PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates knighted!

Jasko76
03-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Oh yes, he was knighted by queen Elizabeth today! I guess she never played one of his company's flight simulators!

What's next, Nobel prize?

He's just to geeky to be a knight! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Jasko76
03-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Oh yes, he was knighted by queen Elizabeth today! I guess she never played one of his company's flight simulators!

What's next, Nobel prize?

He's just to geeky to be a knight! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

MEGILE
03-02-2005, 02:02 PM
He is not British though, so he doesn't get to be called sir.

Chuck_Older
03-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Is there a name, a particular term, for a guy who breaks the legs of someone with a Peerage? Lordhobbler? Villain? I hope it's something cool.

I'm just wondering what the papers are gonna call me after the arrest

Capt._Tenneal
03-02-2005, 02:05 PM
So, I guess you're not kidding right ? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Chuck_Older
03-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Who me?

No, I am not serious. That would be called 'pre-meditation'. I'm not gonna break his legs

You'll have to read the papers to find out what I really broke

VF51_Flatspin
03-02-2005, 02:15 PM
OMG. Now I can die...I've seen everything.

How many other foreigners have been knighted by English Royalty? Anybody know?

And what are the criterion? I thought it was roughly for exceptional service to England.

Anybody care to take a shot at putting his head on Sean Connery's body from "First Knight"?? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Platypus_1.JaVA
03-02-2005, 02:18 PM
He is knighted whatfor?

Capt._Tenneal
03-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Sorry about that, I didn't mean you and breaking something Chuck. I meant the original post and BG being knighted.

Jasko76
03-02-2005, 02:24 PM
No, I'm not kidding!

I don't have any details, I just read it on tele-text. Let's see what we can dig out on Google about it!

DeerHunterUK
03-02-2005, 02:25 PM
The rumours about the Queen knighting Bill Gates in lieu of paying Micro$haft the extortionate customer service fees they demand are unfounded.
She only wanted to play solitaire.

TooCooL34
03-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Oh Bill, remake FFB 3 to commemorate it!!

EURO_Snoopy
03-02-2005, 02:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VF51_Flatspin:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
From the BBC News website
Honorary Knights:
Live Aid organiser Bob Geldof
Film director Steven Spielberg
Afghan President Hamid Karzai
Opera star Placido Domingo
The Reverend Billy Graham
DNA pioneer James Watson
Comedian Spike Milligan
Former New York mayor Rudi Giuliani

[Gypsy]
03-02-2005, 02:32 PM
How sad...

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=544271

Zyzbot
03-02-2005, 02:34 PM
What does the Queen know?

Check this out:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/02/people.ericclapton.ap/index.html

Capt._Tenneal
03-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Uhgh, I can't look at the picture of the Queen and BG any longer. Someone please photoshop Oleg's head into Bill Gates' body in that picture ! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

steve_v
03-02-2005, 02:41 PM
deserves a second posting

http://home.earthlink.net/~viner45/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/gates1.jpg

Jasko76
03-02-2005, 02:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steve_v:
deserves a second posting

http://home.earthlink.net/~viner45/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/gates1.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch, Steve! My eyes water http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

He looks like a dork that served in my platoon...Weber was his name, we called him the carburetor (f√¬∂rgasare in Swedish) - he released a lot of gases, plus there's the Weber carburetor.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
03-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Well the queen don't choose who gets knighted anymore the government (read:T.Blair) does

And if you needed anymore amunition for the argument why we should get rid of the fecking monarchy then this is it.

Jasko76
03-02-2005, 03:20 PM
I don't think you should get rid of monarchy, insted take a look at Swedish model. We have a royal family as well, but since 1970-something the king has no power. He is just a representative for Sweden, but he can't decide anything, he can't change laws and so on. Pretty good model me thinks!

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
03-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Agreed a similar thing exists in Norway I believe? And I think its a good way to go. Perhaps what I should of said was get rid of the civil list which is essentialy what entitles them to our money as frankly they havent deliverd value for money since world war 2

VF51_Flatspin
03-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Selection from news story in Zyzbot's hyperlink:

The accolade allows the recipient to use "KBE" after his name, but not "Sir" in front of it.

