PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed - a bit boring?

AdarB
03-07-2008, 04:28 PM
I haven't played much, only in 2 cities.. but I dunno, perhaps I'm missing something...
Basically you get to do the exact same things in all of the cities?
1. See the same damn agency which even looks exactly the same in every city.
2. Get up to all of the high views to have more of the map plus jump to the same pile of hay after doing that.
2. Rescue the same miserable people exactly the same way 200 times.
3. hide in the same 4 hiding spots when on the run (And you don't even have to be on the run cause you kick everyone's ***)
4. Interrogate a guy by kicking his *** and killing him afterwards
5. Pikcpocket a letter
6. Listen to a conversation.

And I don't even have to do most of those repeating missions.. they're optional..
Without doing them I finish a city in 10 minutes !? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Plus there's 1 mission which is to assassinate someone, get flags on certain time or something like that which is the only nice thing cause you feel there's a slight variety.. and the final assassination in every city is nice too but too quick and extremely easy to do..

Also, the graphics are pretty cool but they feel repetitive.. and most of the characters don't even have lip movement..
It's also a shame that I can't talk to any of the NPC's unless they're task related..
At first I thought that interrogations are related to chatting with all sorts of people..

I got bored pretty fast and got back to playing ES: Oblivion..
Is there a point to get back to AC? Are there more exciting things up ahead or is it just the same over and over..?

AdarB
03-07-2008, 04:28 PM
I haven't played much, only in 2 cities.. but I dunno, perhaps I'm missing something...
2. Get up to all of the high views to have more of the map plus jump to the same pile of hay after doing that.
3. hide in the same 4 hiding spots when on the run (And you don't even have to be on the run cause you kick everyone's ***)
5. Pikcpocket a letter

And I don't even have to do most of those repeating missions.. they're optional..
Without doing them I finish a city in 10 minutes !? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Plus there's 1 mission which is to assassinate someone, get flags on certain time or something like that which is the only nice thing cause you feel there's a slight variety.. and the final assassination in every city is nice too but too quick and extremely easy to do..

Also, the graphics are pretty cool but they feel repetitive.. and most of the characters don't even have lip movement..
It's also a shame that I can't talk to any of the NPC's unless they're task related..
At first I thought that interrogations are related to chatting with all sorts of people..

Is there a point to get back to AC? Are there more exciting things up ahead or is it just the same over and over..?

cooldude6681
03-07-2008, 05:04 PM
There are a few memorable moments interspersed throughout the gameplay (climbing the church in Acre was so much fun), but the end of the game is where it really picks up. Sadly, it's the end of the game at that point.

Longjocks
03-07-2008, 05:23 PM
It's a bit repetitive, yes indeed. Still, if you play it casually it's heaps of fun. I found it better to spread your time in this game out a bit and it generally remains fun. Hopefully a sequel will flesh out the world some more and make it more interesting.

iPlunder
03-07-2008, 06:03 PM
You're boring.

DeadCorpseAC
03-07-2008, 07:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iPlunder:
You're boring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agree.

Crash_Plague
03-07-2008, 11:35 PM
damn you plunder!

That's MY thing! (twisting the words of the title http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif)

adarwinter
03-08-2008, 01:03 AM
it could have been such a better game by giving all the "expected" kinda missions making al-tair slightly more... vigilante flavour, like instead of just saving citizens u could help merchants offend a group of tough thieves, be a body guard to a wealthy lord who is attacked by other assassins (who are attacked by tough assassins. not wimpy warriors like the current guards), rescue a kidnapped person who is help captive by murderers and so forth.
if ubi had only thought (or had the time to implement) of more missions, put more emphasis on combat, made your enemies more than just the city guards and made combat something hard than thise game could have been amazing.
as nearly even review said - its a near miss. does the difficult things well but fails to deliver the obvious ones.

AdarB
03-08-2008, 04:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">does the difficult things well but fails to deliver the obvious ones. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I totally agree with you.. it's indeed a miss, I was really expecting this game and it's a bit of a disappointment..
Thanks for the explanation and help.

iPlunder & DeadCorpseAC,
I never did get people that have nothing useful to say but the obvious stupid thing they can think of at the time.. don't be so childish.

Malidictus
03-09-2008, 08:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...and made combat something hard... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree, I like my combat easy. It's easier to make it look good http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Plus, multi-button combos do not a harder combat make. They just make it more irritating and less responsive. What Assassin's Creed, and the Prince of Persia games before it, did was to reduce combat not to a dozen variations of the same thing - aka, a lot of combos and special attacks - but rather to synthesise it to actions that are mechanically meaningful.

What can Altair do? He can attack, he can block, he can parry, he can advance, he can retreat and he can shove. That's all you really need to have control over. Let the guy figure out his own combos. Let him decide how he parries. Let the engine define which side he stabs from. You pilot his actions on a higher level, and Altair figures out how to follow them on his own. Pretty much in the same way as you don't tell him which brick to grab with his right hand, so you don't tell him which ling to stab with his dagger.

