exploring them, Ubi really needs to have a sit down with their writers because I think the writers are actually doing more harm than good. My end game is to play a game and have fun. So far their games have left me uninstalling one out of anger, and the other one has me thinking about throwing away 300 hours and possibly starting over without downloading the dlc along with questioning whether its worth purchasing any games from them in the future.

Dirtrider00
01-27-2019, 03:45 PM
Just had a thought. Scary...

Doesn't Ubi have 2 studios working on AC. Maybe its time to have one just work on AC and let the other branch out into a new open world rpg! Satisfies the core gamers and gives the new gamers more of what we got with Odyssey.

FlyingMan78
01-27-2019, 09:14 PM
I think that too. And look, even when they did try to throw Traditionalists a bone, it wasn't appreciated anyway. (I know, the error in judgment part exists & it's possible that they may not even have liked the outcomes??).
You were in those DLC threads, did you see any thank you's for their attempt to appease them?
If not, it's even more reason to dump Lore and run. They don't even acknowledge how much AC has been left into this game.. and it's alot.

Most of those people I’ve read already stated then that they wouldn’t buy the game, why would they bother with a DLC inside it? That’s another reason why the DLC shifting to lore is such a fiasco. When they promised they wouldn’t force a relationship on the player, everyone expected that philosophy to apply to DLCs as well. Certainly there are mini-games inside games that play in a different genre, but this is different. It’s as sneaky as it gets.

I'm sort of curious to know how many Traditional/Lore fans really do like this game and can move on from 'old AC' & evolve with the series?

Someday we should make a poll :D . I'm no traditionalist, but I bought every single game, and I can certainly move on. Adapt or die, a philosophy both for developers and players.

flambeau2
01-28-2019, 03:48 AM
I loved the modern day parts from the first games and I really enjoyed collecting pieces of information to form The Truth. I really miss this part of the game, I was so disappointed in Origins that there's no real modern day gameplay. I think Ubi could reintroduce modern day proper gameplay, with puzzles and etc, but make it optional. Like, pull you out of the Animus once to let you know there's stuff to be done outside it and that you can do it at anytime or don't do it at all. And then you never unplug again from the Animus if you don't want to

gbdeck200
02-01-2019, 05:17 PM
Problem is they put little focus on the modern day. I imagine if they didn't make it optional and cared for progressing it they could see old fans return.

Ac needs its modern day segment. Its structure doesn't work without it. 4 tried that which is why some like like, it was a focused pirate game so the main complaint was to things like full sync missions and tailing missions being too long which was an issue but not enough to remove them entirely. Then Unity a Syndicate lowered them to cutscenes making them irrelevant to the whole thing and lo and behold people say they want them gone. Origin comes in with playable part that's as empty as the first AC and Odyssey is AC2 levels so we're still below brotherhood and 3 in terms of design and focus

Without the modern day, the animus has no purpose and the story has no payoff. Choice is irrelevant and story has nothing come of it, series works best when its systems work consistently, animus need to synchronize, needs to follow the story as a result and can't fast forward to the end, that builds a focus to progression, progression to the story which opens of the world, improves shops, to traversal and all in turn to giving the modern day the information it needs to progress the main mission

when it doesn't lo and behold it doesn't work and people complain cause it feels off, unimportant, lacking in core features or features done worse than before
need that modern day, modern day missions, defined characters, a proper cycle to past and present story importance

If they put a focus to making the modern day interesting and how to give the information of past games in with digest-able bites of info than exposition dumping like Origins, and obviously stay consistent to its lore than half hazardly changing it to time alterations, it could work.

Zachary_81
02-15-2019, 10:35 PM
Personally I never cared for the Isu at all, or Juno for that matter. I loved origins because the modern sequence was just an badass archeologist using the animas to discover the life of a 30th dynasty medjay. What I liked is the isu never stole the Egyptian myth’s thunder so to speak. Like the afterlife and other “magical” weren’t just explained away elements of isu tech. Like they did with Medusa in oddesey which I did not like. I would be perfectly fine if they didn’t really do anymore with modern sequences or isu stuff. I play for the history and mythology myself.

UbiSnout
02-16-2019, 01:20 AM
Hello everyone,

We have noted the different feelings and feedback from the community regarding the phases of the game taking place within the modern time.
We are including them in our reports. ;)