PDA

View Full Version : Video Settings: Clouds

BM357_Hitcher
06-13-2005, 11:18 AM
This may have already been discussed earlier, so please forgive me if it has.

I have noticed that there is a considerable difference in the amount and position of clouds on a map depending on if you use Detailed Clouds or Medium Clouds. This can obviously cause problems in a DF when your opponent does not see a cloud that you believe you are well hidden inside of.

Has anyone else noticed this? Will this be addressed in 4.01m?

BM357_Hitcher
06-13-2005, 11:18 AM
This may have already been discussed earlier, so please forgive me if it has.

I have noticed that there is a considerable difference in the amount and position of clouds on a map depending on if you use Detailed Clouds or Medium Clouds. This can obviously cause problems in a DF when your opponent does not see a cloud that you believe you are well hidden inside of.

Has anyone else noticed this? Will this be addressed in 4.01m?

pacettid
06-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Hitch,

I'm almost positive that clouds are a server side selection when flying online.

Whatever the host sets, is what you see when you play on his/her server.

BM357_Hitcher
06-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks, Don-

The problem is that, while the user cannot turn clouds to "No Clouds", they can switch from Medium to Detailed Clouds. We have been doing some testing and it appears that those using Medium Clouds will not see the same quantity or location of clouds on the same map.

This can cause situations where the player using Medium Clouds can kick the **** out of players using Detailed Clouds because they don't see the same clouds.

Anyone else?

BM357_Hitcher
06-13-2005, 09:53 PM
Bump!

Just hoping someone can help me out here. Are there any known cheats to avoid seeing clouds? Will using Medium Clouds prevent you from seeing the same cloud as someone using Detailed Clouds in a close dogfight? I know they render differently at a distance.

Thanks for your help!

crazyivan1970
06-13-2005, 10:24 PM
Hi Hitcher,

These two lines in the readme file:

TypeClouds=0 - old clouds
TypeClouds=1 - new clouds

This is how it works...
couple of scenarios for MP to explain it better...

1) on the client and the server side TypeClouds=0 - meaning client can chose any type of clouds he likes (medium/detailed)

2) server TypeClouds=1 Client TypeClouds=0 - Clouds settings dictated by server, meaning there is no such thing as detailed or not for new clouds... they just new clouds, period http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif for all clients on that server.

BM357_Hitcher
06-14-2005, 05:56 AM
Thank you, sir!

BM357_Troll
06-14-2005, 09:29 AM
Without specific knowledge of how things work in this situation, I am wondering if two clients who upgraded to 4.0, then swapped specific files back to 3.04 so that they could connect to a server set up for 3.04 were somehow left with the capability to fly under different cloud environments. The question being if the 3.04 server software was unaware of a new switch on the client side, could the clients switch? Of course, this sort of thing would not occur if we all upgraded simultaneously, so it is merely a hypothetical question.

crazyivan1970
06-14-2005, 10:14 AM
As far as i know doing this would not be possible.

SlickStick
06-14-2005, 03:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BM357_Troll:
Without specific knowledge of how things work in this situation, I am wondering if two clients who upgraded to 4.0, then swapped specific files back to 3.04 so that they could connect to a server set up for 3.04 were somehow left with the capability to fly under different cloud environments. The question being if the 3.04 server software was unaware of a new switch on the client side, could the clients switch? Of course, this sort of thing would not occur if we all upgraded simultaneously, so it is merely a hypothetical question. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand what you are referring to with your question, Troll, like when we'd swap in older sound .DLL files or similar, mixing and matching new and old parts of the game.

From what I understand, the clouds are in the encrypted SFS files and you wouldn't be able to replace one of those and still have the same version.

However, I never discount anything when it comes to "hacker" skills on the internet, especially considering the strange patching issues one can create by muffing around with the patch installation process in AEP and in PF.http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

fuser59
06-14-2005, 07:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
Hi Hitcher,

These two lines in the readme file:

TypeClouds=1 - new clouds

This is how it works...
couple of scenarios for MP to explain it better...

1) on the client and the server side TypeClouds=0 - meaning client can chose any type of clouds he likes (medium/detailed)

2) server TypeClouds=1 Client TypeClouds=0 - Clouds settings dictated by server, meaning there is no such thing as detailed or not for new clouds... they just new clouds, period http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif for all clients on that server. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for beginning this thread Hitcher, and hey Ivan, does this mean the server can "totally control" everyone's clouds 0 or 1 when they are on his server? If it is automatically done from the server side, I would sure feel easier about it.

Awaiting your reply.

Hunter82
06-14-2005, 08:15 PM
Yes server will be able to set cloud type and setting. At taht oint the only chnages between detailed and medium is the medium cloud will not have shadows..where in previous versions detailed clouds had increased and larger cloud environment vs medium.

This is a much welcomed feature in my opinion and should stop the cheat whines online from people who think they are in a cloud cover and wonder how they are getting shot easily. Now if someone is in a cloud ALL will see that cloud regardless of settings.

pdog1
06-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Where in the config file does

go?

Oh i didn't get a readme i checked, no 4.0 readme in there, i guess i have to buy rudder pedals first for the readme...

Benhur_C6
06-15-2005, 01:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">At taht oint the only chnages between detailed and medium is the medium cloud will not have shadows.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, it makes useless to hide into the shadow of a cloud. It s sad to not be able to use the enhanced contrast on ground introduced by the new clouds. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif