PDA

View Full Version : Germany and the Anno series

RazorBlade185
01-08-2019, 02:23 PM
We know that the Anno series is made by a German group of developers and we also see that the Anno series is very popular in Germany but I think they should stop focusing on Germany and conquer the world. By costantly focusing on the German market they neglect the rest of the world. There is far more attention on the German language then anything else. The result is a self forfilling provecy. You have a lot of German customers so you focus your marketing on Germany and you get even more German custumors. Since the Englisch speaking market is potentially much bigger then the German market, why woud you focus so much on the German market?

Ubi-O5
01-09-2019, 01:25 PM
I am not sure i can share the observation that we focus more on the german market, considering we're making an effort to have all our blogs, social media content etc in English as well in German.
We are even holding our streams in English, as we know that we can reach more Anno fans this way, as Germans tend to speak English rather well, and our experience of a year of streaming confirms this for us.

What kind of focus would you like to see? I'm personally very invested in hearing what international Anno fans would like us to do differently.

RazorBlade185
01-09-2019, 02:55 PM
Well, it should be the other way around imho. You say you are making an effort to make all your blogs, social media content etc, in English as well as in German. It should be in English and when there is time left you should do it in German as well.

Let me give a few examples because that might be clearer what I mean. When you open http://www.anno-union.com you are confronted with a very nice trailer in German. Even when you have your language set to English you still get a German trailer. This is your frontpage of your most important channel to the community. You speak both language fluid but try to imagine that you get a trailer in a language that is not your own like e.g. Finish. You would be surprised right?

Also when I search on YouTube for Anno 1800 content I get far more German hits then English hits. You might say that YouTube is not your official channel but in a lot of German interviews are employees of Blue Bite that speak German. Here are a few examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFj6_rttFkg&t=141s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50yqWYEdNzA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNnVxMz6-e0

This is of course no surprise since you chose to go to the Gamescom rather then a game show in e.g. the US. Then you can of course expect more interviews in German.

Then there is the Christmas greetings that were done in German and subtitled in English. The Anno cast were first done in German and only on the second day we got English. That should be at least the other way arround but even better, 2 days in Englisch with Geman subtitles available.

I know this is slightly hard for me to explain because it is a mindset issue. You think you are serving the English community in a good manner but you should be thinking that you serve the German community in a good manner and English should be the default. The problem now is that you have a huge German community so you tend to focus on them. On the other hand the English community is potentialy much bigger and I think that if you focus more on that market that you will also get more English speaking community members. The games are a lot of fun so the product is good. There is no obvious reason why the English community is smaller then the German community with the exception that the marketing has always been focused on the German market.

stylisticsagi
01-09-2019, 08:33 PM
Imagine being a dutch speaking belgian who get's french, english and german stuffed in his throat on a daily basis just by walking outside ;).

I think the dev's do there very best to do everything in as many great languages as possible while still remaining their proud german community.

Nox_29
01-10-2019, 12:35 PM
I do have to say it can be a bit annoying when you're trying to look up some info about the game and you're usually greeted with only German results, be it on Google or YouTube. But it's not really a thing that Blue Byte has control over. It seems like the only content creators that are really involved with the game are German and they tend to make their content in German. At least YouTube has a somewhat decent auto-subtitling.

RazorBlade185
01-10-2019, 04:16 PM
I do have to say it can be a bit annoying when you're trying to look up some info about the game and you're usually greeted with only German results, be it on Google or YouTube. But it's not really a thing that Blue Byte has control over. It seems like the only content creators that are really involved with the game are German and they tend to make their content in German. At least YouTube has a somewhat decent auto-subtitling.

You are right that to some extend Ubisoft has no control over the things other people place on YouTube. On the other hand you may wonder why the German community is as big as they are in comparison with the rest of the world. Is there a particular reason why Germans like the Anno series more then other countries. In my opinion there is not such a reason. There is no difference between German players, Dutch players, Finish players, Belgium players, English players, etc. The only real difference I see is the way the game is marketed. There are very many small things that you will notice when you pay attention. I already mentioned a few but let me show one other.

If you just go the English index page of the Ubisoft Forum. Do you see there the Anno game? No you don't. You have to click on "more forums" to see it. If you switch to the German language you see Anno right in the middel of your screen. Like I said, it is a self for filling prophecy. You spend a lot of energy to market the product in Germany. Then you get a lot of attention in Germany and a large German community. Then you say that you have to do more German marketing because most of your customers are German. I think the other way around. There is no reason why people in other countries would not like Anno just as much as Germans, so why not conquer those markets because the rest of the world is bigger then Germany.

Of course you should not neglect the German market but if you keep focusing on the German market then I think it will be very hard to get a very good market outside of Germany.

The good news is that nearly everybody in Germany speaks English. The whole Anno team speaks English, so why do everything in German? If you just do occasionally something special for the German market then you do already more then for the French market.

Oh, and there is really no reason why you would start a German video on an English community website since there is an English version of the same video available on YouTube. How strange would it be to start a Chinese video on the German website?

Ubi-O5
01-10-2019, 06:43 PM
Well, it should be the other way around imho. You say you are making an effort to make all your blogs, social media content etc, in English as well as in German. It should be in English and when there is time left you should do it in German as well.
We actually do start out our drafts for the Blogposts themselves in English most of the time, due to many of the Devs not speaking german.

Regarding the trailer: You are right, that should at least link to the English trailer that we have. I'll see if we can get that sorted.

Thanks for letting me know though, i'll see if we can do better there and we're also happy to hear what others have to say.

Imagine being a dutch speaking belgian who get's french, english and german stuffed in his throat on a daily basis just by walking outside ;).
I had a roommate once, who had the issue that he didn't know that he switched to french and well, je ne parlais pas francais. :)

It seems like the only content creators that are really involved with the game are German and they tend to make their content in German.
A good point to let everyone know that i'd love to see your favorite content creators for Anno/Citybuilders/Resource Management games or to let me know if you wish to start your own project in that regard.

SirDavidFirst
01-13-2019, 12:30 PM
Sorry, I don't agree, I'm from the UK living in Bulgaria, and I have been playing Anno for years, being made in Germany doesn't mean anything, it how it portrays as a game. I love building games settles was my first game I got into, now waiting for new anno 1800, to me its albout the game not where it has been made?

Scania-Lady
01-16-2019, 09:52 PM
If I want to use English software, nobody of the developers will be interested in the fact that there would be more German customers (or French, or Finnish ...) if discussions in the forum were conducted in a language other than English. Nice developers open a forum for "other languages", too ;-) True?
Most people in this world are forced to read and write English on all international sites. This does not just apply to games.
I see no problem here, because relevant discussions or videos are also offered in English here. And to be a native speaker in English should not prevent anyone to learn how to use a translator :D .

It's nice to be able to read something in my own native language on this one page. Yes, I use a translator to help you read my answer. ;-)

BB_Volty
01-21-2019, 09:49 AM
Hey in the spirit of the Anno Union, let's be open and honest about that topic.

With the reveal of Anno 1800 and the launch of the Anno Union, we put more efforts than ever before to address international fans and provide appealing content for everyone. As the Anno Union is a project driven by our development team, we decided that making almost all content available in English would be the way to go to reach as many people as possible. We had one German special episode of the Anno Cast and the "Christmas" story so far, all other content was either EN only (which is in fact most of the content) or some pieces with an alternate German translation or subtitles. Regarding the Christmas story, it was a bit unfortunate that the book was only released in Germany. It was a quick and funny idea we had but we haven't had the time to do a proper EN translation (as we are talking about a book, this would have been a job for our British game writer who is really busy atm).
We are an international team consisting of developers from many different countries (hey we had on stream so far a Czech, two French, one Dutch and one Syrian developer if I recall correctly). All development blogs are written in EN before they get translated into the German language. When it comes to influencer, guests like Valle or Belannaer (who is from Finnland) are very close to our communities as they are active fans of the Anno Union and the game. Other than that, it is actually not so easy to find international Content Creator or even fansites who are big fans of the Anno series. When it comes to other YouTuber or Streamer collaborations, I must make clear that all our collaborations we had so far where with real Anno fans who got in contact with us rather than big marketing actions. With the PC Gaming show 2018, we even visited E3 last year, even though without a showfloor presence.

