PDA

View Full Version : I need some help

twodaysshort
04-02-2009, 09:40 PM
I CAN'T EVEN LAND.

I can take off easily, take of carriers, basic stuff and I can fly pretty well IMO for someone who's had this game for less than a week. But for the past hour i've been trying to land a wildcat and it seems every time i get around 80m off the ground, my plane just flips over to the left. what could I be doing wrong?

twodaysshort
04-02-2009, 09:40 PM
I CAN'T EVEN LAND.

I can take off easily, take of carriers, basic stuff and I can fly pretty well IMO for someone who's had this game for less than a week. But for the past hour i've been trying to land a wildcat and it seems every time i get around 80m off the ground, my plane just flips over to the left. what could I be doing wrong?

Ritter_Cuda
04-02-2009, 09:51 PM
one go here www.joint-ops.com (http://www.joint-ops.com)
two are you using flaps? sound like you are too slow and stalling on landing. when you land you fly down the runway and let the plane settle on the strip. most first fliers try to land on the front edge. and crash because of too high of aot or too fast or stall

twodaysshort
04-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Yea, i set flaps to landing.

I come in about 120-130 km/h

Ritter_Cuda
04-02-2009, 10:26 PM
too slow take the plane up fly level slow down drop your flaps and gear. (this is called dirty) keep the plane level and slow until one wing dips. this is your dirty stall speed don't go that slow

Ba5tard5word
04-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Landing is VERY hard at first but after a while you'll get the hang of it and be able to do it really easily.

I try to come in with most planes at around 200 kph, and the throttle maybe around 35%, flaps and gear down. It's maybe a bit faster than I need to but I won't stall out or flip over. When I hit the ground and stay down (rather than bouncing up which happens if you come in too fast) I put the engine to zero and pump my wheel brakes. Once you slow down some, pull back on the stick to pull your nose up and your tail down--if you do this when you're moving too fast though, you will fly back up into the air but with no engine power and that's not good. Once your tail is down keep pumping the brakes--if you hold down the brakes key you will flip forward and wreck your plane. Eventually you'll come to a standstill.

With most planes you can land fine if you just come in totally flat, but some planes like the Tempest you need to come in with your nose tilted up a fair bit--otherwise the tail will bounce up and your prop will get knocked off. Basically come in at a perfect speed where your nose is tilted up and you're slowly floating downward and forwards at the same time, it takes a ton of practice.

At first I'd recommend trying planes with tricycle landing gear like the P-38 and P-39, they are much more forgiving. Then when you get used to how the plane reacts when it hits the ground, you can try other planes.

I'm sure there are tons of tutorials and videos out there though.

Ba5tard5word
04-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Oh yeah and carrier landings are the toughest, you have to come in really slow, and tilted up so your arrestor hook catches on the cables on the deck.

I still crash most of the time when I try a carrier landing, they're really tricky and I need more practice.

X32Wright
04-03-2009, 12:01 AM
This is a trick I tell trainees to do if they have difficulty landing:

1) Approach long and far onced you are lined up do the following:

2) Drop throttle to 35% until the airspeed reaches 280 and keep it there. Increase throttle if your speed drops too low. Once you get a stable 280kph drop COMBAT flaps and keep you speed to 280kph until you are near the landing strip.

3) Deploy LANDING flaps once you are near the landing strip, you speed on touch down should be at 180kph.

4) Once your wheels touch the ground place the throttle at IDLE which is 10% throttle.

The secret in most cases is keeping your throttle at 35% initially on appraoch to the landing strip and dropping it lower until you get 180kph on almost touchdown. This almost always works unless you are flying a Me262 or He-162 or Me-163 or any of the jets as well as an FW-190 which likes to land at high speed.

I hope this helps.

Chevy350
04-03-2009, 01:31 AM
drop the throttle to zero, open rads, gear down, full flaps

come in in a full skid at about a 45 degree angle down

going about 320 kmh trying with all your heart to slow yourself down

then pull up sharply to slow down to about 230 kmh and almost throw yourself in a snap roll

hit the ground about 30 yards to the left of the runway praying to god for life

bounce back up 20 feet, stall while trying to correct your plane

hit the ground again, only this time half sideways

break off your wing, prop, and landing gear

and there you are, safe on the ground.

thats how i do it every time, and it works perfect.

kind of. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

M_Gunz
04-03-2009, 01:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by twodaysshort:
I CAN'T EVEN LAND.

I can take off easily, take of carriers, basic stuff and I can fly pretty well IMO for someone who's had this game for less than a week. But for the past hour i've been trying to land a wildcat and it seems every time i get around 80m off the ground, my plane just flips over to the left. what could I be doing wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your wing is dropping because you are beginning to stall and not holding the plane against its own force.
One thing is you may be getting a bit too slow. If so, let the nose down just a little bit and use pitch to control
speed and power to control descent keeping just above stall speed while doing so or you're screwed.

What you need to do to correct the wing drop is to RUDDER AWAY from the dropping wing, it shouldn't take much.

You should NOT USE SIDE STICK to correct the roll.
Doing that makes more drag on the dropping wing which only makes things worse and easily ends in a spin.

