PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions from a new player

Steve51B
04-01-2008, 07:13 PM
First let me say that this sim is the best. I've spent a lot of time on other WWII based combat flight sims and this one is simply the best.
Now the questions.
1. If I fly through a cloud, will my pursuer and/or wingman 'lose sight of me' and stop following me ?
2. Will AI flown Bf-110G aircraft shoot their rockets as an air-to-air weapon ? (Specifically will they shoot them at US heavy bombers) ?

One comment: The dark sky and stars that are visible in the middle of the day at altitudes above 20,000 feet are kind of cute - however they have nothing in common with reality. I spend a lot of time each week at altitudes between 20,000 and 41,000 feet and the sky is not very dark, nor are there any stars visible from about 15 minutes after sunrise.

Steve51B
04-01-2008, 07:13 PM
First let me say that this sim is the best. I've spent a lot of time on other WWII based combat flight sims and this one is simply the best.
Now the questions.
1. If I fly through a cloud, will my pursuer and/or wingman 'lose sight of me' and stop following me ?
2. Will AI flown Bf-110G aircraft shoot their rockets as an air-to-air weapon ? (Specifically will they shoot them at US heavy bombers) ?

One comment: The dark sky and stars that are visible in the middle of the day at altitudes above 20,000 feet are kind of cute - however they have nothing in common with reality. I spend a lot of time each week at altitudes between 20,000 and 41,000 feet and the sky is not very dark, nor are there any stars visible from about 15 minutes after sunrise.

berg417448
04-01-2008, 07:46 PM
The AI can see through clouds and they can see in the dark.

VW-IceFire
04-01-2008, 08:09 PM
1) If online then yes your fellow humans will loose sight of you and you could sneak away in some of the denser cloud layers. If offline then no...the AI doesn't quite get the whole cloud thing.

2) Yes the Bf110G-2 will fire its rockets into a formation of bombers. The Me-262 will as well. If you get the IL-2 1946 package (which you should as it contains everything) then the X-4 wire guided rocket equipped fighters like the Ta-152C and Ta-183 will also fire their rockets at bombers.

About your comment...this is well known by the community about the sky being a bit too dark above 20,000 feet.

Lurch1962
04-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Unfortunately, clouds aren't an obstacle to visibility for AI. But I suppose it's offset by the same X-ray eyes friendly AI has!

If the rockets are air-to-air weapons, I can't see why AI wouldn't use them against bombers. Funny thing is, I've never flown such a mission to see what they would do, and this after 3+ years! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I agree that the overly dark sky at high alts is unrealistic. What annoys me the most is the similarity in tone (not hue) to most enemies' bellies, which leads to quite the loss of contrast when trying to spot them flying higher than me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Steve51B
04-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'll have to get some rocket firing going soon.
Perhaps I should post the stars in the daytime/dark sky issue on the OM Ready Room forum ?

berg417448
04-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Post there if you feel like it but Oleg doesn't post there anymore and any changes to this game are unlikely since all effort has moved on to developing the SOW:BOB game.

M_Gunz
04-01-2008, 09:18 PM
How dark is the sky at 8+km at Moscow latitude?

Steve51B
04-01-2008, 09:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How dark is the sky at 8+km at Moscow latitude? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've flown as far north as 53 degrees (almost as north as Moscow) and as high as 45,000 feet (13+km). I've never noticed a significant difference in sky color and never seen a star during daylight hours.

Bearcat99
04-01-2008, 11:01 PM
I dunno guys.. I have lost AI in the clouds before... Itcan be done.. it just isnt often.. and it cant be a wispy cloud... it has to be a thick one... and you have to make a drastic attitude change..

AnaK774
04-03-2008, 02:20 AM
Does not need a cloud, bearcat, just get outside of AI's target envelope by providing it something else to chew. (lack of fuel, ammo, under attack, other ai calling 4 help, for example)