PDA

View Full Version : PF dogfighting help

Stix243
01-02-2006, 03:10 PM
After a long (18 month) absence from FB i recently bought PF and have a merged + patched version running sweet. Only problem is i'm flying like a brick and might as well been shooting spitballs!.

I'm not a complete rookie pilot, i can take off and land from carriers use CEM, trim and know basic ACM. Still in my last 20+ hours of online dogfighting i have not had a single A to A kill.

My dogfighting and aerial gunnery skills are obviously non-existant.

Does anyone have any hints/tips ideas for me to improve this?

I seem to have 2 major problems, the first being in a turning fight, i enter the fight with more E, manouever for a min or 2 before i get blown out of the sky (Flying many different aircraft mainly 109 and spit variants). My second problem is when within gun range i don't seem to be able to control my plane well enough for aiming. Even flying against drone B-25's i find my nose "bounces" alot with small pitch and roll adjustments (I have altered my joystick sensitivity, from memory they are around 1 5 12 20 etc).

My hit rate 18 months ago with FB was >25%,
does anyone have any advice for me?

Stix243
01-02-2006, 03:10 PM
After a long (18 month) absence from FB i recently bought PF and have a merged + patched version running sweet. Only problem is i'm flying like a brick and might as well been shooting spitballs!.

I'm not a complete rookie pilot, i can take off and land from carriers use CEM, trim and know basic ACM. Still in my last 20+ hours of online dogfighting i have not had a single A to A kill.

I seem to have 2 major problems, the first being in a turning fight, i enter the fight with more E, manouever for a min or 2 before i get blown out of the sky (Flying many different aircraft mainly 109 and spit variants). My second problem is when within gun range i don't seem to be able to control my plane well enough for aiming. Even flying against drone B-25's i find my nose "bounces" alot with small pitch and roll adjustments (I have altered my joystick sensitivity, from memory they are around 1 5 12 20 etc).

My hit rate 18 months ago with FB was >25%,
does anyone have any advice for me?

VW-IceFire
01-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Sounds like you've got the wobble bug. There's a variety of voodoo like solutions.

I had to reinstall the game for it to work for me. Actually a full reformat seems to have made it go away too. Its a real pain to shake...some haven't managed to shake it yet.

Sadly not everyone has or believes that this bug exists so you'll run into some problems trying to solve it. I'll try and remember what solutions were and return later...

One point to make would be that the newer flight models are more sophisticated than what you were flying 18 months ago. Torque is more realistic and so are many other elements...stalls are more dynamic rather than scripted pieces of flight model. Bugged or not (maybe you aren't...hard to say) its harder than before to be a competent sharpshooter.

Try the usual things...get in close, use proper convergence settings on your guns, and so on.

vanjast
01-02-2006, 05:27 PM
As has been said, the FM is out of this world. Be gentle with the stick and rudder. You'll be lucky to keep your sight on target for even half-a-second. You now have to shoot 'on-the-fly' and hope you hit something serious
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Dash_C.
01-02-2006, 06:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Sounds like you've got the wobble bug. There's a variety of voodoo like solutions.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So um...how exactly does one find out if one has the wobble bug?

zoinksu52
01-02-2006, 08:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dash_C.:

So um...how exactly does one find out if one has the wobble bug? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

when you can never shoot down anything. i must have it.

PERSEUS1953
01-02-2006, 11:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stix243:

My hit rate 18 months ago with FB was &gt;25%,
does anyone have any advice for me? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

download "Warbirds"--the graphics are not nearly as good as IL2 but they do provide good excercises on how to shoot that can be translated to Il2.

Per Ardua Ad Astra!!

Stix243
01-02-2006, 11:28 PM
I've got a copy of warbirds somewhere, i might load it up for a look, can't hurt any, cheers.

FluffyDucks
01-03-2006, 04:05 AM
You may have the wobble bug or "Oingo-Boingo" effect, for some cures see this thread at SimHQ, unfortunately there are some twa-ts on it that refuse to beleive it exists, so you will have to filter out their bs to get to the (several) fixes which may or not work for you. There are THIRTEEN pages of it btw most as I say taken up by several assclowns that simply refuse to accept it exists.

http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=144;t=001612;p=1

Stix243
01-03-2006, 06:05 AM
FIXED IT!!!

From my reading on the matter (there has been a lot) the "wobble-bug" seems to occur primarily on Pentium based machines (which mine is).

The simple is fix is this rename the il2coreP4.dll as X.backup, then renaming il2core.dll as il2coreP4.dll

Drinks all round boys!!!

Hoatee
01-04-2006, 07:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dash_C.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So um...how exactly does one find out if one has the wobble bug? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 'wobble bug' sounds familiar. Now where did I hear of this before?

tonedog2005
01-05-2006, 04:20 AM
isnt this wobble issue just part of the realsitc FM? could it be wind gusts? i tend to find its worse the lower u r.

we're not flyin modern jet fighters as u know, but light crates sometimes mad just of wood

Hurricane_320
01-05-2006, 04:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stix243:
FIXED IT!!!

From my reading on the matter (there has been a lot) the "wobble-bug" seems to occur primarily on Pentium based machines (which mine is).

