PDA

View Full Version : 400ms light testing and latency

CRIMS0NM0NKEY
11-21-2018, 01:29 AM
Does the characters attack speed have to be static or can ubi make it adjust to latency so it's consistent?

DefiledDragon
11-21-2018, 01:51 AM
The attack speed doesn't change, it's just that when the attacker initiates it, they see it X ms before you do, depending on ping and the server arbitrates whether you were hit, or defended the attack. Once the server decides what happened, it tells both clients, even if it's after the client machine has played out the animation. This is why you'll sometimes throw an attack, see and hear it connect on your cilent, then the server will say actually no, your opponent blocked that and you'll hear the block sound and the player get their health back and possibly already be counter attacking depending on how bad the lag actually is. Lag compensation can mitigate this somewhat, but it can only do so much. If your fighting somebody with a particularly high ping, you're going to feel it regardless of any lag compensation. It's just the nature of online gaming I'm afraid.

The_B0G_
11-21-2018, 04:22 PM
It's much more obvious to see in games like these, shooters typically hide this very well, but in pvp sports and fighting games I've noticed this makes a huge difference in the quality of your experience, because you always have to see exactly what the other player is doing and exactly when he is doing it.

The weaker your connection, the harder the game becomes.

CRIMS0NM0NKEY
11-21-2018, 05:16 PM
So these tournaments that ubi is basing 400 ms lights off of do they include latency?

The_B0G_
11-21-2018, 05:34 PM
That's a good question, I don't follow or watch them so I have no idea what they do.

DefiledDragon
11-22-2018, 11:16 AM
So these tournaments that ubi is basing 400 ms lights off of do they include latency?

Organised tournaments usually implement local multiplayer so lag isn't normally a factor. Other fighting games are equally susceptible to poor connectivity and are equally frustrating to play with a poor connection to your opponent. This isn't unique to FH.

Knight_Raime
11-22-2018, 02:22 PM

Tournaments unless they're world wide/anyone can participate are held with LAN. So there would be no latency.