PDA

View Full Version : coming from MS Flight Simulator

gwgardner2
07-24-2007, 05:13 PM
I got Pacific Fighters as a gift a year ago, and as a long-time fan of Microsoft Flight Simulator I was immediately turned off by the interface in this game. The controls were just too far off from FS - certainly not intuitive.

Just wondering how many others have struggled coming over from the MSFS world, and if anyone has tips on how to make the transition or get the most out of this very different simulator, when one is used to MSFS.

Right now I'm starting in on Zeus-Cat's Straight from the Farm missions. Wish I had known about that, if it was available, a year ago. By the way, thanks Zeus-Cat.

gwgardner2
07-24-2007, 05:13 PM
I got Pacific Fighters as a gift a year ago, and as a long-time fan of Microsoft Flight Simulator I was immediately turned off by the interface in this game. The controls were just too far off from FS - certainly not intuitive.

Just wondering how many others have struggled coming over from the MSFS world, and if anyone has tips on how to make the transition or get the most out of this very different simulator, when one is used to MSFS.

Right now I'm starting in on Zeus-Cat's Straight from the Farm missions. Wish I had known about that, if it was available, a year ago. By the way, thanks Zeus-Cat.

Zeus-cat
07-24-2007, 09:00 PM
I only made the "Straight From the Farm" campaign a few months ago. There seemed to be a lot of new people with the release of the IL-2 1946 DVD so I made the campaign to help new players.

I agree that the interface is a litle clunky. I think most of that can be attributed to the fact that the development team is Russian. Still, most people here can put that aside given the quality of the game itself.

Waldo.Pepper
07-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Once you go Oleg you never go back.

Crash_Moses
07-24-2007, 10:40 PM
You're right about the controls! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

But it's well worth the effort to go through and map them all.

Welcome to the forums. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

S!

Skycat_2
07-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Coming from Jane's WWII Fighters to the original version of IL-2 Sturmovik, I initially thought that IL-2 menus were difficult to navigate. And IL-2 was much less 'featured' back then!

I think it is more a matter of what you get used to. I was well versed in IL-2, IL-2 Forgotten Battles and the Combat Flight Simulator series (all three versions), European Air War and a few other titles including FS 98 when I picked up FS2004 when it was a new release. I had skipped FS2002, and I remember being frustrated by FS's setup menus and interface at first. It took me a while to 'get it' so to speak. I'm still a total novice when it comes to planning FS flights and other in-depth applications.

msalama
07-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Yup, the GUI kinda sucks, but the overall physics modelling is miles better than what FS9 has IMO. The individual plane FMs seem to generate some debates every now and then however http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Stuntie
07-25-2007, 02:48 AM
The UI is not the most user friendly, nor the most adaptable. Especially in comparisson to MSFS. Also some elements such as Mixture and multi engines are handled in an idosynchratic manner that leaves much to be desired.

I just hope they give the UI an overhaul for SOW.

stansdds
07-25-2007, 04:27 AM
I agree, the user interface is not very good, especially when it comes to graphics settings, hopefully this will be addressed in BoB. I also fly in FS2004, but I use this sim when I feel like blowing up things.

Bearcat99
07-25-2007, 06:14 AM
First off.... get IL2 1946 if you have not done so. You wont be sorry. Secondly.... I came here from CFS..... back in 02.. and I found the interface to be a tad clunky at first.. but if you look at it it is pretty straight forward and simple. The FMB is a bit cumbersome.. but then again it is so fully featured and there are enough tutorials and third party utes around to make that a moot point. Welcome aboard.

gwgardner2
07-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Thx for the replies.

I'm gettin there, learning to like it.

My biggest problem right now, I guess, is inside the cockpit. I'm used to being able to run the mouse cursor over the instruments and get tooltip info on current settings, etc. I'm having great difficulty reading the instruments in PF, except when in the most closeup view.

msalama
07-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Pick up a plane that you like - or max. 2 - and learn their gauges by heart. After a while you'll be able to read them roughly even in the far view. Ain't nothing precise but in the ballpark still!

Works for me at least http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Stuntie
07-26-2007, 01:29 AM
map the gunsight view (and back to normal view)to a joystick button.
As well as getting a good firing view you can then pan down for a close up on some of those hard to read guages.

Additionally map the Tool bar (tool bar or status bar, I forget what its called) to a key.
You can then cycle through Km/mph/kts etc. to match aircraft and what you are familar with.

-HH-Quazi
07-26-2007, 03:47 AM
Also, if you have a bit of time, check out www.joint-ops.com (http://www.joint-ops.com) You may have heard of it through CFS. Any way, it is a virtual flight school using IL-2. If you can dedicate every other evening for a couple weeks to get through Basic Flight School, the advanced courses that are offered afterwards are well worth the time and are only given once a week usually on Saturdays.

