PDA

View Full Version : hrm? lag?

vidiotY2k
10-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Lets get one thing out of the way first. My computer will be defragged very soon and all will rejoice. Programs such as Myst 4 will run better, but that doesn€t make me stop and wonder why it€s not working right. Especially when it seems the problems are consistent.

I have lag problems, but what€s bizarre is that the game runs perfectly fine until it gets to certain areas and then it€s slide show time. I first noticed this after the killer introduction, everything was playing fine, I had nothing else running. I get on the elevator Tomahna and everything is running fine until the age comes into view and then it slowed down considerably, and then, poof perfectly fine. Slow down happened again for a brief moment with Yeesha and the lizard, slow down when the giant dam opens up and water pours out. It should be noted that these sequences start slow, and then speed back up to perfect quality. The most ****ing of these odd slowdowns comes when you head down to the third level on the elevator in Tomaha (goes over the water.), its slide show city, I haven€t seen that much lag for any game in a long time (It doesn€t speed back up to perfect btw). I also experienced some slowdown specifically inside the linking chamber to Spire and Haven, the scene fluctuates from being really slow to being really fast again, same problem in Achenar€s cabin in Haven. From what I can tell there is nothing really taxing on my system when I look around in these scenes, except for the prerendered purdiness.

The reason why I€m writing this down instead of shutting up and defragging my harddrive is that I have a theory on why its slowing down, but being someone without any knowledge of DVD material I was wondering if one of you guys might tell me I€m wrong. I think it has to do with material that€s not installed and running off the DVD. I didn€t do a full install, frightened by the whole 9 gig thing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif So I think that these movies or materials are running slowly off the DVD for some reason. This might explain why some live action sequences that let you move around freely work fine while others don€t. (For example the sequence talking to Atrus in the beginning runs perfectly.) Is that possible? I€m weary of having to do a full install so I want an opinion or someone to tell me to try and defrag first before sacrificing my 9 gigs.

I have a Gforce 3 ti something and my drivers are updated.

These slowdown issues I described are consistent, nothing else out of the ordinary except for those scenes slow it down.

The game rules btw
-vidiot-

vidiotY2k
10-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Lets get one thing out of the way first. My computer will be defragged very soon and all will rejoice. Programs such as Myst 4 will run better, but that doesn€t make me stop and wonder why it€s not working right. Especially when it seems the problems are consistent.

I have lag problems, but what€s bizarre is that the game runs perfectly fine until it gets to certain areas and then it€s slide show time. I first noticed this after the killer introduction, everything was playing fine, I had nothing else running. I get on the elevator Tomahna and everything is running fine until the age comes into view and then it slowed down considerably, and then, poof perfectly fine. Slow down happened again for a brief moment with Yeesha and the lizard, slow down when the giant dam opens up and water pours out. It should be noted that these sequences start slow, and then speed back up to perfect quality. The most ****ing of these odd slowdowns comes when you head down to the third level on the elevator in Tomaha (goes over the water.), its slide show city, I haven€t seen that much lag for any game in a long time (It doesn€t speed back up to perfect btw). I also experienced some slowdown specifically inside the linking chamber to Spire and Haven, the scene fluctuates from being really slow to being really fast again, same problem in Achenar€s cabin in Haven. From what I can tell there is nothing really taxing on my system when I look around in these scenes, except for the prerendered purdiness.

The reason why I€m writing this down instead of shutting up and defragging my harddrive is that I have a theory on why its slowing down, but being someone without any knowledge of DVD material I was wondering if one of you guys might tell me I€m wrong. I think it has to do with material that€s not installed and running off the DVD. I didn€t do a full install, frightened by the whole 9 gig thing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif So I think that these movies or materials are running slowly off the DVD for some reason. This might explain why some live action sequences that let you move around freely work fine while others don€t. (For example the sequence talking to Atrus in the beginning runs perfectly.) Is that possible? I€m weary of having to do a full install so I want an opinion or someone to tell me to try and defrag first before sacrificing my 9 gigs.

I have a Gforce 3 ti something and my drivers are updated.

These slowdown issues I described are consistent, nothing else out of the ordinary except for those scenes slow it down.

The game rules btw
-vidiot-

maztec
10-23-2004, 08:49 PM
You're exactly right. Either get a faster DVD drive, or defrag then install all 9gigs.

I strongly recommend installing all 9gigs. You can uninstall whenever you're ready for such a thing.

Maz