PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry 2 influence?

Poiso42
06-06-2011, 09:32 PM
<span class="ev_code_WHITE">Hi, everyone.

I was a big fan of Far Cry 2. In an industry that seems content to re-release the same games over and over (and where criticizing the industry for releasing the same game over and over has itself become tiresome,) Ubisoft Montreal and Clint Hocking really showed some courage and innovation. The brutality and openness of the setting complimented the game play perfectly, where the player was allowed to take the reigns of the chaos himself and engage situations however he wanted.

Far Cry 1 was a good game too, but I always felt that compared to Ubisoft, Crytek was a little bit superficial in its presentation of an open world. You were still railroaded from one encounter to the next and I never felt quite as creative as FC2 allowed me to feel. I was a little nervous when I saw that FC3 is borrowing its general look and feel more from Far Cry 1 than from Far Cry 2, but it's too early for me to start moaning about how this is more a sequel to Far Cry 1 than Far Cry 2.

I was wonder how you all feel about some of Far Cry 2's more distinctive features. I for one was a big fan of the weapon jamming and the malaria. The game gave you the opportunity to make plans, introduced the possibility for those plans to fail through intelligent enemy AI or simply through chaos and randomness like rocket misfires and malaria attacks, but most importantly the game always gave you opportunities to recover and come up with new plans on the fly. I thought this was an important cycle. If a player can be guaranteed that his plans will always succeed, then the game can become stagnant, no?

Of course Far Cry 2 was also a very ambitious game, and its ambition wasn't always met. The story and the world were intended to be far more reactive to player choices. But I always admired the game for not taking the easy route when that plan failed, and simply sprinkling cutscenes everywhere. I'm seeing signs of railroading in Far Cry 3 and I'm just a little uneasy. Asking me to care about my fictional girlfriend and having my character straight-up tell ME what MY plan is (the chopper!) are bad signs.

Hoping for some discussion on all this!</span>

Poiso42
06-06-2011, 09:32 PM
<span class="ev_code_WHITE">Hi, everyone.

I was a big fan of Far Cry 2. In an industry that seems content to re-release the same games over and over (and where criticizing the industry for releasing the same game over and over has itself become tiresome,) Ubisoft Montreal and Clint Hocking really showed some courage and innovation. The brutality and openness of the setting complimented the game play perfectly, where the player was allowed to take the reigns of the chaos himself and engage situations however he wanted.

Far Cry 1 was a good game too, but I always felt that compared to Ubisoft, Crytek was a little bit superficial in its presentation of an open world. You were still railroaded from one encounter to the next and I never felt quite as creative as FC2 allowed me to feel. I was a little nervous when I saw that FC3 is borrowing its general look and feel more from Far Cry 1 than from Far Cry 2, but it's too early for me to start moaning about how this is more a sequel to Far Cry 1 than Far Cry 2.

I was wonder how you all feel about some of Far Cry 2's more distinctive features. I for one was a big fan of the weapon jamming and the malaria. The game gave you the opportunity to make plans, introduced the possibility for those plans to fail through intelligent enemy AI or simply through chaos and randomness like rocket misfires and malaria attacks, but most importantly the game always gave you opportunities to recover and come up with new plans on the fly. I thought this was an important cycle. If a player can be guaranteed that his plans will always succeed, then the game can become stagnant, no?

Of course Far Cry 2 was also a very ambitious game, and its ambition wasn't always met. The story and the world were intended to be far more reactive to player choices. But I always admired the game for not taking the easy route when that plan failed, and simply sprinkling cutscenes everywhere. I'm seeing signs of railroading in Far Cry 3 and I'm just a little uneasy. Asking me to care about my fictional girlfriend and having my character straight-up tell ME what MY plan is (the chopper!) are bad signs.

Hoping for some discussion on all this!</span>

mikeware
06-06-2011, 10:02 PM
It's important to have objectives, farcry always had, the key is: how do you complete the objective?
and I think this is the primary key from farcry series... You make your own decisions to pass an obstacle and survive.

Martythemerc
06-07-2011, 12:22 PM
The payoff with FC2 was the fact that everytime you played it - it was almost a new game because you approached each mission differently in tactics and sequence with different weapon loads. The 5th time I started using the flare gun more when a mission took me to dry grass regions - great pyro technics with that in fighting the enemy. One of the elements of a great game is replayability. I hope #3 lives up to what #2 was in that regard.

One other thing. I noticed in one of the new preview videos was that the HUD is visable lower left, and other videos was not. Those kind of visuals muck up the screen with junk. I hope it can be turned on/off for quick reference like the GPS map on FC2. ?? Ubi ?

Metal_Mavrik
06-08-2011, 01:20 AM
Judging by the fact that an option came up to "Loot Body" when he killed people in the e3 demo, which resulted in him finding money as well as a valuable object that can probably be sold, I would bet that this game will be similar to FC2 in the open world aspect.

Considering you couldn't sell items in FC2, (which right now I am assuming is basically the only purpose of that Ivory statue) it's probably even more open world than the last one. My fingers are crossed for maybe even a fully fledged inventory system.

As far as the "caring about the girlfriend" thing goes, I could really say the same thing about the Jackal. Why should you care if he sells guns? Is it "rail-roading" because they gave you a mission to accomplish?

Far Cry 2 still has a linear story line, it just has an open world environment. You were still assigned the same missions. In that game, your goal was to kill the Jackal. In this game, your goal is to find your girlfriend and escape the island. I'm pretty sure the e3 demo was just an intro to the game. It's the same as when you contracted malaria and the Jackal approached you in your room. If they hadn't "rail-roaded" that experience to you, they wouldn't have been able to introduce the story.

BS PALADIN
06-08-2011, 03:44 AM
All story need some level of linearity. Although you can choose branching or alternative paths between each main story point. So that way you get your own personal story within the main linear story.

For me stories make a game.