PDA

View Full Version : Some IMC Questions

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 11:46 PM
S!

I would appreciate some solid advice on a few apparently disconnected questions.

1. Level Stabiliser. There is frequently a slight residual climb or descent with L/S engaged. Is there any means in the programme to correct this? I was hoping the patch would fix it but as it has not...?
2. Can anyone tell me the exact size of the map grids in km please?
3. Can anyone give me a definitive answer to if compass Variation has been modelled?
4. In some of the weather options there is wind. Has anyone done research on wind speed and direction, whether this changes with height etc in the programme?
5. Even in the 'worst' weather option there is a disappointing lack of cloud. Is there any tricks to entice more cloud out of the programme? Ideally I would like layers of 8/8ths St. Cu. 1000 mtrs thick.
6. Any URLs for research in the above areas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

WTE_CAVOK

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 11:46 PM
S!

I would appreciate some solid advice on a few apparently disconnected questions.

1. Level Stabiliser. There is frequently a slight residual climb or descent with L/S engaged. Is there any means in the programme to correct this? I was hoping the patch would fix it but as it has not...?
2. Can anyone tell me the exact size of the map grids in km please?
3. Can anyone give me a definitive answer to if compass Variation has been modelled?
4. In some of the weather options there is wind. Has anyone done research on wind speed and direction, whether this changes with height etc in the programme?
5. Even in the 'worst' weather option there is a disappointing lack of cloud. Is there any tricks to entice more cloud out of the programme? Ideally I would like layers of 8/8ths St. Cu. 1000 mtrs thick.
6. Any URLs for research in the above areas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

WTE_CAVOK

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 07:23 AM
First time I have ever had to bump anything!

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 07:47 AM
You should have said the Jug is overmodeled /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

No1RAAF_Pourshot

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~andycarroll68/CAC-15.jpg

How many people think this is a p-51/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 02:05 PM
WTE_CAVOK wrote:

- 4. In some of the weather options there is wind.
- Has anyone done research on wind speed and
- direction, whether this changes with height etc in
- the programme?

No wind at altitude, I think above 300 m or so. Crying shame. Not like we have weather briefings telling us the winds anyway. Nor windsocks... who could create a simulator with wind and not include wind socks?

Not even the bleepin' barrage balloons will align with the wind. Can it get more messed up than seeing one of those with the tail pointed INTO the wind?

- 5. Even in the 'worst' weather option there is a
- disappointing lack of cloud. Is there any tricks to
- entice more cloud out of the programme? Ideally I
- would like layers of 8/8ths St. Cu. 1000 mtrs thick.

The weather is crap and bears little resemblance to what goes on in the real world. And it does not seem anyone carrying any clout cares.

Cheers,
Fred

No sig as of now, as people apparently can't handle reality without creating too much trouble for the poor mods.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 10:43 PM
S!

Tks for what you gave Effte, every bit helps.

I was beginning to think this formum was strictly for real hard stuff like what is wrong with the FW190 and Thunderbolt etc.

Yup - agree totally with your wx opinion. After 4000 hours in the real stuff it is a bit of a yawn.

But my questions were not an indirect plea for realism - just what is actually there as there are a few things I want to develop which will help bomber fans.

CAV

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 12:42 AM
CAV, can't help you much with level stabilizer. It took me forever to find it, and I've never been much of a bomber pilot so haven't used it much. Others' comments indicate that the climb or decent will always be there, though you might try correcting with the stick. Pitch control may still be effective, though roll should not.
At maximum zoom, each map square is 1 km, zooming out eventually gives you 10 km squares. Other than that, all I can offer is to count squares. The Leningrad/Helsinki map is the largest.
I don't believe mag var is modeled, but since most missions are over relatively short distances, it's not really a factor. Never having flown over most of the terrain in question IRL, I'm not even sure what the actual magnetic variation for the region is. Most navigation for those who want to practice it with minimap path off is of the "clock to map to ground" variety (i.e. contact nav.)
Weather is kind of a dissapointment. Wind and turbulence cut out about 250-300 m AGL, clouds never seem to be more than about 3/8ths coverage, rain is independent of clouds (as is lightning), and none of it affects the AI. There is no way I know of to enhance these weather effects. I usually fly with them deselected, as I don't like handicapping myself against the AI (if I did, I could save myself a lot of money on top end hardware by simply flying with the monitor unplugged. It would have the same net effect as weather.) I don't fly online, but I believe weather is a player there, and affects everyone.
From the screenshots of LOMAC, it appears they have a better weather engine in that sim, with solid layers, rain etc. I don't know how much horsepower running all that will take, nor how customizable it will be. And it is of course a jet sim, too.

Blotto

"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter craft, no matter how technically advanced." - A. Galland

"Look, do you want the jets, or would you rather I slap the props back on?" - W. Messerschmitt

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 12:47 AM
trim effects the level stabilizer, it just reacts slower

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 03:21 AM
S!

Tks guys - Like I said - every bit helps and that gives me some lines to check up on.

I cannot be the only maniac around here who wants dead accurate D/R IFR our of FB - or am I?

Tks again

CAV