One of the world's richest men, Gates, 49, was being honored in a private ceremony at Buckingham Palace for his charitable activities around the world and his contribution to high-tech enterprise in Britain.

Past recipients of the honorary knighthood range from Irish singer Bob Geldof to former U.S. President Ronald Reagan.

"This honor is particularly poignant given the deep connections Microsoft enjoys with the United Kingdom," said Gates, whose company employs about 2,000 people in Britain.

Answers one of my questions: What the heck for?

...sorta.

WOLFMondo
03-02-2005, 04:48 PM
He probably got the Knighthood because he gives hundreds of millions to charities and recently gave a 3rd of a billion to India to fight HIV and AIDs. India, a former colony of the British empire is now in the commonwealth.

Logic previals again.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VF51_Flatspin:

And what are the criterion? I thought it was roughly for exceptional service to England. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats Britain, England is part of Britain, like Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, the Queen is the Queen of Great Britain and the commonwealth.

Zeus-cat
03-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Bill and Melinda Gates give away BILLIONS of dollars. Whatever you think of him, he is a brilliant businessman and a great humanitarian. That is why he was knighted. Just to balance things out a little - CFS3 is a total piece of ****.

See this from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation website:

"The foundation was created in January 2000, through the merger of the Gates Learning Foundation, which worked to expand access to technology through public libraries, and the William H. Gates Foundation, which focused on improving global health. Led by Bill Gates‚‚ā¨ô father, William H. Gates Sr., and Patty Stonesifer, the Seattle-based foundation has an endowment of approximately $28.8 billion."

Zeus-cat

TAGERT.
03-02-2005, 05:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Megile:
He is not British though, so he doesn't get to be called sir. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>How about Lord Bug?

Red_Russian13
03-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I don't think he was knighted just for his contributions to the computer industry as it may. But instead, like others have posted, for his humanitarian contributions. Although I agree with Zeus cat, whatever anyone thinks about him, he is a pretty good business man. And this is in turn good because his generosity is a result of his wealth.

Personally, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, I like the majority of MS products (baring the flight sims). Of course, I have stopped using IE completely! But the Office products are solid.

huggy87
03-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Let me get this straight. You are complaining that the man who designed the software that runs just about every PC on the planet is being knighted. Aren't many actors and musicians knighted? What have they contributed to the world?

If he is so bad, go ahead and delete every Microsoft product on your PC right now.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
03-02-2005, 06:27 PM
He didnt design it

Sapperfitz
03-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Somebody please tell me where I can get the Mac version of IL-2. Okay, Linux then. C'mon, I know you guys aren't running windows.

MEGILE
03-02-2005, 06:31 PM
While I do have some "issues" with Windows... fact is your average home user doesn't need an OS like Linux... not with all the free garbage that Windows throws in for all those AOL users out there.

Cajun76
03-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Did they use a sword? Maybe it was a failed beheading, and it got spun into good press by BG's press corps! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

MEGILE
03-02-2005, 06:36 PM
The Queen did it for a free Beta of Longhorn. She recently got an AMD 64 and she feels Windoze 2000 just isn't letting her make full use of the processor.

joe3rd
03-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Just a thought,.. One guy in here said "Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged!!!" That's a time honored
moral which we can all use to reveiw.
Yet I find myself asking,..? There have been lots of Humanitarians some of which have never been famous nor rich and have yet lain down their very lives working for humanitarian causes.
Gee,..? does the crown reconginize them with
such diginty and awe?
And as for ousting the Royality,...well Britian your empire would shatter without it as
that is whom you are and your proud heritage.
Thoughts From a lower middle class average American.

Longjocks
03-02-2005, 07:11 PM
You're all missing the true reason. The Commonwealth is trying to re-assimilate the US, starting with one of its richest and most powerful men. Watch out Trump, it's a trap!

diomedes33
03-02-2005, 08:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by huggy87:
Let me get this straight. You are complaining that the man who designed the software that runs just about every PC on the planet is being knighted. Aren't many actors and musicians knighted? What have they contributed to the world?

