PDA

View Full Version : Please Help with This kind of lag.

IZT
06-30-2005, 06:51 AM
2.66GHZ p4
1024 ram
6800GT
audigy 2zs

Well it seems im the only one runnign with such a low cpu on high, well it says that the graphics card is indeed powerfulhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I wish i had a better CPU though, but i got no cash, would have to change motherboard to get one. Sigh.

Anyway i wanna ask you guys about a porblem i have.

Im lagging, but not int he graphics department, or online, well online theres a little lag sometimes, everyone experiences this.

The main point is whenever i play a new game like Silent Hunter 3 for example or Act of War Diurect Action, my harddrive will being to process badly, it just keeps riunnign and running, and im getting lag from this, jittery screens. Im quite sure its not the CPU running as i can hear the HDD, and it makes thi very very loud noise short of griunding, cause its i dunnoe searchingg for files?? And its causing lag for quite a few games. Please Help. Thanks.

I don't think i need to change the hard drive?? the grinding sound is not actually grinding but more of a sound lik eover processing or something...**** im not sure.

IZT
06-30-2005, 06:51 AM
2.66GHZ p4
1024 ram
6800GT
audigy 2zs

Well it seems im the only one runnign with such a low cpu on high, well it says that the graphics card is indeed powerfulhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I wish i had a better CPU though, but i got no cash, would have to change motherboard to get one. Sigh.

Im lagging, but not int he graphics department, or online, well online theres a little lag sometimes, everyone experiences this.

The main point is whenever i play a new game like Silent Hunter 3 for example or Act of War Diurect Action, my harddrive will being to process badly, it just keeps riunnign and running, and im getting lag from this, jittery screens. Im quite sure its not the CPU running as i can hear the HDD, and it makes thi very very loud noise short of griunding, cause its i dunnoe searchingg for files?? And its causing lag for quite a few games. Please Help. Thanks.

I don't think i need to change the hard drive?? the grinding sound is not actually grinding but more of a sound lik eover processing or something...**** im not sure.

Jester_159th
06-30-2005, 07:03 AM
If your HDD is getting noisey then it could well need replacing. If I were you I'd make sure I'd got backups of all my important information just in case.

As it is I don't think a slow CPU bottlenecking your system will cause excessive HDD accessing. That type of thing would normally be your page file working overtime if you're lacking physical RAM...And with 1024MB that's not the case with your system.

Also there's a lot of folks on this forum using CPU's that are slower than yours. I don't think that's your problem with SH3.

SchroeterU-123
06-30-2005, 07:38 AM
Hi Jester_159th
I have a small question for you because I also get the FPS very low some times they are just 1 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif when I´m on the nav map or when there is a lot of action when I get the game I only have 512mb of RAM but now I have 1024mb RAM its better now my question is I have almost the same confi that IZT p4 2.66GHZ 1024RAM audigy 2 zs and my graphic card is a RADEON 9600 PRO so is that why I get so bad FPS the graphic card its old I know but i´m thinking on buy a RADEON 9800XP because to buy a pci exp card I have to buy a new motherboard will I have good FPS with the RADEON 9800XP but how good will they be ??
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

ndladis
06-30-2005, 07:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IZT:
2.66GHZ p4
1024 ram
6800GT
audigy 2zs

I don't think i need to change the hard drive?? the grinding sound is not actually grinding but more of a sound lik eover processing or something...**** im not sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has nothing to do with your CPU I have three PC"s at home with the same CPU. No problem with this or other game up to now.

I do not want to scare you but propably you are heading to a HD crash.
Back-up all your data and wait for the inevitable or change the HD!
The noises produced by the HD is more or less a hint that something nasty is going to happen.
I do not know of any tools in order to verify that, as I am a Linux man and this O/S gives specific info regarding this matter.

The_Third_Half
06-30-2005, 07:52 AM
Also i highly suggest turning off page-fileing, it's completly counter-productive to gaming.

