PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* Cowl Flaps...

ATLAS_DEATH
04-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Heh... ok I have a question. We all know that having the rads open will reduce top speed...

I've seen some numbers like.. 5-7km/h faster with them shut.. not much. Reading a recent thread I started to wonder if they only reduce speed whilst open. Do they have any other impact on how the plane 'handles' in the air?
More shake at high speed? For such a small airspeed gain I find I just open them all the way and leave them. Is this really a bad thing?

ATLAS_DEATH
04-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Heh... ok I have a question. We all know that having the rads open will reduce top speed...

I've seen some numbers like.. 5-7km/h faster with them shut.. not much. Reading a recent thread I started to wonder if they only reduce speed whilst open. Do they have any other impact on how the plane 'handles' in the air?
More shake at high speed? For such a small airspeed gain I find I just open them all the way and leave them. Is this really a bad thing?

Zeus-cat
04-08-2006, 12:43 PM
I think engine damage is much more likely when someone shoots at you and you radiator claps are open.

I make a practice of opening them up all the way while just flying around. I close them down in combat.

VW-IceFire
04-08-2006, 12:55 PM
One thing...unless they have fixed this in 4.04...any aircraft with a R-2800 engine does not gain any cooling from the rads being open. So flying a Hellcat, Corsair, Thunderbolt or otherwise is useless.

domenlovrec
04-09-2006, 03:41 AM
IceFire, so all versions of P47 have this problem? I think SBD has same problem.

Cajun76
04-09-2006, 04:07 AM
AFAIK, you will overheat at the same rate, closed or open, but you won't be able to cool off without having the rad open, for the P-47 at least.

CUJO_1970
04-09-2006, 05:43 AM
Some aircraft should actually achieve their top speeds with rads _open_.

Speed runs with FW190s were done rads open, for example the Dora-9 should reach it's top speed with rads set at 2 or 4. In this position, the flaps set flush with the cowling.

With the sim though, you must close rads, and in the Antons, go manual prop pitch.

In real life - open rads, auto prop.

JtD
04-09-2006, 05:54 AM
The speed impact is much larger.

See here (http://mitglied.lycos.de/jaytdee/t404/404testing.html).

I do not think that there are any other side effects. Never noticed anything.