You may have to "dance on the rudder pedals" if you get too slow too fast, still too high. Next time, don't.

ADD: BTW, two days short? Shouldn't you be packing and saying goodbye to all your buddies instead of playing games?

Waldo.Pepper
04-03-2009, 02:16 AM
How to video.

http://video.google.ca/videopl...-2463442122151151548 (http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-2463442122151151548)

Compared to reality...

http://video.google.ca/videopl...=-133388303005665466 (http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-133388303005665466)

Those are nice but mine is a 3 pointer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jamesblonde1979
04-03-2009, 02:52 AM
At low speeds remember to correct with rudder, not aileron.

DKoor
04-03-2009, 03:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by X32Wright:
The secret in most cases is keeping your throttle at 35% </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, I can confirm that too... I always keep my throttle around 30-40% during landing patter. I have realized that way I'm able to hold on stable speed, and by reducing it a little (and/or deploying full flaps) I can get the airplane to "sink" a bit which is good for carrier ops especially.

BTW twodaysshort, check out if your carrier is sailing or not. It is much harder to do takeoff/landing on stationery ship.

danjama
04-03-2009, 07:06 AM
My procedure is line up far away at about 500-700m.

Throttle - 30-40%
Prop Pitch - 30-50%
Flaps fully lowered
Gear down.
lights on.
Open Rad in some planes.
I also have a little technique to lose speed where i shake the planes *** about with the rudder. This kills speed in a hurry so you can get "dirty" quickly.
Keep her pointed at the runway with a minimum speed of 200kmh/120mph, by varying the above.
2 seconds before landing cut throttle and reduce speed to 180kmh and settle the plane down. Doesnt have to be nose up, just get her down. We can worry about it being pretty later.

M_Gunz
04-03-2009, 09:05 AM
You really want to keep the prop speed full with throttle low as IRL.
It's very good for speed control and if you have to abort landing then you don't have to wait for the prop to speed up.

Landings: control speed with pitch (stick) and height/descent with power (throttle).
Approach at Stall + 30% then lower at the final, try to stall just as you touch down.

GIAP.Shura
04-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Learning to land well is about finding a consistent approach and glide slope which works for you. Here is a video which you might find useful:

Link. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD5WkusBMQ0)

DKoor
04-03-2009, 09:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
It's very good for speed control and if you have to abort landing then you don't have to wait for the prop to speed up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My findings exactly... I actually raised pp to 100% on some aircraft that have it on auto such is especially FW-190, it's a very useful thing to do on würger when on landing pattern. I noticed aircraft tendency to decelerate more quickly when throttle is cut (pp100).

Swivet
04-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Keep your nose up, but not too much..Regulate your speed, if it's too low you will tend to go left unless ya keep that spinner spinning with torque. Use trim and of course flaps...Most of all practice and practice patience..Look at the ground when your on the runway and try to use that as a guide to know when your wheels are going to touch. Practice flying around at low altitudes (tree level) with flaps, that helped me allot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Sillius_Sodus
04-03-2009, 11:07 AM
I've watched the ai land on the Corsair on a carrier and it approaches at around 120-130 km/h. The ai keeps the approach angle fairly steep, which means it is not using much power. When I try it I tend to flatten out the approach which means I have to add power to maintain speed which in turn causes me to flip over due to engine torque if I try to keep the speed at 120-130.

I like to approach at 200 km/h, when I am just over the fantail of the carrier I cut the power. The drag caused by gear and full flaps slows the plane down very quickly so I don't overshoot.

In time you will find the way that works best for you, just don't give up! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Ritter_Cuda
04-03-2009, 11:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sillius_Sodus:
I've watched the ai land on the Corsair on a carrier and it approaches at around 120-130 km/h. The ai keeps the approach angle fairly steep, which means it is not using much power. When I try it I tend to flatten out the approach which means I have to add power to maintain speed which in turn causes me to flip over due to engine torque if I try to keep the speed at 120-130.

I like to approach at 200 km/h, when I am just over the fantail of the carrier I cut the power. The drag caused by gear and full flaps slows the plane down very quickly so I don't overshoot.

In time you will find the way that works best for you, just don't give up! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and the AI cheats

M_Gunz
04-03-2009, 09:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DKoor:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
It's very good for speed control and if you have to abort landing then you don't have to wait for the prop to speed up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My findings exactly... I actually raised pp to 100% on some aircraft that have it on auto such is especially FW-190, it's a very useful thing to do on würger when on landing pattern. I noticed aircraft tendency to decelerate more quickly when throttle is cut (pp100). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes if you have prop speed at full and low power it forces the blades to fine pitch until the plane slows way down,
maybe even still on fine. Lowering prop rpm along with power is like freewheeling by comparison.
In game you -can- cut power to idle and have the prop near totally drive the engine at ridiculous speeds with no
damage ( well over 700 kph ) to the prop gearing or engine. But down around gear lowering speeds (at least) it's not
unreal. The same could handle high speed dives to where the prop drove the engine, they could take some abuse.

Blindman-
04-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Try the training missions in my signature. They down load with lots of good instructions for such things as landing on airfields and aircraft carriers. Plus they are loads of fun.

Welcome to your new addiction.