PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - Limited Codex Edition Damaged (Ubisoft please read)

AceMcCloud
11-21-2010, 05:21 AM
My Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - Limited Codex Edition for Xbox 360 arrived a couple of days ago, I opened it to discover the Codex box it's in is damaged.

The little pegs in the lid are all snapped off, and the velvet lid inner lining has come away.

Items inside are ok, but it's quite annoying considering it cost me 69.99.

Unfortunately, it's a Play.com exclusive and when I called them, they said they're out of stock. To my mind it's been a while since a Limited Edition was truly limited, annoying.

Ubi, is there anyone I can contact to get a replacement Codex case shipped out to me? I've got previous AC collectables and very dissapointed this hasn't made it intact.

I don't much fancy paying 2-3 times the amount on another one off ebay either.

AceMcCloud
11-21-2010, 05:21 AM
My Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - Limited Codex Edition for Xbox 360 arrived a couple of days ago, I opened it to discover the Codex box it's in is damaged.

The little pegs in the lid are all snapped off, and the velvet lid inner lining has come away.

Items inside are ok, but it's quite annoying considering it cost me 69.99.

Unfortunately, it's a Play.com exclusive and when I called them, they said they're out of stock. To my mind it's been a while since a Limited Edition was truly limited, annoying.

Ubi, is there anyone I can contact to get a replacement Codex case shipped out to me? I've got previous AC collectables and very dissapointed this hasn't made it intact.

I don't much fancy paying 2-3 times the amount on another one off ebay either.

Chariflame
11-21-2010, 08:07 AM
This has happened to most of the Codex Editions, including mine and my friends', I'm afraid.

I think the broken off "pegs" aren't actually designed to keep the lid in place, they look more like they're from the manufacturing process. The velvet inlay is what keeps the lid in place, which yes, comes of so very easily from the main plastic part but can be glued back fairly easily.

DXM_TheMachine
11-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Sadly, this problem have befallen my Limited Codex Edition as well, with the added kick that Play.com felt a thin sheet of bubble wrap that wasn't even taped around the box and a plastic bag were sufficient packing materials. On top of that, it looked like the courier had used it as a football. They're just offering me a refund (no replacement as it's sold out). I feel let down, it was meant as a present and is now going to result in a lot of disappointment...not only was the lid loose, pegs broken and velvet detached, but the corners of the assassin's tomb had been cracked and chipped...the surrounding cardboard had been scuffed, twisted and repeatedly punctured.
I know there's nothing I can do about it, but Play.com's contempt towards an expensive item has surprised and disappointed me. For 70, I expected better http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

ghost_shild
11-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Wow, I feel sorry for you guys. I'm glad my Codex Edition is al fine.

Mr_Shade
11-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Have you considered talking to Ubisoft Support?

They may be able to help get the lid replaced, or at the very least offer advice on a way of fixing it yourself.

Sorry to see you have this problem, and the above is not an excuse, but please see if Ubisoft can help you sort it.

DXM_TheMachine
11-21-2010, 09:58 AM
I've got in touch directly with Ubisoft. Hopefully they can provide a complete replacement, as Play.com have already got me to return my copy (it was a complete write-off). I don't hold anything against Ubisoft, in my case it seems it was mostly Play.com's lazy packaging that did the damage. Just so disappointed that this has happened at this time of year http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

rolandlisa
11-21-2010, 05:22 PM
You should have just made a one off account and sold it on ebay for 200

realgangsta213
11-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Great illegal advice^^^

Anyway it does seem manufacturing was rather rushed and rubbish for codex editions. Mine was alright thank god but i noticed being the OCD i am that the assassin symbols on the box aren't perfectly aligned and the double floor moves a bit. Those problems are nothing compared to yours guys and i do hope you get a replacement as last time i checked ubishop still had stock

rolandlisa
11-21-2010, 05:46 PM
What selling something on ebay? Don't be ******ed you just have to list whats wrong with it, it'd still sell.

realgangsta213
11-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Oh no not selling something, i thought you implied stating it's brand new cause that would be illegal. i just assumed because you said one off...

rolandlisa
11-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Lol I just didn't know if he had an ebay or not, no probs.

