PDA

View Full Version : How much does maxing in game sound settings effect FPS/Stutters?

Charlie901
11-11-2004, 10:51 PM
Does having in game sound set to "32" channels and sample rate of "44100" with speaker type at "surround" and 3d engine mode on "balanced" really make a difference FPS and Stutter wise for PF?????????????

I'm running an Audigy 2 sound card and was wondering what was the best trade off for good sound quality and good fps, with the least amount of stutters?

What have you all discovered?

Charlie901
11-11-2004, 10:51 PM
Does having in game sound set to "32" channels and sample rate of "44100" with speaker type at "surround" and 3d engine mode on "balanced" really make a difference FPS and Stutter wise for PF?????????????

I'm running an Audigy 2 sound card and was wondering what was the best trade off for good sound quality and good fps, with the least amount of stutters?

What have you all discovered?

x__CRASH__x
11-11-2004, 11:01 PM
Sound is a resource. You have an Audigy 2, but what kind of Motherboard/CPU do you have to manage the resource? If you have a great sound card but **** MB/CPU, then yes, that will cause you problems. Same holds true for Vid card, memory, etc etc.

Charlie901
11-11-2004, 11:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by x__CRASH__x:
Sound is a resource. You have an Audigy 2, but what kind of Motherboard/CPU do you have to manage the resource? If you have a great sound card but **** MB/CPU, then yes, that will cause you problems. Same holds true for Vid card, memory, etc etc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand and was going to post my system specs but I guess I was going for a more general response. Suppose you have a maxed out system by today's standards, does it still make a difference lowering sound setting?

Nige_Reconman
11-12-2004, 12:36 AM
Set the card to 32 channels and 44khz for best performance. You could go with 22khz if you wanted.

Dedicated soundcards use little cpu time regardless of amount of sound required, though it can be noticeable if you have amoderatley specced computer. If the card can handle the settings then set it to the max settings you can get it at.

It won't adversely affect FPS rate too much at all and may even improve them at times.