PDA

View Full Version : Post for thought: Developers

SixAxe505
11-20-2018, 02:10 AM
I don't pretend to know how to balance your game devs, but as a long time gamer; I do have some insight I would like to share with you.

1. In your quest to differentiate yourselves from the fighting game genre as a whole, you have left out quite a few important things. All of these things come down to standardized elements that each hero should share. I believe we can't talk balance in a game where all heroes don't abide by the same rules. By balancing out the rules between them can you then make the changes for real balance.

Health/Stamina: All heroes should share the same health pool and stamina pool in a competitive envrionment. Movesets and quirks should be the only thing that varies between them.

Type of attacks: Every hero does not need the same attacks, but every type of attack should be available to all heroes. For example: Dodge attacks, Bashes, Soft-feints, dodge-guardbreaks...etc. The reason is to give each hero the same defensive capabilities to respond to a given scenario. It expands the movesets and balances the field.

Guard-type: Blocking is a fundamental feature in fighters. In no other fighter is blocking exclusive than this one. Static guards are much too favorable vs decay guards. You need to make one the standard. Either every one gets static, or everyone gets reflex. This is very important, because those with reflex get put in situations where they can do nothing to stop incoming damage, but if they had a static they could have.

This is all actually. I know Individual characters and their moves need looking at, but from a general perspective these core things should be equalized across the cast. It would be the first step towards real balance. If this is done, you get a much more definite look at win ratios and who is strong or not. If everyone operates under the same rules then we can say that a certain move is too strong/weak after all.

DefiledDragon
11-20-2018, 02:20 AM
I don't know any other fighting game that works like that. Some characters, Zangief for example, have a bigger health pool than others. Some have projectile attacks, Guile, Ryu, Ken, Akuma etc... while others don't. Some characters have very powerful command throws, Tina, Ryu Hayabusa, Bass, while others don't. Some have fast strings of numerous low damage attacks while others have shorter strings of heavy, high damage attacks. Variety makes characters different and makes the game interesting. Viability makes them usable and maintains fairness (balance). It's this delicate balance that's so difficult to achieve. FH has the variety, but certain characters lack viability.

They could address balance in the way that you suggest, but it would make the game bland and uninteresting as a result in my opinion.

DefiledDragon
11-20-2018, 02:21 AM
I do agree with you on giving everyone a reflex guard however.

DefiledDragon
11-20-2018, 02:35 AM
Actually, just thinking about it, the one common theme among other fighting games is that they all offer a way to land guaranteed strings of attacks against your opponent. Be they juggles, hit stun combo's, special cancels or whatever. In fact I'm struggling to think of a single fighting game (apart from FH and Fight Night) that doesn't have a mechanism that allows you to land a guaranteed string of attacks against your opponent in one form or another.

Now, I'm not saying that this is why FH isn't balanced, as such, but when it's difficult to open up your opponent (as it is in most fighting games), the rewards for doing so are much higher in other games than they are in FH as you often have the ability to land a string of attacks for a considerable amount of damage.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that something like Raiders 3 heavy string should be guaranteed if the first one lands, but maybe reworking the mechanics and each characters chains around this philosophy and making it that follow up attacks in the chain have to be timed precisely, as they do in other games, in order to be guaranteed would provide the tools to better balance the game while keeping it feeling fair and balanced at lower levels of play.

I've had a lot of ideas about how to balance the game while keeping it engaging and entertaining for new and high level players alike, but I think it's all pretty pointless. Ubi seem determined to tweak here and there. I believe the mechanics need a complete rework. I don't think that's ever going to happen.