PDA

View Full Version : Ranked is broken

P0G0_
11-24-2018, 06:12 AM
The ranking system in master to grand master is broken why is that that from a win you only get +40-60 points but from a loss you get -300+ that doesn't make any sense. It should be the same score as two wins. Win 1 get +50, lose one get -100 keep it consistent. The numbers for what score you get after winning are completely random. the only thing set in stone is if you beat a bot or the player leaves its a guaranteed 175 points which makes no sense. Bots are easy to beat but yet you get almost 3x the amount for playing and winning against a good player. Let me know what you guys think of this and if something should be done about the ranking system

Tyrjo
11-24-2018, 08:21 AM
I don't even attempt to play ranked because it's a torturing experience. I'd rather walk barefoot on broken glass than play ranked in its current state.

Herbstlicht
11-24-2018, 10:19 AM
Imagine how it is on Console. On PC, you have a little less players overall. Then ranked is split across regions. On console, ranked means playing the whole world. If you ascend in ranked, the likelyhood of playing people with a 200 plus ping is .. not unlikely, If you loose a lag-game then and loose this much rank .. ah well, need I continue? Not saying ranked is overall a bad experience. And until diamond (I am there currently) its actually ok'ish still because you get opponents from your region and can play some of the weaker heroes as well. But - at least on console - if you leave this bracket, your best bet is light spam and stuff that will be pretty much unreactable due to bad connections as well as spammy.

CSaunders95
11-24-2018, 10:49 AM
I'm in master rank, although firmly at the bottom end of it. Its simple mate, it's not broken.

If the player your fighting is higher than you or equal on the leaderboard then you get more points for the win as the fight should have been tough for you.

If they're lower skill rank or lower master rating than you, then in theory the fight should be in your favour and should be an easy win for you. Hence the reward is far smaller for the win.

Completely makes sense mate, not broken, you just lack common sense.

Also to the other bloke, high pings pretty rare in ranked duel. If it isn't for you, you might want to check your own connection.

Tyrjo
11-24-2018, 04:54 PM
I'm in master rank, although firmly at the bottom end of it. Its simple mate, it's not broken.

If the player your fighting is higher than you or equal on the leaderboard then you get more points for the win as the fight should have been tough for you.

If they're lower skill rank or lower master rating than you, then in theory the fight should be in your favour and should be an easy win for you. Hence the reward is far smaller for the win.

Completely makes sense mate, not broken, you just lack common sense.

Also to the other bloke, high pings pretty rare in ranked duel. If it isn't for you, you might want to check your own connection.

The problem with your reasoning is that the formula doesn't take match ups into account. Some heroes have ****ty match ups vs other heroes. Even if your skill is slightly better than your opponent's, the match up can edge the game out of your favor.

CSaunders95
11-24-2018, 07:05 PM
The problem with your reasoning is that the formula doesn't take match ups into account. Some heroes have ****ty match ups vs other heroes. Even if your skill is slightly better than your opponent's, the match up can edge the game out of your favor.

And why would it? Every character can beat every character. Some just have better tools to counter certain characters.
You do not know what your opposition is picking and vice versa so you on a level playing field.

How can the game possibly match characters? Why would it stop you playing against certain characters because you picked someone. Who would decide which to allow you to fight and which not.

You talking rubbish.

UbiInsulin
11-24-2018, 08:10 PM
The ranking system in master to grand master is broken why is that that from a win you only get +40-60 points but from a loss you get -300+ that doesn't make any sense. It should be the same score as two wins. Win 1 get +50, lose one get -100 keep it consistent. The numbers for what score you get after winning are completely random. the only thing set in stone is if you beat a bot or the player leaves its a guaranteed 175 points which makes no sense. Bots are easy to beat but yet you get almost 3x the amount for playing and winning against a good player. Let me know what you guys think of this and if something should be done about the ranking system

If you lose to a player that has a significantly lower skill rating than you, then it has a correspondingly large effect. If you beat a player considered similar to you, it's not going to move the needle much. As far as I know, that's how ranked systems typically work in games.

Tyrjo
11-25-2018, 11:10 AM
And why would it? Every character can beat every character. Some just have better tools to counter certain characters.
You do not know what your opposition is picking and vice versa so you on a level playing field.

How can the game possibly match characters? Why would it stop you playing against certain characters because you picked someone. Who would decide which to allow you to fight and which not.

You talking rubbish.

Stop straw manning. I didn't say the game should match characters, I said the formula doesn't take MU into account. You bent over backwards beating that Conqueror as a Lawbringer, yet the game thinks your skill is equal. It's not. You lost against a ****ty player playing Conqueror while playing as Lawbringer, yet the game thinks your skills are equal. It's not.

iAurelia
11-25-2018, 01:37 PM
If you lose to a player that has a significantly lower skill rating than you, then it has a correspondingly large effect. If you beat a player considered similar to you, it's not going to move the needle much. As far as I know, that's how ranked systems typically work in games.

I am diamond 4 on console
How come that every single time I beat player that has same division as me, I gain only 1% MAX.. never more, unless they ragequit, then I gain like 16%, sometimes I get even 0% for win.
But when I lose, regardless to what rank, I instantly drop 50-70% down.

P0G0_
11-25-2018, 09:55 PM
This is the stuff im talking about. Getting a significant drop in rank for losing but only gaining a small percentage of points/rank for winning. If im not mistaken Diamond and up is around top 2% of players. Something around there and while rn on Xbox it is not the hardest to find a match with the same rank I often find more diamond V's than masters. Having a constant increase or decrease would make ranked a lot more fair and people wouldn't be scared to hop on and play. In my opinion the players rank at this level doesn't mean anything. They could be a diamond V and I could be a GrandMaster but they could be way way way better than me. It's happened before. I don't get mad for losing because the player was better than me, he mixed me up and I lost fair and square. I get mad at the fact that I lose way too many points for a loss of someone with equal to greater skill level than me that just happens to have a lower rank.