PDA

View Full Version : ever poped up in the middle of a convoy in a storm?...

Reverend 66
05-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Well I did tonight..........

We had just finished our patrol, with no sightings other than neutral merchants and a full torpedo load we set out to England's west coast. The crew was not crazy about the idea but I knew comming home with a full load of ordinance would make my superiors even more unhappy. I set a bearing NNE, if nothing else we would log enough kilometers to keep my *** out of trouble.
just as we slip in between England & Ireland the seas grew & my watchman called that there were storm clouds to the North. I decide to push on as I know there will be no targets back at the French coast. Nightfalls & the visibility is down to nil, I call the order to set our heading towards Liverpool under cover of Fog & darkness.
I decide to go to quarters for a much deserved rest, although unable to sleep fearing the discusion my failure upon our return. Just as my mind finally slips into the fog of sleep I am awoken...."ALLARMM!!!" Warship sighted! 500 meters! I jump out of my bunk stumbling against the rocking of the boat toward the command room. "CRASH DIVE!" I yell without a second thought (still not knowing if I was in a dream).
The boat slips down nose first, pushing my weight too far forward I fall through the hatchway into the comand room. I look up to see my watchmen sliding down the ladder from the sail. Feeling the pain from my knee & the cut on my hand where I caught myself on the hatchway I realize this is not a dream but a nightmare.
My Helmsman pulls me up and holds me by the shoulders, the only word from his mouth.."Sir??!". Not "Sir are you okay", but "Sir what are your orders?". I look up at the rest of the crew. The look on thier faces is that of a child looking at their father for protection, but something else. There is a look deeper in thier eyes, one of disapointment, disapointment that I would bring us to this situation, to our graves.
"THIRTY FIVE METERS!"... Okay, here we go, "what is the ships heading?" I ask. Before my watchmen can speak the sonarman calls out "just passed directly above us sir! heading 175 moving away!". Good, I think, this gives us a good chance to slip away behind the sound of his props. I call out "set depth at 50 meters flank speed". At least this will give us some seperation untill he turn about. And if we are lucky this storm is comming our way.....

TO BE CONTINUED.....

Reverend 66
05-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Well I did tonight..........

We had just finished our patrol, with no sightings other than neutral merchants and a full torpedo load we set out to England's west coast. The crew was not crazy about the idea but I knew comming home with a full load of ordinance would make my superiors even more unhappy. I set a bearing NNE, if nothing else we would log enough kilometers to keep my *** out of trouble.
just as we slip in between England & Ireland the seas grew & my watchman called that there were storm clouds to the North. I decide to push on as I know there will be no targets back at the French coast. Nightfalls & the visibility is down to nil, I call the order to set our heading towards Liverpool under cover of Fog & darkness.
I decide to go to quarters for a much deserved rest, although unable to sleep fearing the discusion my failure upon our return. Just as my mind finally slips into the fog of sleep I am awoken...."ALLARMM!!!" Warship sighted! 500 meters! I jump out of my bunk stumbling against the rocking of the boat toward the command room. "CRASH DIVE!" I yell without a second thought (still not knowing if I was in a dream).
The boat slips down nose first, pushing my weight too far forward I fall through the hatchway into the comand room. I look up to see my watchmen sliding down the ladder from the sail. Feeling the pain from my knee & the cut on my hand where I caught myself on the hatchway I realize this is not a dream but a nightmare.
My Helmsman pulls me up and holds me by the shoulders, the only word from his mouth.."Sir??!". Not "Sir are you okay", but "Sir what are your orders?". I look up at the rest of the crew. The look on thier faces is that of a child looking at their father for protection, but something else. There is a look deeper in thier eyes, one of disapointment, disapointment that I would bring us to this situation, to our graves.
"THIRTY FIVE METERS!"... Okay, here we go, "what is the ships heading?" I ask. Before my watchmen can speak the sonarman calls out "just passed directly above us sir! heading 175 moving away!". Good, I think, this gives us a good chance to slip away behind the sound of his props. I call out "set depth at 50 meters flank speed". At least this will give us some seperation untill he turn about. And if we are lucky this storm is comming our way.....

TO BE CONTINUED.....