If he is so bad, go ahead and delete every Microsoft product on your PC right now. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Every program that Microsoft "writes" is stolen from a company that they bought out. Starting from the very first MS/DOS. My history is a little hazy but I believe it was Steve Wozniak that sold it to him. He then turned around and made billions with the help of IBM by standardizing the computer software industry using Microsoft's operating systems. He was brilliant at marketing but that's all.

The only reason I run windows at all is to play games, mostly IL-2. Everything else I use Linux. Not because it has any more power or is more configurable (which is nice btw), but because its stable.

I don't know if a knighthood is what he should have been awarded, but he does deserve to be recognized for all the charity work he funds.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
03-02-2005, 09:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joe3rd:

And as for ousting the Royality,...well Britian your empire would shatter without it as
Thoughts From a lower middle class average American. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Empire ?!?!? What fooking Empire?!? Last time I checked we were forced to give it all back after world war 2.

My Heritage is Scotish and has fug all to do with a bunch of imported Hanoverian Nobility. Our current monarchy fills me with anything but pride!

If they are such a good bloody thing then I suggest you pay for tinned corgi food with your taxes and let em live in the white house! I myself prefer not to be considerd anyones bloody SUBJECT!

But that is just me and I am sure you will find plenty of Folk over hear that think its just wonderful that we support with our tax money a bunch of inbreads that in today's world contribute feck all other than a source of tabloid titilation and tourist fantasy.

The only time they got respect was when they used that sword the way it was bloody well intended and lopped some other noble bastards head off!!

In fact Bill Gates probably has contributed more to modern scociety and is more deserving of more respect than any of that particular shower of ****e and believe me that is not something I feel comfortable admitting.

VF51_Flatspin
03-02-2005, 10:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
He probably got the Knighthood because he gives hundreds of millions to charities and recently gave a 3rd of a billion to India to fight HIV and AIDs. India, a former colony of the British empire is now in the commonwealth.

Logic previals again.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

And what are the criterion? I thought it was roughly for exceptional service to England. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats Britain, England is part of Britain, like Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, the Queen is the Queen of Great Britain and the commonwealth. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is the Queen English or ScotchWelshIrish?

Zeus-cat
03-02-2005, 10:25 PM
__________________________________________________ ___
Every program that Microsoft "writes" is stolen from a company that they bought out. Starting from the very first MS/DOS. My history is a little hazy but I believe it was Steve Wozniak that sold it to him. He then turned around and made billions with the help of IBM by standardizing the computer software industry using Microsoft's operating systems. He was brilliant at marketing but that's all.
__________________________________________________ ___

If he bought it, he didn't steal it. It's called capitalism and it seems to work fairly well. The other guy didn't have to sell it to him if he didn't want to.

As far as saying he is only good at marketing, but that's all. I got news for ya, marketing is everything. There are countless examples in history where inferior products beat the snot out of far superior ones and it was all because of marketing.

Zeus-cat

Fliegeroffizier
03-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Just for the record, Bill Gates has given more BILLIONS(that's Billions, Not mere Millions) to various charitable causes than anyone else in the history of mankind!

Think about it!

What have You done lately for anyone other than yourself?? And when did you last change the world, technologically speaking?

...and, while we are at it, what have guys like Jobs(Apple/Mac) given to charity???

Werre_Fsck
03-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Knighted for causing more loss of productivity than anyone in history.
Knighted for causing more headache for computer users than anyone in history.
Knighted for hijacking near monopoly with sub-mediocre product.
Knighted for pushing said product to all uses and purposes, when it's master of none.

madsarmy
03-03-2005, 02:16 AM
Is the Queen English or ScotchWelshIrish? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think she's Germanhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chanel505
03-03-2005, 03:58 AM
It was very helpfully to spend BILLIONS $ to fight HIV in India, http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif
but why give Bill Gates his money only to India and not Africa?
Is not Africa the continent with the most HIV-infected humans? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif
However it was helpfully. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif
Bill Gates invested not only a billion $ in India.

WOLFMondo
03-03-2005, 04:27 AM
Dunno, ask him but its better than nothing at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tHeBaLrOgRoCkS:
But that is just me and I am sure you will find plenty of Folk over hear that think its just wonderful that we support with our tax money a bunch of inbreads that in today's world contribute feck all other than a source of tabloid titilation and tourist fantasy.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They make more money than they spend. Lots of tourists from the US and Japan etc.

