PDA

View Full Version : 109 TARGET leading?

CrazyOWl
09-22-2008, 07:39 PM
So here my question.

I am having problem getting a good leading kill in the 109. what I mean is when ever I am going to stard leading a plane to get a good snap shoot I cant cause of the 109 plane frame block. I am using a track ir, and for what i know the only motion i got with it is looking around but i cant go up or down or side to side in head movement. so for endi no leading shoot, and also I dont like to use external views .always using inside view.

So its there a way to fixing this in the 109 or similar planes or is there are nothing i can do.

ps srry for my writting.

CrazyOWl
09-22-2008, 07:39 PM
So here my question.

I am having problem getting a good leading kill in the 109. what I mean is when ever I am going to stard leading a plane to get a good snap shoot I cant cause of the 109 plane frame block. I am using a track ir, and for what i know the only motion i got with it is looking around but i cant go up or down or side to side in head movement. so for endi no leading shoot, and also I dont like to use external views .always using inside view.

So its there a way to fixing this in the 109 or similar planes or is there are nothing i can do.

ps srry for my writting.

Lurch1962
09-22-2008, 08:08 PM
This is something you'll have to live with, just like real life pilots did. At large lead angles, you'll have to pull the nose until the bandit disappears behind the cowling, fire off a squirt, and then ease off on the stick a bit to observe effects.

WTE_Galway
09-22-2008, 08:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CrazyOWl:
So here my question.

ps srry for my writting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have trackIr there are "unofficial" mods that give 6DOF and hence the ability to move your head about in the cockpit.

I personally do not endorse or use the mods at all but I am in the minority on that decision.

Its a free world, if you are interested in the 6DOF mod read through the "why people use mods" thread and you will get plenty of information.

M_Gunz
09-22-2008, 09:30 PM
There's plenty of view above the ring. It's your job to have the enemy cross relative to
over your head instead of under your nose. And you won't have pull much G's to do it.

When intercepting for deflection, fly towards a point well ahead of the target. You want
your path and his to cross at a pretty sharp angle which you will change by rolling till
he's 'above' you and pulling some stick. Hard part is not ramming. Be sure to shoot but
don't take long to aim if you do at all. It's about like scissors shooting except if the
target hasn't seen you then it's more like half-scissors.

How would you defend against a faster mover doing that to you?

joejoemonkey
09-22-2008, 09:33 PM
if you want to make it easier (?) make your deflection shots inverted. or try from a shallower angle.

as for the 6dof mod. i cant imagine anyone with the equipment not using it. its just spectacular. just remember to copy your game folder so when you play online you can use a clean un-modded version without the hassle of uninstalling/reinstalling everything.

M_Gunz
09-23-2008, 12:40 AM
If you're trying to follow his curve then you won't be running at much lower an energy path
if lower at all than your target. You will be burning E at nearer the same, maybe higher rate
depending on path and if your plane turns with less bleed or not.

I talk about getting shot solutions using lower G moves, 2 to 3 G's instead or 4 to 6.

Come in from the behind and to the side, when you turn to attack it's how far back you are when
you start and how far ahead of his nose you stop turning your aim that sets the deflection angle.
It's all distances and timing, his plane relative to yours. How long before his plane sweeps
across your sight and did you fire soon enough for the shots to get there?

I read from Hartmann that he would come down on an indirect course and from close range off the
left wing (target's 8 or 9?) he would execute a rude turn into the target and fire, keep pulling
through and exit behind the target and across his path. He had nose cannon. That close and
you don't aim, you point and hit with nose cannon while wing guns might only bracket nicely.

Afterhours
09-23-2008, 07:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lurch1962:
This is something you'll have to live with, just like real life pilots did. At large lead angles, you'll have to pull the nose until the bandit disappears behind the cowling, fire off a squirt, and then ease off on the stick a bit to observe effects. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is absolutely right. You just have to practice. In time you will be able to keep a mental image of where the enemy aircraft is that is hidden behind parts of your aircraft, almost like having x-ray vision, and you will be able to fire your guns, hit it and then know where to look to see it re-appear.

It is one of the skills that was necessary in WWII, and is necessary when flying this sim on hard settings.

Over and over I have turned inside and with an opponent so that he was hidden from view, fired my rounds in a completely blind shot, and when I straighten out and roll level he is destroyed.
All this is is experience and practice, there is no trick to it at all, especially in the axis and early war craft with no fancy gunsights.

Then to, this skill is one of the most important to have to be successful. Lots of us fly around in coops and dogfights shooting our guns, but if you look at the percentage of hits it is really bad.

If you can get a good effective hit with every other shot you take, that is half of them, then you are doing as well as most top IL2 aces.

Even if you are a good pilot and can get into a firing position over your opponent most of the time, if you cannot make an effective hit on him then you are mostly ineffective except as a distraction.

If you can make frequent good hits from any angle as you fly along through the battle area, then you can almost single handedly dominate a server for this sim and do a great deal to help complete mission and map objectives by disabling enemy aircraft and protecting your assets on the ground.

I have some tracks posted in other threads with some at least decent examples of gunnery on hard settngs.

CrazyOWl
09-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Tnhzk everyone for the quick respond. Can anyone give me a quick link to download the 6mod for track-ir. And what file I have to replace and what file to safe cause I dont have that knowledge to figure out what file to safe. just whant to try it. and a question the 6mod cant be use in online mode?

tnhkz plp &lt;S&gt;

WTE_Galway
09-23-2008, 05:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CrazyOWl:
Tnhzk everyone for the quick respond. Can anyone give me a quick link to download the 6mod for track-ir. And what file I have to replace and what file to safe cause I dont have that knowledge to figure out what file to safe. just whant to try it. and a question the 6mod cant be use in online mode?

tnhkz plp &lt;S&gt; </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it is not permitted to post links in this forum.

However if you read the mod thread you will come across plenty of hints about where to look.