PDA

View Full Version : Beaufighter is lovely. One error in pilot bailout

MoritzJGOne
12-28-2004, 11:25 PM
The pilot and rear occupant on a Beaufighter could not leave through the top canopy as the props would chew him up.

So the pilot's entry and emergency hatch was below and behind the seat. It swung forward to act as a brief wind break. The rear occupant had the same arrangement.

Check some GA's and you will see the hatches beneath. These swing forward and the crews jumpsout the bottom of the plane.

Hope to see more Beaufighter variations in PF and future 1C games.

MoritzJGOne
12-28-2004, 11:25 PM
The pilot and rear occupant on a Beaufighter could not leave through the top canopy as the props would chew him up.

So the pilot's entry and emergency hatch was below and behind the seat. It swung forward to act as a brief wind break. The rear occupant had the same arrangement.

Check some GA's and you will see the hatches beneath. These swing forward and the crews jumpsout the bottom of the plane.

Hope to see more Beaufighter variations in PF and future 1C games.

Daiichidoku
12-29-2004, 01:41 AM
Yup. I mentioned this in the Beaufighter rear gunner thread quite some time ago...

The pilots seat back would recline, allowing him to roll out the hatch....

The seat back would be down to allow entry to the cockpit

Smart Beau pilots would ensure the seat back locks were secure before take off, or face a possible nasty shock on take off!

Aaron_GT
12-29-2004, 12:08 PM
"The pilots seat back would recline, allowing him to roll out the hatch...."

Reminds me of Thunderbirds!

Mulleteer
12-30-2004, 08:07 AM
I always wondered how lazy they were. It seemed that their world were build so that they would never have to take a single step. Of course, later I realised it was to avoid animation work.