PDA

View Full Version : Are the Assassin's Anti Religious or do they only hate Tempars Religious or not?

LeapofFaith33
11-20-2010, 09:14 PM
So when I sent my assassins in AC:B to go kill a gaurd for the first time, on of them stayed for a minute and folded his hands like he was praying and said something like "RIP." or "May god have mercy on you" or something religiously. So are the assassins anti-religion or are they catholic and just fighting catholic templars too?

Also i know they have this tread but what would your assassination saying be? like "Rest in Peace." -Ezio

mine would be "Death is always sorrowful. I know someone, somewhere, will mourn yours."

LeapofFaith33
11-20-2010, 09:14 PM
So when I sent my assassins in AC:B to go kill a gaurd for the first time, on of them stayed for a minute and folded his hands like he was praying and said something like "RIP." or "May god have mercy on you" or something religiously. So are the assassins anti-religion or are they catholic and just fighting catholic templars too?

Also i know they have this tread but what would your assassination saying be? like "Rest in Peace." -Ezio

mine would be "Death is always sorrowful. I know someone, somewhere, will mourn yours."

GREAZY_FINGAZZ
11-20-2010, 09:18 PM
"I just killed you, sorry"

flyingeaglemile
11-20-2010, 09:23 PM
OWNED

Desm0ndmiles
11-20-2010, 09:27 PM
I just stabbed your face.

DarkicoN14
11-20-2010, 09:34 PM
I am truly sorry but i see no other way

Radman500
11-20-2010, 09:36 PM
i wouldn't say there anti-religious.. but you see the assassins order fight to ensure the surival of free will, they fight for men to have a free mind, open mind... the templars fight for control.. they want to control everybody, they want to control the world... and they use religion as a source for control

TooLazy4Name
11-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Gosh Golly Gee, You Just Got Deaded.

E-Zekiel
11-20-2010, 09:48 PM
This is not an easy choice I make.

notafanboy
11-21-2010, 05:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LeapofFaith33:

mine would be "Death is always sorrowful. I know someone, somewhere, will mourn yours." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
no he folded his hands to thank ezio .

katz_bg
11-21-2010, 05:43 AM
Both Assassins and Templars have their own belief systems.
And as you well know all religions are mutually exclusive. You can only have one if any.
However in the interest of blending in they often pretend to be of the local dominant religion

BK-110
11-21-2010, 07:12 AM
They're against organized religion, as Alta´r's codex pretty much made clear. They fight for knowledge and free will instead of control and deception.

superbalex
11-21-2010, 07:20 AM
the assassins are not anit religious or anything.. like radman500 said, they fight for containing free will.
their actions is from what ezio teaches them, and their simply showing respect for their victims instead of going like "die you templar piece of s***" they say fx "requiescat in pace" like ezio does it,just to show respect ;P
proof, look at the scene where ezio kills vieri in ac2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif he's also mad and yells at him and vieri is already dead. then Marion teaches ezio to show some respect

dlonewolf1994
11-21-2010, 07:25 AM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL i stabbed u &lt;3

MPSai
11-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Since the Assassins believe "nothing is true, everything is permitted" I don't think they'd be religious in the orthodox sense. Each of them have their own ritual when killing. If you read the codexes Altair became disillusioned with any spiritual beliefs at all, so it may depend on the person.

Though the Templars are tied up with the Church, which during the time period these games take place did wage wars and coerce control. This isn't something that can be denied historically. So if it seems like the Church is being depicted as villainous well... it kind of was.

E-Zekiel
11-21-2010, 09:50 AM
I believe it varies from assassin to assassin. Some believe in a God, some do not. But they truly embrace that creed - "Nothing is true, everything is permitted." You could say they are agnostic - that is my belief. They can suspect there is a god, it is the only explanation for a few things, but simultaneously, there is no proof for it. Any beliefs that seem too detailed they don't really follow. As Malik put it "You can never KNOW anything. Only suspect." So say, following a bible, qor'an, etc doesn't generally seem the norm because they take some things for fact that we can never truly know.