Bearcat99
07-26-2007, 03:00 PM
I have found that TIR and mapping a key to increase decrease FOV.. particularly if you have either a Saitek or CH stick.. or actually any stick where you can set the button to repeat as long as the key is pressed... works wonders. You might also want to look at the cockpit reference page that is listed in the Essentials thread in my sig. One thing I have found about this sim.... @90 of the things that appear as obstacles upon first inspection wind up being addressed by some of the great community member made utilities available and continued practice... the other 10% you just lean to overcome.

gwgardner2
07-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Awesome! Thanks again for all the advice and links.

fuser59
07-30-2007, 06:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
First off.... get IL2 1946 if you have not done so. You wont be sorry. Secondly.... I came here from CFS..... back in 02.. and I found the interface to be a tad clunky at first.. but if you look at it it is pretty straight forward and simple. The FMB is a bit cumbersome.. but then again it is so fully featured and there are enough tutorials and third party utes around to make that a moot point. Welcome aboard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You think the FMB is hard for IL2 1946? Just try the one for FSX! LOL

NL_snake_eye_NL
07-31-2007, 12:22 PM
Hi I played alot of ms combat flight sim 1&2 and was looking forward to cfs 3 but when it came........ well we all know that story....... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif mean while I played the original il2 but found it difficult compared to cfs, but much more realistic and fun. I switch much between cfs2 and il2. But il2 won it over cfs2. I started on easy settings and step by step put the settings higher. I play this game now for 5 years and still love it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Joining a squad added much more fun to this sim for me. And now waiting for the next game 'Battle of brittain'

Have fun flying!!

greetz snake eye A.K.A. 1.JaVA_Naj-Treg

Bearcat99
07-31-2007, 06:50 PM
Thats pretty much my story.. but I didnt spend too much time with CFS2.. I got IL2 @ a 2 weeks before CFS3 came out.. and that was that.

gwgardner2
07-31-2007, 08:57 PM
I always wondered why Combat Flight Simulator didn't use the same underlying software engine as MS Flight Simulator.

Skunk_438RCAF
08-01-2007, 05:50 PM
It did, up until CFS3. CFS1 was based on the same engine as FS98 and CFS2 was based on the FS2000 engine. I dont know why they let go of the FS engine for their combat series.

dragonfly1946
08-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi all
I'm new to Pacific Fighters, loaded it for the first time 2 weeks ago, and had all sorts of problems but I found this community and boy there are some really smart, helpful people out there. After solving some video and program crashing problems and patching I am finally at the point where I can start exploring the game. Like many of you I come from the CFS world and can't help making comparisons but PF looks and fly's better (I think).I don't like those long winded recon flights in pilot carriers but I got the time compression command working, but dose anyone know if you miss any combat while your jumping from waypoint to way point?
Anyway nice meeting you all and I'll be following along and maybe some day I'll be able to help someone out. I still have to figure out just what to do with IL2 Sturmovik and Lock On which came in the set.

FoolTrottel
08-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Welcome here!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">dose anyone know if you miss any combat while your jumping from waypoint to way point? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Basically, no.

Unless... the mission creator built a mission in which you may find some action by taking a different route than the planned out one...

The Original Sturmovik?
Install it, play it, enjoy it.
Then get back to PF.

Finally, get 'IL2 Sturmovik 1946' ... more maps, more planes, more fun...

Skycat_2
08-18-2007, 01:16 PM
IL-2 Sturmovik is still a good game. The campaign system is different than with Pacific Fighters; each mission is scripted so you get some interesting scenarios and side events. Overall the installment doesn't take much space on your harddrive (less than a gig as I recall) and the combat will likely suit your tastes because the airbases are usually located close to the front lines.

You can send me LOMAC because I've never tried it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bearcat99
08-28-2007, 11:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dragonfly1946:
Hi all
I'm new to Pacific Fighters, loaded it for the first time 2 weeks ago, and had all sorts of problems but I found this community and boy there are some really smart, helpful people out there. After solving some video and program crashing problems and patching I am finally at the point where I can start exploring the game. Like many of you I come from the CFS world and can't help making comparisons but PF looks and fly's better (I think).I don't like those long winded recon flights in pilot carriers but I got the time compression command working, but dose anyone know if you miss any combat while your jumping from waypoint to way point?
Anyway nice meeting you all and I'll be following along and maybe some day I'll be able to help someone out. I still have to figure out just what to do with IL2 Sturmovik and Lock On which came in the set. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to buy IL2 1946.. especially now since it is on sale at Circuit City for $9.99. I paid $34.99 I think it was.... and to me the extra $25 was worth the extra 6 months enjoying the sim.