Just to add, I used to work for the Princes Trust, they do a hell of a lot for kids, young adults and the under privaliged.

Is the Queen English or ScotchWelshIrish? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does it matter? Were British, its the British Isles, the United Kingdom of Great Britain...the flag even gives the game awayhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. Scotland and Wales have devolved governments but its like the US, each state has its own little laws and governer but the US as a whole is overseen by 1 main government and federal law.

The Queen as it happens is part German, part Scottish and part English. Charles is more Cypriate (sp?) and German than British.

FRAGAL
03-03-2005, 04:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tHeBaLrOgRoCkS:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joe3rd:

Empire ?!?!? What fooking Empire?!? Last time I checked we were forced to give it all back after world war 2.

My Heritage is Scotish and has fug all to do with a bunch of imported Hanoverian Nobility. Our current monarchy fills me with anything but pride!

If they are such a good bloody thing then I suggest you pay for tinned corgi food with your taxes and let em live in the white house! I myself prefer not to be considerd anyones bloody SUBJECT!

The only time they got respect was when they used that sword the way it was bloody well intended and lopped some other noble bastards head off!!

In fact Bill Gates probably has contributed more to modern scociety and is more deserving of more respect than any of that particular shower of ****e and believe me that is not something I feel comfortable admitting. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFLMAO well said mate, i say get rid! whats the point of em like balrog said there just titilation for the press and a waste of tax payers money, kinda like the beckhams which weirdly enough have more use than the monarchy at the minute,

and as for the empire we lost that ages ago when we gave up hongkong or was it singapore can't remember now in the 90's at some point cant remember when.

WTE_Ibis
03-03-2005, 04:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Megile:
He is not British though, so he doesn't get to be called sir. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
--------------
Is that spelled with an "S" or a "C"

WTE_Ibis
03-03-2005, 05:04 AM
I've said it before and still believe that the
monarchy is good for tourism,good for news,keeps the publics' mind off Iraq,they have better castles than Disneyland,they keep us all amused,
Prince Charlie is in OZ for his bucks show,kissing camels out in th outback (practicing for his honeymoon) on and on it goes,never ending.
D@mn good value if you ask me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

WTE_Ibis
03-03-2005, 05:05 AM
Sorry double post

Bearcat99
03-03-2005, 07:35 AM
I dont see what the problem is. I say good for him. I may hate his flight sims... and be a little ticked that they got out of the joystick making business but You have to admit that for a college drop out with a dream he has come far. I dont know the man personally but it seems to me that a lot of the agnst against BG is just hatin.... Get over it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

I dont think any of us have done the legwork to see where exctly his charitable money goes..... all we know is what gets publicized.

LeadSpitter_
03-03-2005, 07:47 AM
People dont seem to realize how many jobs bill gates created in just about every country in the word. And where would we be without computers and how many billions of jobs wouldnt be around. I think he does a great job with windows you guys ever use mac os which is even more for idiots then windows, totally simplified and lacking so many things and crashes just as much moreso I think.

He also donated billions of his money to schools the homeless scholarships etc just recently a few million to the tsunami disaster. After all isnt being knighted for doing great deed so thats what its for most likely not the some old lady tappin you on the shoulder with a sword means a **** thing anyways.

The190Flyer
03-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Thank you Sir William Gates for helping us with an inadequate operating system that loads up with spyware & viruses, thnx fer nuttin! hehe

Bearcat99
03-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Last time I looked no spyware or viruses had an official MS logo on them. At least not the stuff I have to delete from my HD and keep a firewall and AV up every day for...

VF51_Flatspin
03-03-2005, 09:12 AM
WOLFMondo: I've Known Scots and Irishmen who despise being referred to as British. That's the ONLY reason I referred to her as "English".

Please feel free to PM me as I don't want to further hijack the thread over syntax.

Regards.