As a matter of fact, I view this as an improvement over a mistake that was introduced into the Prince of Persia series when they were perpetuated. The original fighting system was about perfect - attack, block, vault, parry, Dagger of Time. It's not complicated to write out, but when each enemy has strengths and weaknesses, it becomes a lot more varied than the Warrior Within festival of mashing buttons into random combos.

Far as I'm concerned, this game could be nothing BUT battle and I'd be well satisfied. Then it also has climbing and free running, accompanies by simple, intuitive "minigames" and pathfinding tasks.

Yes, in terms of a great game, perhaps it isn't. But the fact remains that it gives the player almost complete control over the world it takes place in - the mechanics are easy to understand, easy to follow and easy to predict. That's good if you like them, bad if you don't. But let's not kid ourselves here - Assassin's Creed is not a complicated game. I don't think it was ever intended to be. Look at Ubi's record here - three Prince of Persia games preceding their moral descendent, all three of them simple to an exclusion, and all three of them built around looking good enough to stun you out of your chair and fun enough to keep you replaying them more times than you can afford. I've beaten the original Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time game more times than I can count, and I'm a step away from completing it again in the near future. I expect to complete Assassin's Creed as many times in the days to come, especially in the future when the proposed trilogy is finally complete.

Is the game boring? No, not at all. It IS, however, incredibly repetitive, so if you don't like the gameplay right off the bat, you're doomed. Me, I happen to like simple, fun and repetitive http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

blarson11
03-09-2008, 08:26 PM
you can make anything sound boring or awesome, depending on the words you use. the same goes for playing it. it can be as fun or boring as you make it. changing up the fights and what not is up to you. the devs gave you multiple ways to do the task, so use them.

Blaster1138
03-26-2008, 11:28 PM
I agree with adarwinter & AdarB they are both right on all accounts. AC is very very very BORING.

my expectations must have been high because it fails to deliver what i thought was a godsend when i watched the trailer. Don't get me wrong, it does do the trailer some justice. let me just say that the view overlooking the cities was absolutely stunning. However the gameplay is a bit stale, and not very immersive in places. Where are the breath taking chase sequences, like i saw in the trailer? what would have been is, well, shallow gameplay. you can feel overwhelmed with the controls sometimes, like the frustration brought on by altier getting stuck on some object, like say a ladder, a box, or wall, while you have guards jumping at you. it can get very frantic sometimes. it's not very natural and fluid in someplaces, as in others, creating ridiculous obstacles. to be honest, i wouldn't have missed the combat, in favor of the player trying to outwit the enemies. you can evade enemies in very few ways, non of which are very creative. Hide in some of the most obvious places, hmmm... he definately wouldn't be in the hay. also, why do these guards have such athletic prowess that they can do almost as much as you. given they can't match your sprint speed, but they're only stooped by some of the most unclimable of objects, and it's near impossible to shake them. some examples of how the game could have been better is adding/replacing different features, why can't we make our moves at night, change clothes (hmm.. why would an assassin blatantly carry around weapons, especially when not one civilian has one, not even the informants, you're the only one that rides horses also, it's all very stand offish), or most obviously why not have counter-assassins after you, so you have to be on alert all the time. he can't use missle weapons, like the crossbow, he can't pick locks, he can't even hide bodies. I must say that some of the most memorable moments were when i unexpectedly ran into a patrol of guards. I criticize the combat, again, it's very repetetive, for the most part, and turn's into a major let down, mostly because you're often forced into combat situations with no means of escape. i wonder how many people would actually miss the combat, sure, it has a certain novelty the first couple of times, but quickly becomes irritating. The missions are very predictable as well, not much thought is put into planning your assassinations, as it's all predetermined, probally the most unintersting portion of the game is not being able to think for yourself, the investigations that reveal information on the targets get dull quick. I just wish it gave you more depth and realism, so that you might actually want to go back and play it again. Btw i would have gladly sacraficed the crazy almius dream machine subplot and the treasure of eden thing for more focus on altier being a bad ***. those sci-fi twists were only taking away from the games potential imo. there's one last thing that absolutely should have been left out, those freaking crazy and drunk guys that push you, and the beggars. i found it more refreshing assassinating them than the actual targets, whenever they couldn't be avoided that is.

hutzdani
03-28-2008, 03:22 PM
In reply to the fisrt guy, i read that all the time, and i not played it yet but it seems to be a common thing that its linear and boring in places, however im gunna get the PC one if it ever comes out this side of the next deckade.

this was people will mod it and we can have free roam GTA styled AC with all the extra stuff the console fan boys dont have HarHarHar so i wait with bated breath, that the PC one gets tweeded by 3rd partys and we get what AC 2 should aspire to be like before the fan boys do, and also give alittle bank of ideas for Ubi to use in the second game,as theya llreayd need the console guys to tell them where they screwed it up, and they could sort the ending out aswell aparantly as it very linear for a game thats based on freedom.