With that said, the only reason the templars had such deep ties in religion was because it was used to control. For a very, very long time throughout history, use of religion, and fear of condemnation by God was easily used to control people. If you know your history, you know that it was commonplace for the pope to actually be more powerful than any king, despite the king's status of being at the "top". The reason for this is that the pope is considered the voice of God, and if he says God doesn't like the king, well the king is screwed.

In the 18th century (read: 1700's), with Adam Smith becoming essentially the father of capitalism, people began to move away from the worship of God so much, and became much more individualistic. He himself is implicated as a templar in AC:B. He wrote several texts that essentially were the foundation of modern day economics (most closely in America). He is best known for writing "The Wealth of Nations". You can look that up to learn more. The templars systematically began to transition their control of people from worship of God into the worship of money, and that is how they control things today. Just look at the past two years. Have you ever seen society become so greedy and out for themselves? Defending the rich in the name of perceived freedom of the market, despite their status as workers (slaves)? We have become a society of fanatics - it actually fits with the modern day. This same fanaticism is how the templars controlled things formerly, only now instead of religious fanaticism, it's greed misinterpreted as defending "freedom".

So really, as societies, neither faction really embraces religion. Templars embrace control in any form they can get it from - religion or not. Assassins embrace the belief that nothing is true, and everything is permitted. There may be a God, or there may not be. We can never truly know. So that will come down to individual perception.

I got the impression that Altair believed in a God, but not in any interpretation of him written by man. I get the same impression from Ezio, though supposedly someone said it was confirmed he's an atheist (I am skeptical that he ever directly said THERE IS NO GOD, someone likely just took something he said for more than it was.)

I do, however, believe that Desmond was an atheist, mostly out of spite to his raising because he didn't want to be like the rest. Through his new experiences and new knowledge of the assassin beliefs however, I do think he has shifted toward agnosticism, though it has not been specifically said in game and it likely never will. It's sort of an internal change that a person wouldn't really talk about unless asked, and I don't see why anyone would ask.

RipYourSpineOut
11-21-2010, 09:54 AM
I believe the Assassin order is, for the most part non-religious (more spiritual.) I think some of the Assassins might believe in God, but a majority are in the gray area inbetween. The assassins have the same goals as the Templars, to create peace in the world, it's just the way that the Templars go on doing it (brainwashing everyone into following their order) that upsets the Assassins http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

But then of course, I could be completely wrong http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Radman500
11-21-2010, 10:01 AM
i dont think ezio believes in god after discovering minerva in the vault.. but i think some assassins from different countries, that have not found out abot the TWCB.. are either religious or atheist

E-Zekiel
11-21-2010, 10:05 AM
People really forget about agnosticism, lol. I really really really doubt that assassins are atheist, because you can't KNOW that there isn't a God. But you also can't know that there IS a God.

All that Minerva and those that come before tells us is that all modern day religions are pretty much wrong.

Radman500
11-21-2010, 10:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E-Zekiel:
People really forget about agnosticism, lol. I really really really doubt that assassins are atheist, because you can't KNOW that there isn't a God. But you also can't know that there IS a God.

All that Minerva and those that come before tells us is that all modern day religions are pretty much wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> which is why i believe ezio and the other assassins should tell italy the truth about "the ones that came before" i mean the assassins fight for knowledge, free minds, free will... yet they wont tell all of italy the truth about minerva etc. etc.

obliviondoll
11-21-2010, 10:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BK-110:
They're against organized religion, as Alta´r's codex pretty much made clear. They fight for knowledge and free will instead of control and deception. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This.

Assassins don't agree with any organised system of faith, whether it comes from, or is controlled by, the Templars or anyone else.

Their more "religious" sounding comments are either derived from their catholic background or an expression of their regret at having to kill someone.

BloodyMoon1
11-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Templars don't believe in god. A point they made very strongly in AC1. Although the Assassin's do seem to believe in god, that's not why they fight the Templars.

Marco_red
11-22-2010, 02:05 PM
The assassin's are not anti religious but they have to live up to the creed.

"Where other men blindly follow the truth, remember: Nothing is true.

Where other men are limited by morality and law, remember: Everything is permitted."

If you have played ac1 en ac2 you should understand it. In ac1 altair was the top assassin but didn't understand the creed and lost his rank and reputation. Only at the end of the game did he fully understand it and became the great assassin.