EURO_Snoopy
03-03-2005, 09:49 AM
http://airwarfare.com/AWX/images/temp/Engage.jpg
One prefers Linux to Windows

Taylortony
03-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Agreed a similar thing exists in Norway I believe? And I think its a good way to go. Perhaps what I should of said was get rid of the civil list which is essentialy what entitles them to our money as frankly they havent deliverd value for money since world war 2 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed I think that when that inbr*d fruitcake Charles, a man so out of touch with the world eventually marries that horse he is engaged too and ascends to the throne, the whole scrounging bunch of them should be packed off, kept in name only or auctioned off on Ebay, the palaces should be returned to the nation and they should start to pay death duties, taxes etc etc etc with money from the civil list put into the NHS

Scragbat
03-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Well, if the British Monarchy couldn't get any more ridiculous... it just did!

Is it April?????????

huggy87
03-03-2005, 05:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Werre_Fsck:
Knighted for causing more loss of productivity than anyone in history.
Knighted for causing more headache for computer users than anyone in history.
Knighted for hijacking near monopoly with sub-mediocre product.
Knighted for pushing said product to all uses and purposes, when it's master of none. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like I said, go ahead and delete every microsoft product on your computer right now. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
03-03-2005, 07:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WOLFMondo:

They make more money than they spend. Lots of tourists from the US and Japan etc.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm not so sure about that myself mate I seem to remember it was the tax payer that had to foot the bill for the fire at windsor castle and that took place because they were too bloody tight to fit a sodding smoke alarm, pay to have the electricity re-wired and get adequate insurance?

Any how if you ask me that just generates revenue for the City of London and not the whole uk.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Just to add, I used to work for the Princes Trust, they do a hell of a lot for kids, young adults and the under privaliged.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I myself have worked with the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme and I can assure you His bloody royal highness has sod all to do with the day to day running of that scheme.

I suspect the royals benefit far more from their position (granted them by an accident of birth rather than any kind of deserving action on their part) than any scheme does by having the privalidge of tacking some coat of arms on to its insignia, or the occasional Royal visit.

Both the princess trust and the DoE schemes simply use those guys as a figure head or symbol to encourage assistance/donations from people who (and these are few and far between these days) are impressed by a bit of feudal pagentry or a coat of arms.

The work these trusts do and the people who work for them is exemplary but don't pretend that those folk do it simply because some noble sod has tacked his name onto their logo. They do it because they care about the issues and the people these schemes benefit and would do so even if it was called the bloody REEBOK / MICROSOFT TRUST.

Anyhoo I am not trying to get into a big hoohaahaa about it. The fact is that wether I think they should stay or go makes no difference as we all know its not going to happen.

If this country had the willingness to be a free of the shackles of monarchy it would have left things the way they were after the civil war. But no, for some strange reason this country is addicted to nobility and we will continue to cow tow to these people even if after a few more hundred years of in-breeding all they can do is sit on the throne with two pencils up their nostrils jibbering wibble at the servants.

I myself look forward to the next hillarious media pantomime that young Harry or some lesser member of the civil list will dream up to entertain us. Maybe he will dress up as Polpot or sadam Hussein at the next Hunt Ball? That will be a hoot wont it? Remember our taxes payed for that tits education.

Money well spent?

HansKnappstick
03-04-2005, 04:04 AM
Just another point of why the British Royal Family is a bad example of the monarchist idea.

HansKnappstick
03-04-2005, 04:24 AM
(...)
I suspect the royals benefit far more from their position (granted them by an accident of birth rather than any kind of deserving action on their part) (...) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's wrong with the position attained by an accident of birth? Everybody is what he is and has most of what he has just by accident of birth.

It's by accident of birth that I was born in Warsaw in 1974 rather that in the original Family Nest in more normal times... It's by accident that the Family's nest lies on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain...

It is also a an accident that I or many of you were born in Europe of 20th C. rather than to an African family on the verge of starvation... Or to a German family at 1621, with Swedish soldiers coming... I wonder what position you could attain in such a situation, Balrog... So don't be envious of other people's position attained by birth - yours is not that bad actually.

Xnomad
03-04-2005, 04:58 AM
Just a thought,.. One guy in here said "Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged!!!" That's a time honored
moral which we can all use to reveiw.
Yet I find myself asking,..? There have been lots of Humanitarians some of which have never been famous nor rich and have yet lain down their very lives working for humanitarian causes.
Gee,..? does the crown reconginize them with
such diginty and awe?