Do a defrag scan with page filing on, prolly doesn't look soo bad, and even rather contigous. Now turn page filing off, and do another defrag scan, i bet it looks completly diffrent. Turn it off, defrag, and see if your still over-accessing your drive. If not good, if so, start backing up and saving for a new HD.

Jester_159th
06-30-2005, 08:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SchroeterU-123:
Hi Jester_159th
I have a small question for you because I also get the FPS very low some times they are just 1 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif when I´m on the nav map or when there is a lot of action when I get the game I only have 512mb of RAM but now I have 1024mb RAM its better now my question is I have almost the same confi that IZT p4 2.66GHZ 1024RAM audigy 2 zs and my graphic card is a RADEON 9600 PRO so is that why I get so bad FPS the graphic card its old I know but i´m thinking on buy a RADEON 9800XP because to buy a pci exp card I have to buy a new motherboard will I have good FPS with the RADEON 9800XP but how good will they be ??
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I'm running a Radeon 9800Pro, 2.4 gig CPU and 1024MB RAM. The game pretty well runs flawlessly. The only slowdowns I get are:

a) when using the periscope and the view is blurred by water running off the lens I get a slight but noticeable slowdown

b) when in the nav map at 1024 time compression the game will "pause" momentarilly every now and again.

c) with the new harbour buildings in the 1.4b patch I get a little FPS loss in some ports.

None of them really cause me any major problems and (since I know my CPU/ motherboard combination - the old type of P4 with the 512 FSB and smaller cache - is bottlenecking my system) I'd be pretty confident that if your CPU is faster than mine you'll have very few problems with a 9800XT ( especially since that card is slightly faster than the Pro version I've got).

Depending on your money situation though, you might want to consider an AGP version of the X-800 or Nvidia 6800. There's quite a few guys around with those cards. I'm pretty sure they'll be able to tell you how well they perform.

Hope this helps a bit.

IZT
06-30-2005, 11:36 AM
Wow, guys thanks for all your help. So is this page file thing, i should turn it off? is it the one managed by windows, um virtual ram? How do i turn off the page file thing?

how long do HDDs last anyway? This ones about 2 years or so. I already backed up all my stuff on an external HDD a long time ago. Is there an image program i should use to copy the whole image of the drive over? or is it better to just copy and paste files that i need?

This is quite frustrating, i mean i don't lag at all with MAX graphcs, 4xAA and 8x AF, but sometimes the game freezes for a while, thyen continues smoothly again..., and not only for SH3, other games like Act Of War too.

If i were to change HDDs i have to do a complete system reboot right...man, thats SOOO time consuming.

plenten
06-30-2005, 12:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IZT:
Wow, guys thanks for all your help. So is this page file thing, i should turn it off? is it the one managed by windows, um virtual ram? How do i turn off the page file thing?

how long do HDDs last anyway? This ones about 2 years or so. I already backed up all my stuff on an external HDD a long time ago. Is there an image program i should use to copy the whole image of the drive over? or is it better to just copy and paste files that i need?

This is quite frustrating, i mean i don't lag at all with MAX graphcs, 4xAA and 8x AF, but sometimes the game freezes for a while, thyen continues smoothly again..., and not only for SH3, other games like Act Of War too.

If i were to change HDDs i have to do a complete system reboot right...man, thats SOOO time consuming. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

About last thing. Installing windows on new hard drive aint that time consuming. I do this, unfortunately, at work. Just let it run, push a view buttons now and than. If you are really going for it, you could have a new HD installed like original in a day.

IZT
06-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Yea i know that. I've rebooted a few coms my self by time consuming i mean time that can be used to play http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Jester_159th
06-30-2005, 04:25 PM
It's difficult to say how long a HDD will last. There's a lot of variables that'll effect it.

If you're wanting to image your HDD, the only reliable imaging software I've ever used was Norton Ghost. But that was a long time back and there have probably been better products released since then.