Mnightscare
03-28-2008, 04:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hutzdani:
this was people will mod it and we can have free roam GTA styled AC with all the extra stuff the console fan boys dont have HarHarHar so i wait with bated breath, that the PC one gets tweeded by 3rd partys and we get what AC 2 should aspire to be like before the fan boys do, and also give alittle bank of ideas for Ubi to use in the second game,as theya llreayd need the console guys to tell them where they screwed it up, and they could sort the ending out aswell aparantly as it very linear for a game thats based on freedom. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only thing is, all the earlier Ubisoft games are not as Modding friendly as GTA, so I doubt Assadin's creed is.. so don't get your hopes up too high about any eventual modding community this game might spawn...

it would be awesome if it turns out modding friendly though.. there are a thousand things you can do with this game.

caswallawn_2k7
03-28-2008, 04:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mnightscare:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hutzdani:
this was people will mod it and we can have free roam GTA styled AC with all the extra stuff the console fan boys dont have HarHarHar so i wait with bated breath, that the PC one gets tweeded by 3rd partys and we get what AC 2 should aspire to be like before the fan boys do, and also give alittle bank of ideas for Ubi to use in the second game,as theya llreayd need the console guys to tell them where they screwed it up, and they could sort the ending out aswell aparantly as it very linear for a game thats based on freedom. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only thing is, all the earlier Ubisoft games are not as Modding friendly as GTA, so I doubt Assadin's creed is.. so don't get your hopes up too high about any eventual modding community this game might spawn...

it would be awesome if it turns out modding friendly though.. there are a thousand things you can do with this game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
GTA isnt modder friendly any mods for it involve extracting files then reconstructing the original file. you can do this with any game if some1 works out how to decode the file then rebuild it.

iloveAC_creed
03-28-2008, 06:21 PM
i can mod halo its fun lmao

DragonRanger67
03-29-2008, 06:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AdarB:
5. Pikcpocket a letter

Is there a point to get back to AC? Are there more exciting things up ahead or is it just the same over and over..? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spread out your game play and don't spend so much time on it and maybe it won't be boring to you.

DragonRanger

Mnightscare
03-29-2008, 07:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
GTA isnt modder friendly any mods for it involve extracting files then reconstructing the original file. you can do this with any game if some1 works out how to decode the file then rebuild it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you're right, but after the GTA3 files were decoded, modding VC and SA was like a walk in the park, because they use they same system architecture.

if AC2 & 3 will run on the same engine and same system architecture as AC, then there's a high chance it'll spawn a solid modding community.

caswallawn_2k7
03-29-2008, 09:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mnightscare:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
GTA isnt modder friendly any mods for it involve extracting files then reconstructing the original file. you can do this with any game if some1 works out how to decode the file then rebuild it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you're right, but after the GTA3 files were decoded, modding VC and SA was like a walk in the park, because they use they same system architecture.

if AC2 & 3 will run on the same engine and same system architecture as AC, then there's a high chance it'll spawn a solid modding community. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yeh it's possible as I have modded nearly every game I own but it depends how hard the files are to get at. but since I heard people got inside the corrupt file in the leaked copy it probly wont be that hard you will just have to try to keep the file working.

AssassinsBomb
03-29-2008, 11:22 AM
This whole forum is messing with my brain. Modding? Dunno.
So confused.
Not asking for help on what modding is, btw.
Just expressing my headache. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

AdarB
03-29-2008, 04:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DragonRanger67:
Spread out your game play and don't spend so much time on it and maybe it won't be boring to you.

DragonRanger </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm the gamer type that tries to do every possible thing in a game so I won't feel like I missed anything and also make the game longer..
Usually this line of thought brings me to having much more fun for much longer..
In this game I have to skip most of the things in order to have fun which is weird.. also, makes the game super short.

adarwinter
03-29-2008, 04:32 PM
i like sqweezing the juice out of my games too. doing almost everything the game has to offer.
i remember playing oblivion for a month without ever reaching the 4th story mission.

AC is not a role playing game and it is missing on a lot of apportunities to be much better and much deeper.
the entire game relies on the fun it grants you when u free-run and fight guards. everything else is really sub-par.
if u enjoy these 2 things than AC is fun. if u expect anything more than that than it ain't a big catch.
basically i really enjoy the combat and the only grip i have is that the combat is too easy.
because AC is not a really great game as it could have been u, as the player, kinda need to make your own fun with what it gives you.
i live to pick up fights :P

"af echad lo mushlam. gam lo assassin's creed".

Barakeh
03-29-2008, 07:19 PM
I've heard that the PC version has bonus missions, can anyone confirm this and/or provide details?

caswallawn_2k7
03-29-2008, 07:20 PM
ubi has confirmed there will be 4 new types of investigation mission for the pc.

AdarB
03-30-2008, 12:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barakeh:
I've heard that the PC version has bonus missions, can anyone confirm this and/or provide details? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Those bonus missions don't really add much.. you can barely feel the difference (Had the chance of playing a hacked version at a friends house), personally I own the XBox version.
The game has such huge towns with so much graphical content, the fact that you can not do anything in most of the parts makes it worthless to even explore..
If it was like GTA where you have tons of different missions all over the place it would have been a much nicer game..

adarwinter - Lo karov afilu le Oblivion http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif