PDA

View Full Version : PF woes...yes another rant...

ACmisterE
10-26-2004, 07:49 PM
I recently discovered the 1C:Maddox series of flight sims and am very impressed with them. Not long after I picked up IL-2 and FB, I found out PF was being released a month later.

So here it is, the day of the release. I went to 8 different retailers today (all major chains) and NOBODY had this game. I looked high and low, asked sales people. Nobody even knew what it was. I realise that this game isn't generating the whirlwind Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 are, but sheesh, can't some store get ONE copy in?!? The only advice I got was from EB, who said "you should probably reserve a copy, because I doubt they'll send us one for stock."

I know Oleg is constantly battling piracy, and I certainly want to support him, but isn't it silly that on Long Island I can't find a copy of it? There are millions of people within mere miles of me. You can't tell me I'm the only one who wanted this game today.

I don't know who to blame, but it really stinks that I can't have this game in hand right now. I bought an X45 today and everything! (yes i know the x52 is coming out soon, but i don't want twist rudder and i don't want to spend $130).

So as far as constructive criticism goes:

1. Market the series better, it has many great qualities worth noting (EVERY store had both CFS2 & CFS3). Generate more buzz, do some advertising.

2. Offer something like Steam where we can download the software (legally) so that we don't have to hunt the globe for it.

3. Pester retailers to carry it, if ONE store near me had a few copies, they would have gone nuts with business today. A few of the places mentioned they did get several calls for it. CONVINCE them that this game IS popular and worth carrying. They can't base their stock on how FS2004: Cessna's Revenge did last year.

</rant>

I'm buying the game online tonight and that'll solve my problem, but I wasted a lot of energy (and gas and time) looking for this game today.

ACmisterE
10-26-2004, 07:49 PM
I recently discovered the 1C:Maddox series of flight sims and am very impressed with them. Not long after I picked up IL-2 and FB, I found out PF was being released a month later.

So here it is, the day of the release. I went to 8 different retailers today (all major chains) and NOBODY had this game. I looked high and low, asked sales people. Nobody even knew what it was. I realise that this game isn't generating the whirlwind Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 are, but sheesh, can't some store get ONE copy in?!? The only advice I got was from EB, who said "you should probably reserve a copy, because I doubt they'll send us one for stock."

I know Oleg is constantly battling piracy, and I certainly want to support him, but isn't it silly that on Long Island I can't find a copy of it? There are millions of people within mere miles of me. You can't tell me I'm the only one who wanted this game today.

I don't know who to blame, but it really stinks that I can't have this game in hand right now. I bought an X45 today and everything! (yes i know the x52 is coming out soon, but i don't want twist rudder and i don't want to spend $130).

So as far as constructive criticism goes:

1. Market the series better, it has many great qualities worth noting (EVERY store had both CFS2 & CFS3). Generate more buzz, do some advertising.

2. Offer something like Steam where we can download the software (legally) so that we don't have to hunt the globe for it.

3. Pester retailers to carry it, if ONE store near me had a few copies, they would have gone nuts with business today. A few of the places mentioned they did get several calls for it. CONVINCE them that this game IS popular and worth carrying. They can't base their stock on how FS2004: Cessna's Revenge did last year.

&lt;/rant&gt;

I'm buying the game online tonight and that'll solve my problem, but I wasted a lot of energy (and gas and time) looking for this game today.

james_ander
10-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Dude, chill...

It will be out in the next couple of days.

steve_v
10-26-2004, 08:06 PM
http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/images/smilies/rant.gif

Different release dates for different countries. Just got mine today in the US via FedEx. Worth the wait. 10 bucks says you won't remember this post 2 days after PF arrives. Hang in there.

Lemky
10-26-2004, 08:16 PM
Could not wait for the new VIDEO CARDS to come in to stock,bought a Trans AM instead.Could not wait for PF to show up here,bought a Corvette instead,Man ATI and UBI soft,you all missed my cash flow.But I do love reading these Forms,

duffys_tavern
10-26-2004, 08:21 PM
Know what ya mean. I pre-ordered PF early this month from Amazon. They gave me good service with AEP. Now, after checking my order status for PF, they're saying ship date between 11/17 and 11/27. Looks like another 2 or 3 weeks, unless I can find it at CompUSA or Best Buys. Looks like I might have the patch before the sim.

LW_Icarus
10-26-2004, 08:30 PM
I think the release date refers to when the warehouses ship the game out, I know here it takes a few more days to get it to the store and usually another day to get it on the shelf.

so the release date is actually always a few days later than when they say.

ACmisterE
10-26-2004, 08:56 PM
yea, i know i'll get it eventually. But you better believe other major releases will be on the shelves the day of their release (almost always on Tuesdays). That's when everything hits, new movies, new music, new games.

It's frustrating to drive around all night for nada. Yea I'll get it and I'll be happy with it, all I'm saying is there's a better way and lots of people are doin it (i.e. coordinate with retailers on releases).

So yea, i'll "chill" but in the meantime it's bad for business. For a company so riddled with and concerned with piracy, you'd think they'd try something to make it close to as easy to buy as it is to download. For some people with less moral fiber than others a quick download is a whole lot less painfull than the hunt I went on.

wickedpenguin
10-26-2004, 09:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think the release date refers to when the warehouses ship the game out, I know here it takes a few more days to get it to the store and usually another day to get it on the shelf.

so the release date is actually always a few days later than when they say. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true. The release date is the day the game, dvd, or album is supposed to be on the shelves in stores, typically a Tuesday. That's why releases are usually on a Tuesday - to give shippers that extra Monday in case the packages didn't make it the week before.

Imagine if the Star Wars Trilogy had released a day late? Or GTA San Andreas? There'd be hell to pay. At every single store I went to today looking for PF (four stores - 2 Best Buys, an EB, and a Planet X) there was that gangsta mofo from San Andreas staring back at me behind his pretty cellophane wrapping, but no sign anywhere of Pacific Fighters.

It's really depressing how little respect flight sims get outside of their core audience. I was happy, though, to find that the EB clerk actually knew (*gasp!*) about the game and was excited to play it. He'd bought the IL-2 FB Gold Pack and liked it, along with his dad.

brasil66
10-26-2004, 09:04 PM
Talk about immediate gratification. Another dork who makes me embarrassed to be an American sometimes.
DONT BUY THE GAME! Go buy MS3 or Secret Weapons over Normandy. We dont need your whiny *** in our community, because all you'll ever do is complain. Good riddance

LuckyBoy1
10-26-2004, 09:21 PM
I was told today that EBGames nationwide will have PF in the stores on 10/27/2004

heywooood
10-26-2004, 09:25 PM
mine will be here in 2 days... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif at last..

and just in time for the patch hehehe...as was the plan, Be sure http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Lateralus_14
10-26-2004, 09:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyBoy1:
I was told today that EBGames nationwide will have PF in the stores on 10/27/2004 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine told me the 28th, when I talked to the guy about 7 hours ago.

Typical EB stupidity.

ACmisterE
10-26-2004, 09:32 PM
wow, yea, i'm a bit frustrated, but certainly not ready to start insulting people and denouncing my nation for it. shame on you brasil.

Lemky
10-26-2004, 09:36 PM
brasil66 Was that regarding me ???

Willi_Wombat
10-26-2004, 09:38 PM
ACmisterE said:

"It's frustrating to drive around all night for nada. Yea I'll get it and I'll be happy with it, all I'm saying is there's a better way and lots of people are doin it ..."

Yeah, try this, grow up a little, relax, know that Maddox, UBI and the retailers are doing the best they can, and use the darn phone instead of the car. No wasted fuel, no traffic, safer, cheaper, quicker and as Brasil66 mentioned, less embarrassing to the rest of the community.

WW

BuzzU
10-26-2004, 10:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lemky:
Could not wait for the new VIDEO CARDS to come in to stock,bought a Trans AM instead.Could not wait for PF to show up here,bought a Corvette instead,Man ATI and UBI soft,you all missed my cash flow.But I do love reading these Forms, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I was waiting for PF I bought a Ferrari. Now I have PF and a Ferrari, and you have.....err...a Trans Am.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

necrobaron
10-26-2004, 11:04 PM
I share your frustration, ACmisterE. But alas, there's nothing much else to do but wait.

Old_Canuck
10-27-2004, 12:19 AM
While I was waiting for PF I bought a new dog team ... could snow any day now.

http://www.everythinghusky.com/features/images/qpull99-1.jpg

actionhank1786
10-27-2004, 01:55 AM
I called EB tonight after i got off work hoping my game would be in, and that i could speed across town to get PF. Unfortunately the guys said it doenst hit the shelves till Thursday http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Ohh well that's this week atleast.
Oh, and you all and your cars, pssshhh
Ask Gary Coleman where the game is, he'll say

"Pacific Fighters, whatcho talkin' bout?"
http://www.gallomania.it/curiosita/images/gary_coleman_old.jpg

but hey, i still bought him all the same

actionhank1786
10-27-2004, 01:56 AM
haha my 1000th message totally kicked ***

ACmisterE
10-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Whew, so last night and today I hit another 10 stores with no luck. My favorite response was at best buy...

Me: "Did you get Pacific Fighters in?"
BB: "....Umm, is that like a flying game?...(walks over to shelf where MSFS2004 is)....no...maybe try tomorrow." So finally I resorted to brute force calling every retailer in a 20mile radius, toy stores included and alas! A few stores sold out, but one happened to have gotten 2 copies in the moment I called. I know it's flimsy, but the kid on the phone said he'd set it aside for me, so in a couple hours i'm on my way. Heh, TWO copies? that's all they got...sad...i wonder how many copies of HL2 or Halo2 they'll be getting in...200 maybe? Oh well, as long as this kid keeps his word, I'm in.

Shrike_UK
10-28-2004, 11:16 AM
i had to ask at the local 'Game' store, they didnt have it on the shelves, and asked me what type of game it was and how many years old is it, lol, it was out the back somewhere, took em a while to find it too.

and i live in a large residential area just outside london, england normally every game i can get on release day no problem.

JonHal
10-28-2004, 11:52 AM
I'm in the US ordered mine from Gamestop.com and got it yesterday! Don't think Wal-Mart will pick it up anytime soon. With Gas prices it's cheaper to order it overnight then to pay the gas for me to drive and search the stores.

ACmisterE
10-28-2004, 03:14 PM
The kid actually held it for me! Have it in my hands now. The store only got TWO copies in...that's just pathetic. So overall, I had to call or stop by about 20 stores before finding it in Commack, NY.