DXM_TheMachine
11-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Someone mentioned to me that they'd seen a copy going for 299. It's insane. Whilst I really don't want to cause any disappointment at Christmas, I can't really afford that kind of outlay, 70 was a lot for me to begin with http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I just hope Ubisoft get back to me quickly as Play.com want to collect my damaged copy on Tuesday; but if Ubisoft can replace the case and box I really don't want to send it back as it looks amazing and would make a brilliant present if I can get it all sorted. Argh, stress! lol

kegs_11
11-22-2010, 06:06 AM
so whats the support number or contact details? just got mine and all the pegs are snapped meaning the lid just slides across the box. im happy to send the lid back for a replacement but if you could supply the outer card box for ps3 in better condition my inner ocd-ness would be happy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DXM_TheMachine
11-22-2010, 08:03 AM
I'd recommend getting onto them through their support page on Ubisoft.com and explaining things to them. I'm waiting on an answer at the moment from them, hopefully they can help as I really need an answer as Play.com are supposed to be collecting it (my damaged copy) tomorrow to issue me a refund (mine was in such a bad state that keeping it wasn't really an option...unless Ubisoft can provide new packaging and a new Assassin's Tomb).
I was just wondering though; I'm assuming most if not all of you received your copies from Play.com in the UK and, well, I was wondering...was I the only one to just have my copy thrown into a thin grey plastic bag and shipped to me (woefully inadequate imo...should've been in a box with some padding really) or did everyone's copy get treated as poorly? It's such a shame as the set would be fantastic without all the damage http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

caswallawn_2k7
11-22-2010, 08:15 AM
this is actually a common problem with how play ships items (as cheap packing as possible) I ordered the collectors edition of all 6 seasons of lost from Play on bluray and when it game there was punctures not only through the bag it came in but also straight through the box that keeps the collectors edition together.

play were not exactly helpful with this problem, so it seems they are a bad place to get items from if they come with any visually important packaging/boxes until they learn how to package their items properly. it never use to be a problem but it seems the last year or so their packaging is going down hill.

AnthonyA85
11-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Hm.....My brother has already pre-ordered the codex edition for me from Play (the pc version)

HOPEFULLY it'll be in good condition when it arives, if not, it'll be the ONLY thing I ask himi to order from play for me.

VladimirKal
11-25-2010, 06:35 AM
"Have you considered talking to Ubisoft Support?"

I done this a few days ago, just got a response, but they've told me to contact Play.com.

To be honest, I don't understand that advice.
The problems with the lid aren't anything to do with Play.com, it has to be an error in manufacturing that causes so many of the products to be defective.

It's like the Bioshock Big Daddies that were broken.
2K were the ones to deal with that, not the retailers.

SirAngry
11-26-2010, 03:59 AM
I hate to disagree but the problem is 100% with Play. My Codex Edition was smashed to pieces because it was sent in a plastic bag with no bubble wrap or protection because Play's staff are ******s. Got a replacement after phoning their utterly useless call centre in some far off land. I feel sorry for you because Play.com's customer service is atrocious and their inability to pack ANYTHING properly has caused many a damaged product to turn up at my door. I won't be ordering from them EVER again because their service is so rubbish and I'd urged everyone to give them a wide berth as they're just so impossible to get refunds / replacements out of, they talk like its your fault they messed up. However I would urge and beg Ubisoft to sell future limited editions of AC and their other games via any other retailer because Play.com are so poor, its just causing your customers problems selling yur premium product via them alone.

AceMcCloud
11-26-2010, 07:36 AM
There are three parties at fault here:
Ubisoft (and whoever they got to manufacturer the Codex Editions)
Play.com
Courier used by Play.com, I got a card as I wasn't in, they're called "Yodel" (fills me with confidence already!)

Now, I buy quite a few Limited/Super/More Money than sense Editions, I bought the Legendary edition of Reach from Play, that arrived without a hair out of place, why? Because...

The product was of a high standard... the pegs and glued on velt seem rather cheap to me. Ubisoft at fault.

The packaging of the product was just a carboard sleave, the carboard wrapped around the legendary edition was a centimeter thick! Ok, a bit extreme, but they could have done more for it's own packaging/cushioning. Ubisoft again, or whoever they got to manufacturer it.