As you mentioned yourself, it is a bit out of our hands if people create Anno content outside of our own efforts. That does not mean that we don’t have support from Ubisoft which will help us to get more visibility especially around the launch window of the game, so that is something we are not worried about. But when it comes to strategy content creators and fans who create content or fan communities because they love the franchise or really interested in Anno 1800, we are limited to the support we can offer (we are easily approachable for content creators and love to provide content for fansites and visibility). As an example, we provided many fan creations and fan sites spotlights in the Union so far, including several call outs for everyone who wants to create a fan project or other content to get in contact with us.

But with that being said, we are always open for ideas and ways how we can approach more strategy fans out there.

RazorBlade185
01-23-2019, 11:28 AM
Let me first say that I am on the same side as everybody else here. We all want Anno 1800 to be a great succes. I am convinced that the Anno series are great games that should be appealing in every country in the world in a similar way. Therefore the big question is why is this game so much more appealing to Germans then to other people in the world. If you look at the forums then the German forum is far more active then the English forum while there are far more people in the world that speak English then German. So we have a fact that the German Anno community is way bigger then the rest of the world while at the same time the game is not particularly target for a German market. What I mean with that is that the game is not really tailored to have elements that are more populair in Germany then in other countries. If you would have e.g. a football game with only German teams in the game then it would be logical that it sells more in Germany then in other countries but that is not the case with Anno.

The only conclusion that I can draw from these facts is that it has something to do with the marketing. That is also why I said it is a self for filling prophecy. More German marketing results in a bigger German community which results in more free publicity, which results in more focus on the German market, which results in more marketing funds for German marketing. If I just search for the terms "Anno 1800 interview" in YouTube then I get in the top 10 search results 9 German hits. I live in the Netherland, my browser and YouTube settings are in English and still I get mostly German search results. I think it is a bit to easy to say that it is beyond your control what influencers do on social media. If you have big presence on Gamescom in Germany then you can expect that you get a lot of German interviews online. Being open to the community is great and I have to say, your response to the community is beyond expectations. I joined the Anno discord server and I get usually an answer to questions within minutes, which is great. That is however passive. If people come to you, you will respond back. I can't judge about the more active approach because I am not an influencer with an active YT channel. Did you get e.g. in contact with NsN? I mean his first episode of the Beginners guide to Anno 2070 has well over a million views. That kind of popularity seems valuable I would say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYFLhADYd3k

Annyway, I am just somebody who likes to play Anno games and I understand that running a game developing studio is probably a lot more complex then I can comprehand. I might be complely wrong and it might be very beneficial to focus on the German market. I think however that the English speaking market is potentioaly much bigger and I think that you should persue that since the game is so much fun.

Nolen2010
01-25-2019, 03:47 PM
I believe what are you observing in the german forums is the result of previous marketing activities. Furthermore a lot of those people are probably fans of the series since the first title Anno 1602 when the community was indeed a lot more concentrated on the regional market.
( A lot of returning people are hyped for the first historical Anno in years and that is somewhat contributing to the effects you are seeing)
I would agree though that some of aspects you mentioned should be adressed , e.g. the trailer issue is just a blunder and does indeed somewhat reveal a certain mentality. (or even disregard if you want to put it like this)

Actually, you voiced it quite nicely and i don't think it was done intentionally and more of automatic process. Nevertheless it might be an impulse to reconsider one's mindset at Ubisoft.
As for the content creation and game information on youtube and others well: Like i mentioned, what you are seeing right now before the release is the community activity of previous marketing decisions & player base. Therefore with Anno 1800 the community will hopefully expend alot further. I would go as far as to say if you want to see english content on Anno 1800 i would strongly encourage you to contribute a little yourself to give Anno 1800 a headstart. (e.g. why not stream on twitch upon release).
Cheers from the german forums,

Nolen