My Dad has been awarded medals (the MBE and then the OBE) from the Queen at Buckingham Palace for services to Britain, he's a business man and not in the services so you don't have to be famous to get a look in, he didn't deserve a Knighthood so he didn't get one.

Walking through the gate at Buckingham Palace in your best suit and being let in by the guards with hundreds of tourists watching from behind the gate makes me glad we have a monarchy, I felt like I was famous or something http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif all the Japanese tourists were thinking who the fark is he?

The worst part was we had been celbrating my Sister's graduation the night before and I had a really bad hangover, I was scared I was going to be sick in the ball room when the Queen was handing out the awards, I was a complete wreck for most of the time. You can't just get up and run to the toilet can you?

triggerhappyfin
03-04-2005, 08:16 AM
<span class="ev_code_RED">Bill Gates knighted!</span>

Is it done with the sword on his shoulders now a days?

What a chance to make a slicing sidewise movement http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif ooops! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

GT182
03-04-2005, 11:46 AM
LMAO... she must be scraping the bottom of the barrel to end up with Bill Gates. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Heck, I'm a documented distant relative and I can't even get a Knighthood. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif But I wouldn't want it anyways... I'd be too tempted to kick Chuck's butt. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

92SqnGCJimbo
03-04-2005, 01:28 PM
lol... good to see yer all having so much fun about the monarchy.... the reson we still have one is because the majority of the countries that use the british monarchy (canada.. australia.. new zealand and the rest) wanted them.... they do a great service as ambassadors and dont forget... if the queen dont like a law she can overpower the govement.... thats why once a year she sits in the house of lords to show that even though she doesnt have direct control over the country she can still persuade it....
also after the civil war the reason that we ended up with a king again was because in his latter years as protector of the state.. cromwell became a tyrant.. worse in many politicians of the times eyes than the monarchy they had before....

and going on about harry up to no good.... thats only because hes a celebrity.... just because yer in the limelight all the time doesnt mean u cant let yer hair down once in a while....
and as for the royal family being inbread.... ppl only know that beacus the royal family tree is well documented.... just u think that because you dont have a family tree... u could have been banging yer own realtions.....

as for bill gates being knighted his title is sbe (services to the british empire) while i dont like it (i dont like bill gates.... dunno why) he has helped alot in all countries and no.. he will never be called sir bill gates...

and as for having no empire we went forced to give it all back.... after WWII we were broke and couldnt afford to keep up the armed forces to poilice the regions but we still keep interestes in a few countries.... we still get money from the aforementioned countries that uses out monarchy... but we let them govern themselves.. bit like buying a nike trainer all your buying is the name..... the countries are paying to use our monarchy...

so shut up and leave them all alone....

oh and before u all start about me being a england fanboy.... i was born in wales but consider myself british... yes i believe in welsh nationalism and always support wales over englsih teams but ELIZABETH II is the queen of scotland england wales and northern island (im on about britain here i know about the rest)
and we aint gonna lose the monarchy any time soon..

oh and plz flame away.. i have my extinguishers ready...

p.s as for harry being king (if he ever ascends the throne) could u imagine the party... "STATE PARTY.... DRUGS AND HO'S FOR ALL"

MO_JOJO
03-05-2005, 09:58 AM
I think he's as good a choice as any for knighthood. It's not like it means a got-**** thing, and who gives a rat's *** bout knights anyway? It's a big ***-kissing club for rich bastards who wanna feel like their important in the world. I think if you're knighted you get to serve in the Royal Marines for 4 years.

Let's see who shows up for the ceremony then. "Sorry I can't make it your majesty, I overslept!".

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
03-09-2005, 04:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HansKnappstick:
(...)
I suspect the royals benefit far more from their position (granted them by an accident of birth rather than any kind of deserving action on their part) (...) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's wrong with the position attained by an accident of birth? Everybody is what he is and has most of what he has just by accident of birth.

It's by accident of birth that I was born in Warsaw in 1974 rather that in the original Family Nest in more normal times... It's by accident that the Family's nest lies on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain...

