PDA

View Full Version : PSA about hit stun effecting parrying

Knight_Raime
11-21-2018, 03:10 AM
So parrying is a 200ms window regardless of what attack is being thrown at you. The only time this every changes is during OOS of your opponent when they throw an attack. this lengthens the window to 400ms. However it seems hitstun also effects the window. Hit stun is referring to when you actually get hit or block a heavy. In the case of hit stun if the follow up attack on you is a buffered attack (meaning input during another attack animation) the parry window is actually SHORTER. This is not the case of delayed attacks however as the hit stun animation is farther along when the delayed attack comes out.

The problem here is that the parry flicker indicator DOES NOT change in the buffered example. Thus players are getting the false impression on when to actually attempt to parry something if they only go off of indicators. However this is not consistent either. Sometimes the parry indicator doesn't show itself at all despite an attack being parryable. Basically in short the indicators are not always working properly.

Here is a video from FreezeYT explaining/showcasing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A-kEUpN4oI

UBI please fix.

DefiledDragon
11-21-2018, 03:18 AM
I watched that video too and wouldn't mind some clarification with regard to the shorter window on delayed followups. Is this intended, or is it an "undocumented feature"? All these undocumented inconsistencies worry me tbh. I knew the game had issues at the design level but it also looks like it has some pretty serious issues on the technical implementation level too and that's really not good.

Knight_Raime
11-21-2018, 04:11 AM
I watched that video too and wouldn't mind some clarification with regard to the shorter window on delayed followups. Is this intended, or is it an "undocumented feature"? All these undocumented inconsistencies worry me tbh. I knew the game had issues at the design level but it also looks like it has some pretty serious issues on the technical implementation level too and that's really not good.

The parry window isn't shorter after hit stun if the opponent delays their attack properly.
The parry window is only shorter after hitstun if the person buffers their hit.

I assume that when/if the buffered bug is fixed that this interaction of having a shorter window will remain. As the only reason the delayed version isn't having this effect isn't because of the speed difference but rather you're simply just doing the attack later along in the hit stun animation.

It would still be possible to have both interactions post buffer bug fix.

Tyrjo
11-21-2018, 08:15 AM
Finally I understand why I never can parry those chained 400ms lights after having gotten hit once. -.-

Knight_Raime
11-21-2018, 09:09 AM
Finally I understand why I never can parry those chained 400ms lights after having gotten hit once. -.-

I think the idea of hit stun shortening the parry window on buffered attacks is fine. They just need to fix the indicator so people don't get the wrong idea and try to parry when they actually can't.

Devils-_-legacy
11-21-2018, 04:01 PM
I think the idea of hit stun shortening the parry window on buffered attacks is fine. They just need to fix the indicator so people don't get the wrong idea and try to parry when they actually can't.
Thanks raime
I assumed it was a bug and reported either last season or the season before. I can't understand if this was intentional or not to have two diffrent parry windows. I never got a proper awnser from support?
Other then we will pass other on the the team to investigate.

Knight_Raime
11-22-2018, 02:36 AM
Thanks raime
I assumed it was a bug and reported either last season or the season before. I can't understand if this was intentional or not to have two diffrent parry windows. I never got a proper awnser from support?
Other then we will pass other on the the team to investigate.

It more than likely probably isn't. I don't think half the things that people discover are actually intended by the devs. And are usually just happy accidents if they turn out to be good for the game.
But yes a straight answer would be nice.

Devils-_-legacy
11-22-2018, 05:27 PM
It more than likely probably isn't. I don't think half the things that people discover are actually intended by the devs. And are usually just happy accidents if they turn out to be good for the game.
But yes a straight answer would be nice.

Its kind of worrying tho but if it isn't intended I'd like to know if they could tweak it to become a feature for heavys having a smaller window of parrying