PDA

View Full Version : Im changing my video card and I want your opinion

Whermacht02
07-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Hey people!! I currently own an XFX GeForce FX5500. It is a nice video card. Im prety pleased with it. But as some of you may know, the performance of this card with shaders 2.0 and shadows is really bad. Im thinking of buying an Asus N6600 TD, it has a GeForce 6600 and 256mb of ram. Im looking for your opinion, comments or any advice that may come upon your minds!!! Thnx in advance!!!

Whermacht02
07-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Hey people!! I currently own an XFX GeForce FX5500. It is a nice video card. Im prety pleased with it. But as some of you may know, the performance of this card with shaders 2.0 and shadows is really bad. Im thinking of buying an Asus N6600 TD, it has a GeForce 6600 and 256mb of ram. Im looking for your opinion, comments or any advice that may come upon your minds!!! Thnx in advance!!!

Kaleun1961
07-06-2006, 03:39 PM
If you can afford it, bumping up your RAM to at least 1 GB will make a difference in playing SH3. My system has 2 GB of RAM, but only 128 MB on my Nvidia 6600 GeForce card and runs quite well.

VikingGrandad
07-06-2006, 04:18 PM
I have 1GB of fast 'gaming' RAM (not sure how much difference it makes over ordinary RAM), plus an Nvidia 6800 256MB card. SH3 runs very smoothly, and I've definitely noriced an improvement in the lighting and other visual effects, compared to my old ATI 9800.

My motherboard is SLI, which means I can run 2 compatible graphics cards in tandem. My plan is to add a second card within the next 12 months, when the new games demand it - my theory being that this will be a simple, quick and relatively cheap upgrade.

EFileTahi-A
07-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Forget any nVidia card from families bellow series 7000. For ATI cards forget any model bellow X1000. (you have PCI-E x16 right?)

I dont't know how much are you willing to spend but if you want a middle card I strongly advise you X1600XT or nVidia 7600GT. the X1800LE is the best price/quality card at the moment and I think you can unlock the 4 pipelines from it matching then the speed of a X1800XT http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

Take also in consideration that nVidia from series 7X00 don't support HDR + Anti-Alising http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I personly Own a X1600XT (it uses a X800XT core with all state-of-the-art features). Runs Sh3 like butter, Far cry, Riddick at 1280x1024 (with AMD3500+ 64Bits)

NOTE: Some good cards like GFORCE 6800GT and ATI X850XTX are at a good price now... and are faster then my X1600XT

Yet, as Kaleun1961 suggested, you should add another 512MB of ram (at least), I would say 1.5GB of Ram as some games starts to use 1GB of ram as minimum requirement, like F.E.A.R.

However, if you want the best of the best ---> ATI1900XT

If you want to change motherboard I would advise a MOBO with crossfire capability which unlike SLI, you can have 2x diferent ATI cards connected simultaneous http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. With SLI you need equal 2x nVidia cards. All in all IMHO both SLI and Crossfire technologies suck big time, the extra ammount of speed you get by using 2x video cards ain't big enought for its cost, there are cases in which performance is even worst then having one single video card. In general these technologies grants you only about 0 to 30% of extra performance... But if monney is not a problem for you, go ahead http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

VikingGrandad
07-06-2006, 04:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EFileTahi-A:
Forget any nVidia card from families bellow series 7000. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just re-read my post... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

I don't know why I said I have a 6800 - I have a XFX 7600GT XT 256MB!! (I don't think 6800's are SLI compatible, are they?)

EFileTahi-A
07-06-2006, 04:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VikingGrandad:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EFileTahi-A:
Forget any nVidia card from families bellow series 7000. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just re-read my post... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

I don't know I said I have a 6800 - I have a XFX 7600GT XT 256MB!! (I don't think 6800's are SLI compatible, are they?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes they are my friend http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bunkerratt
07-06-2006, 06:35 PM
i have 2 gb of pc2 3200 on here with an ati x800xl 256pcie and it runs fine ..sh3 great doom3 no probs all the moh searies .. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

3.JG51_Molders
07-06-2006, 07:52 PM
I recently changed my 9550 to a BFG 7800GS AGP. For me its a wonderful card as it gives me everything I want out of a high performence card + I get to keep my motherboard (Asus A7N8X-X). It wasn't cheap though ($426 with tax when I got it in March) but for now it is the king of AGP cards. I would upgrade to PCI Express as you get a much wider range of cards + many motherboard manufactuers make boards primarily oriented to PCI E. If you think your motherboard is great and you really enjoy your system then stick with AGP. If your interested in the 7800GS, make sure you powersupply can handle it (400 w minimum with atleast 20amps on the 12+V. Make sure you also have a CPU that is atleast 2GHZ or higher otherwise the card will be bottlenecked (resulting the GPU not being fully utilized).

Realjambo
07-07-2006, 01:18 AM
Looking at your spec Whermacht02, I agree with the previous posts. You'll defintiely benefit from more ram. Everything will run faster, games will load quicker too. Remember Windows itself will eat up some ram, any background programs you have running uses it, then the game has to have it's fair share too. I'd suggest if you can afford it to get 2gb - that'll keep you going for a good year or two.

I'm guessing your current motherboard is AGP. You may be limited to which new cards you can upgrade to without upgrading your motherboard too to PCI. Most of the new NVidia cards won't be AGP, but look around first. If you can get a 6600GT instead of a 6600TD then so much the better. All the stuff about having a decent PSU too is all relevant.

The spec for my rig I built is below, and that runs the stock SH3 no problems at all

AMD 64 3000 skt 754
Asus K8V Se Deluxe Mothreboard
2gb PC3200 Ram (in two sticks)
Gigabyte 6600GT 128 ram (I want to upgrade this but am in a similar position to you I suspect, with an AGP Motherboard)

Good luck!

EFileTahi-A
07-07-2006, 02:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3.JG51_Molders:
(...)Make sure you also have a CPU that is atleast 2GHZ or higher otherwise the card will be bottlenecked (resulting the GPU not being fully utilized). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A video card works allways at 100% of its power no matter what CPU you have. The thing is that a faster CPU will speed the comunication with the rest of the computer's hardware.

When talking about interaction between a video card and CPU the processor defines how fast rendering instructions tare sent to the video card. Are you familiar with a game's Main-Loop?
It goes something like this (it's not exactly like this but eventually you will get the ideia from it):

1 - Clear the Screen (normaly with black color) - <span class="ev_code_RED">VIDEO CARD TASK</span>

2 - Compute variables (health, trajectories, x,y,z positions of all objects in the game (being extremely simplistic here) - <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">CPU TASK</span>

3 - Compute user input (Key presses, mouse, joystick etc...) - <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">CPU TASK</span>

4 - Unpakcks/Plays sound files - <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">CPU TASK</span>

5 - Computes the bunch of AI functions (normalty this is crossed with object re-position in the 3D/2D world, step 2) - <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">CPU TASK</span>

5 - Draws the graphics to some master function which will then give the order to the graphic card to draw all 3D meshes, textures, 2D sprites, Lights, etc. - <span class="ev_code_RED">VIDEO CARD TASK</span>

6 - Loop to step 1 (Once the loop finishes it haves just made a FPS).

So, the faster CPU you have the faster steps 2 to 5 will be completed, meaning that the video card will be instructed to draw graphics more often, resulting in higher FPS rate. But, if you have a slow graphic card the CPU is the one that will have to wait for step 5 to finish before restarting the loop.

You might have the faster card of the world but if you have a week CPU you might have friends of yours saying that, althought their video cards are worst then yours they play games at higher frame rates then you.

TheRealWulfmann
07-07-2006, 10:32 AM
I was wondering Vik as the 6800 as been one of the worst cards for SH3 unless it has the right drivers. The 6600 actually worls better for SH3.
IMO, upgrading to a new MoBo that is PCIex will pay for the Mobo as the VC is that much cheaper than an AGP counterpart.
With the huge drop in prices you can get from Newegg a AMD3500 for $109.00 and X850XT for $132.00 and a Mobo for under $100.00 (SLI is overrated and unnecessary because all cards are obsolete right now, all VS!!! None available will handle HD video)
Since my 3500, A8N, X850XT runs everything maxed out and what ever will come out that it won't be is down the road past every single component now available so why buy a DirX10 card that I won't ever use at Dir10X because when it comes out other factors will have made it old technology?`

I also agree you need more RAM and that is what you should do first. If you are an AGP Mobo with 3 RAM slots I would suggest you get another2 and go to 3X512. Then up the VC to the 6600 a very decent VC.

Wulfmann

cpt_Alex2006
07-07-2006, 12:05 PM
I wouldnt recomend 1536Mb ram 3x512, if the mobo can run dual channel always 2xdimms is best. 2x1gig or 2x512, then tweak the timmings.

If you get a new board/vidcard/chip/ram, will need psu hey why not soundcard its lots of dough or lots of compromise.

Why not get another stick identical ram and dual channel, oc the sempron, there is a lot of headroom you may see another 400mhz and drop an agp card in 6800 or 6600 (anything bigger will be wasted).
Also oc the vidcard and get a good performer cheap.

The rig you have isnt exactly a dinosaur or ready for the scrap heap but dont waste much money upgrading as it has a limited headroom. Best do a cheap upgrade and save for a whole new rig later on.

Alex

TheRealWulfmann
07-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Alex 3 X512 is for non dual channel.
He is not running PCIex so I assume he is running 32 bit and therefore 3 X512 is a good idea.

You are correct that one extra 512 stick for dual channel would be the right way. But, for dual channel.

Wulfmann

Whermacht02
07-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Thnx to all of you. I got some really good info out of your tips. I agree with all of you about the RAM. About a better card, that would be a little difficult becuase of the cost of computer parts here. I mean, I paid U$S 130 for the 6600TD. The problem is that those U$S130 are almost half of my monthly salary... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif
Of course I would love to have 7600GT or something like that, but it is almost impossible to buy those beasts here...
By the way. By now I have the 6600 installed on my system and it runs really smooth. Ive also noticed improvement on the framerate of SH3 but the better part is the water. Now the water reflections look awesome. I think that it has something to do with the shaders (this one supports 3.0 while the 5500 suported 2.0). I will keep on testing this beauty and will tell you how it works with other games
Thnx for all your answers!!!