It is also a an accident that I or many of you were born in Europe of 20th C. rather than to an African family on the verge of starvation... Or to a German family at 1621, with Swedish soldiers coming... I wonder what position you could attain in such a situation, Balrog... So don't be envious of other people's position attained by birth - yours is not that bad actually. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes your quite right there but my accidental birth didn't require the rest of the country to bend over and kiss my arze while at the same time contributing a small portion of its income to my pesonal habits.

As for the envy you may have a point there cos if I was king you would all be eating coconuts while I dined on venison and rogerd every damsel in the kingdom from here to droitwitch.

Also whining bastards who said ooo isn't the monarchy a wonderful thing would be the first fakking one's in the tower as they are quite obviously kissing arze in the hope that they can have a piece of my pie!!

The United states would still be a colony and half of france would be british and Scotland would be the seat of government. Also I would ride around in a gold plated sherman tank and hunt hippies mwuahahahahahahhaha make me a king Britain! Go on ! I will give you a knighthood if you do.

now thats what a bloody monarchy is all about.

Werre_Fsck
03-09-2005, 04:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by huggy87:
Like I said, go ahead and delete every microsoft product on your computer right now. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well playing IL2 is kinda hard without that POS excuse for an operating system (winblows) underneath. Other than that I don't use any M$ malware. Debian all the way baby.

All M$ apologists can go suck an egg.

FRAGAL
03-09-2005, 04:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HansKnappstick:
(...)

It is also a an accident that I or many of you were born in Europe of 20th C. rather than to an African family on the verge of starvation... Or to a German family at 1621, with Swedish soldiers coming... I wonder what position you could attain in such a situation, Balrog... So don't be envious of other people's position attained by birth - yours is not that bad actually. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes your quite right there but my accidental birth didn't require the rest of the country to bend over and kiss my arze while at the same time contributing a small portion of its income to my pesonal habits.

As for the envy you may have a point there cos if I was king you would all be eating coconuts while I dined on venison and rogerd every damsel in the kingdom from here to droitwitch.

Also whining bastards who said ooo isn't the monarchy a wonderful thing would be the first fakking one's in the tower as they are quite obviously kissing arze in the hope that they can have a piece of my pie!!

The United states would still be a colony and half of france would be british and Scotland would be the seat of government. Also I would ride around in a gold plated sherman tank and hunt hippies mwuahahahahahahhaha make me a king Britain! Go on ! I will give you a knighthood if you do.

now thats what a bloody monarchy is all about. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

I got Dibs on Queen then

AlGroover
03-09-2005, 05:06 AM
Can't someone challenge him to a joust?

ploughman
03-09-2005, 12:02 PM
A monarchy is like an appendix, an evolutionary throughback to days of yore. If it gives you any trouble you have it removed, in the meantime you leave it be because if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And besides, what would we put on our stamps?

Balrog clearly needs his monarchy republicating, but luckily we live in democracy-ish and the rantings of mad Scot are only 1.3 times as important (on account of the Pict's over-representation in parliament) as the considered counsel of an English shireling, and you get more money/person back from the f'ing exchequer north of the border and don't talk to me about all that oil as that belonged to the Shetlanders and we both stole it fair and square.

Bill Gates huh. Now I've seen everything. They'll be knighting rock-stars next.

Happy days.

Aaron_GT
03-09-2005, 12:07 PM
"Oh yes, he was knighted by queen Elizabeth today! I guess she never played one of his company's flight simulators!"

She would probably be able to give insight on how the German bombs were modelled, though.

Aaron_GT
03-09-2005, 12:12 PM
"Just for the record, Bill Gates has given more BILLIONS(that's Billions, Not mere Millions) to various charitable causes than anyone else in the history of mankind!"

As the world's richest man he has more billions to give, though. In proportion to net worth I suspect that most of us here give a larger proportion to charity. As to whether the measure should be the absolute amount or the proportion, that's an question of philosophy I suppose.

Aaron_GT
03-09-2005, 12:14 PM
"It was very helpfully to spend BILLIONS $ to fight HIV in India,
but why give Bill Gates his money only to India and not Africa?"

If you were cynical you might suggest it is because a large proportion of the engineers that wrote Windows were Indian ex-patriates. Luckily I am not so cynical :-)

Aaron_GT
03-09-2005, 12:25 PM
"People dont seem to realize how many jobs bill gates created in just about every country in the word. And where would we be without computers and how many billions of jobs wouldnt be around. I think he does a great job with windows you guys ever use mac os which is even more for idiots then windows, totally simplified and lacking so many things and crashes just as much moreso I think."

The move to windows-based systems was already under way (GEM, Amiga, Mac, etc) since Xerox introduced the idea. The rights to some of the concepts that went into Windows were obtained from Apple (although Apple nicked them from Xerox).

With regard to the job creation, without Windows we would be using other operating systems. In terms of servers, increasingly we are (Windows' market share is losing out to what are essentially UNIX-like OSes on top of various kernels: UNIX, Mach, Linux). Microsoft did make big strides in terms of usability of computers, though, but it was a case of being in the right place at the right time with the right backing to exploit already existing movements, plus Apple's past ability in the late 80s/early 90s to take a decent product and then screw everything up.

With regard to OSX, it is remarkably stable, being a modified BSD UNIX over a modified mach kernel (derived from Jobs' old gig at NeXT). The US Navy just selected OSX for its ships after bad experiences with Windows (Microsoft will not certify Windows for safety-critical systems).

Windows, even in 2003, has problems left over from legacy APIs, and Internet Explorer's hangovers from SpyGlass and Mosaic. (IE was initially bought in - just like Word, Excel, Access, Project, and Flight Sim). But then Linux still has some issues with regard to its kernel structure, interrupts and preemption (even with the recent work done on some of these) thst Windows does better with. Microkernel architectures also have their issues too. And then there are some OSes which have fallen by the wayside which have some excellent features, and some clangers, such as BeOS and AmigaOS. BSD is pretty good, but support for hardware isn't so great, outside BSD/Darwin/OSX, Solaris has some nice features, but is missing some, ditto AIX and IRIX... We're still waiting for the perfect OS!

Aaron_GT
03-09-2005, 12:27 PM
" would be british and Scotland would be the seat of government."

Blair... Scottish
Brown... Scottish
Reid... Scottish
Falconer.Scottish

I think the seat of government is in the hands of the Scottish if not actually in Scotland :-)

ploughman
03-09-2005, 12:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> As the world's richest man he has more billions to give, though. In proportion to net worth I suspect that most of us here give a larger proportion to charity. As to whether the measure should be the absolute amount or the proportion, that's an question of philosophy I suppose. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill lives in a world where he could give away 98% of his assets and still not notice it'd gone. If I gave away 98% of my assets I'd be on a park bench eating newspapers. For all I know Bill might be a really nice bloke, but he is symptomatic of a system that leaves the top three richest men on the planet with more money combined than the poorest BILLION people. One day all those poor sods are going to want to know why.

By the way Bill, your flight simulator stinks.

MEGILE
03-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Hey.. that's the nature of capitalism.. if you want your fancy pc, your fancy car, and your fancy clothes.. someone is going to get very rich, and some people are going to be very poor.

Aaron_GT
03-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Capitalism used to work just fine with a smaller disparity in wealth. I very much believe in the advantages of capitalism. Some of the alternatives are very nice in theory, but totally unworkable in practice beyond very small communities. Fine for the stone age, perhaps.

BaldieJr
03-09-2005, 08:22 PM
I don't see any anti-gates nutjobs whining about Westinghouse, so I'll assume its just petty jealously.

Obi_Kwiet
03-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Hey.. that's the nature of capitalism.. if you want your fancy pc, your fancy car, and your fancy clothes.. someone is going to get very rich, and some people are going to be very poor. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The US is very capitalist, and there are no very poor. Heck, bums who are too lazy too work are better off than most people were five hundred years ago. There is no hunger except in the case of criminal negligence of parents to their children.

ploughman
03-10-2005, 06:53 AM
Well there's a structuralist arguement about why the US is rich and why a country like Guatemala isn't, but this is a flight sim forum and if you're interested you've probably already read the books and if you're not it seems most of us are most looking forward to the Mosquito FB Mk VI, me too.