Storage of the item, Play.com, now a large thick cardboard box can take some weight on it and a little rough housing, a small thin carboard box can't, I suspect the ones on the bottom took a lot of damage, while those on top faired better.

Yodel, or the courier used, more than likely tossed in the back, heavier things loaded ontop, and bouncing around in the back as the somewhat dubious looking courier company looks like. This is both their fault and Play.com for using them, I would think DHL and UPS would take better care.

While Play.com and Yodel are definately in the firing line, it's also Ubisoft's and their manufacturer's fault too, as I am returning my Play.com one and received another from the Ubisoft shop, now this one faired better, the inner lid hasn't come off, however one of the pegs has come off, better than the play.com one where only one peg remained intact, but still it certainly shows up the poor quality of the product that it's soo delicate. Also, Ubisoft Shop's packaging wasn't much better either, a cardboard box around it with straps, barely bigger than the item inside it.

Is it too much to ask for a thicker cardboard box with bubblewrap inside to cushion these things?

*sigh*, do I return this one as well, or just carefully apply an amount of clue to the peg, and a sign "DO NOT TOUCH FOR FEAR OF COLLAPSE" next to it on my shelf?

I hope Ubisoft remembers this for AC3...

caswallawn_2k7
11-26-2010, 08:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would think DHL and UPS would take better care. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
never been in their ware houses have you? all couriers are the same (have worked for several) everything up to large flat screen TV's get thrown about in and out of vans because the drivers are gennerally given little time to get the vans sorted loaded/unloaded at the start/end of the day.

VladimirKal
11-26-2010, 08:50 AM
I replied saying about how the problem wasn't anything to do with Play.com in my case, (you know, unless they decided to open my order and screw it up then this can't have been caused by them).

All I got was this response:

"If you buy a product that you are not happy with for whatever reason, if it is broken at the time of purchase or if you are just not happy with it, you will always need to turn to the retailer, not the manufacturer.

I am sorry we can not help you more, but this is technical support and we do not deal with sales or orders."

I'm sorry, but that's absolutely p*ss poor on Ubisoft's part.
All that sounds like to me is Ubisoft not wanting to take any responsibility and telling me politely to f--- off.

DXM_TheMachine
11-30-2010, 02:01 AM
I must confess, I got pretty much the same response from Ubisoft myself, as if they've been using the identical response for everyone getting in touch. In my case, yes; I think Ubisoft could've made the packaging and collector's edition a little more sturdy BUT, any retailer who thinks that a single plastic bag is sufficient packaging on a 70 item is utterly deluded. And, evidently, it had gone through quite the experience in the hands of the courier (given the dents, tears and puncture marks). As a result, I've actually cancelled almost all my outstanding orders with Play.com, as a company that has such evident contempt for its customers isn't someone I'd like to shop with any more. They even gave me a refund for the Codex Edition, when I'd asked for a replacement. In my frustration, I ordered from the Ubishop, took 2 days to arrive, was actually put inside a cardboard box (though perhaps a little bubble wrap may have been a good idea) and was sent by UPS all for the same price as Play.com, and unlike my order from Play, the box was in perfect condition, not a piece out of place. Personally, I place a hefty part of the responsibility on Play, but I do accept that given how delicate the Assassin's Tomb is, perhaps some better retail packaging would've helped (even a plastic shell inside the box or the like). To me, it feels like slightly rushed production meets indifferent retailer...which given how much people have paid for these special editions, seems a little disappointing; Especially when you consider how loyal gamers who buy one special edition tend to buy a LOT of special editions. Way to shoot yourselves in the foot Play. And Ubisoft, if you're reading; the set is great if you receive it undamaged, but please tighten up a little on the quality control for the sake of your loyal fans. Thanks.

Slayabyss
12-01-2010, 12:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by realgangsta213:
Great illegal advice^^^

Anyway it does seem manufacturing was rather rushed and rubbish for codex editions. Mine was alright thank god but i noticed being the OCD i am that the assassin symbols on the box aren't perfectly aligned and the double floor moves a bit. Those problems are nothing compared to yours guys and i do hope you get a replacement as last time i checked ubishop still had stock </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I noticed after looking at previous game covers that the seal is ment to be off center