The simple is fix is this rename the il2coreP4.dll as X.backup, then renaming il2core.dll as il2coreP4.dll

Drinks all round boys!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have an AMD Athlon 64 processor, but still have the "oingo-boingo effect". Will however try your miracle cure. Will see if it works!

Stix243
01-05-2006, 07:18 AM
It is a simple fix and made a huge difference for me. I have read of a few AMD suffers, try it, ya got nothing to loose.

My gun accuracy has gone from 1-2% to 10-15% still a lot lower than what i would have with straight FB but that i will attribute to the new flight models.

Hurricane_320
01-06-2006, 01:56 PM
My gun accuracy has gone from 1-2% to 10-15% still a lot lower than what i would have with straight FB but that i will attribute to the new flight models. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1-2%? My God, I get 0.0000000001 percent in fighters and about 0.5 percent in bombers (the ai gunners)!

KrashanTopolova
01-06-2006, 05:05 PM
borrow a manual of aerobatics...every pilot should be able to comfortably handle a slow 4-point roll (one of the harder aerobatic manouvres) and must experience how to shoot on deflection (the deflection angle can be wider than thought). With these skills gained (or regained in your case) a pilot can shoot down an ME-262 in an Il-2 with a good combat turn or inverted dive.

WWIIOL_toof
01-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Il-2's been bumpy/jumpy for me since the day I installed it (FB).
I always figured it was a mean and unforgiving FM or propwash from the enemy fighter.

I went from X-52 to CH Combatstick and have conquered the jumpies.

voyager_663rd
01-07-2006, 09:03 PM
I've posted this elsewhere but here it is for you:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I use the default settings with no problems. HOWEVER, if you are experiencing the bouncy up/down can't shoot a darn thing, make sure that in the config.ini file, the z line ends in a 0 (all three should: x y and z) but with the latest patch for whatever reason the z axis ended in 100 instead of 100 0.

[rts_joystick]
X=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Y=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Z=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0 &lt;---
RZ=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
FF=0
U=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
V=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bearcat99
01-07-2006, 10:09 PM
I recomend the following after you make sure your stick is functioning properly. IMO these files are absolutely essential and would enhance the simming of even the most seasoned flight sim veteran if he didnt already have them. There are dozens of others that are great as well.. but these are the cream IMO.

In Pursuit: An Online Pilot's Guide to Aerial Combat (http://web.comhem.se/~u85627360/)
Neural Dreaml's Aircraft Reference Guide (http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm#001)
Hardball's Aircraft Viewer (http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm#014) an online version of the guide basically.. both are very good.
<span class="ev_code_yellow">U</span>ber <span class="ev_code_yellow">Q</span>uick <span class="ev_code_yellow">M </span>ission<span class="ev_code_yellow">G</span>enerator (http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm#043) - This tool will help you to create more diverse quick missions to practice with. It comes with an extensive help file and is pretty easy to use once you doit a few times.
Fraps (http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm#010)- A quick and easy way to measure your frames per second
IL2 Manager 5.0 (http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm#022) This utility will allow you to make certain adjustments within the config file.. like graphics setting etc. on a gui. While it is highly recommended that you learn where these things are in the config file, once you know that... easy and quick is the way to go. It also has a stick editor which will allow you to set up different profiles for your joystick sensitivity settings like the oes mentioned above.
IL2 Stab (http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm#024) Similar to IL2 Manager but without the stick editor and with a Diary feature.
VAC (http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm#047)- <span class="ev_code_yellow">V</span>oice <span class="ev_code_yellow">A</span>ctvated<span class="ev_code_yellow">C</span>ommands - This utility is very similar to SHOOT.. it allows you to interact with your PCand thus the sim with voice commands. Very usefull in coops. A bit tricky.. but a good program.
COOP Generator (http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm#005) - A random COOP genrator. I have yet to use it but it looks interesting.
Sniper's Corner (http://ourworld.cs.com/Abra772/SC_2_Eng.zip) a nice utility to help get the angles aspect of A2A gunnery in your head - Gunnery at AW.C (http://www.airwarfare.com/tactics/tactics_fwgunnery.htm)-A good explenation of the tool and what is does. Also this entire section at AW.C is a really good resource.

spitfire22287
01-08-2006, 08:32 PM
For all the naysayers out there, here's another supporter of this fix. It seems I also had the "wobble bug" with my P4 machine. When I lined up on a target to shoot, my bullets would spray around as the nose bounced everywhere, hardly having converging destructive strength to do damage if I managed to hit the target at all. Now, I tried this fix, and suddenly everything seems much more calm. I am now able to hold the gunsight steady as I bring my guns to bear on a target, and now I am getting much more damage on my opponents from my fire. Of course, there is still some normal gyrations from my stick input and gun recoil, but not nearly as ridiculous as before. I used to be amazed at seeing other pilots blow planes to bits, cut off wings and tails, or catch the plane on fire. Now, I am also one of them, doing the same. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif Even my ground pounding seems to have improved. I knew I wasnt that bad of a pilot... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Thank you! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Stix243
01-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Spitfire, i'm glad it helped! I wonder how many others put this issue down to "Flight Model".

zoinksu52
01-09-2006, 01:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by voyager_663rd:
I've posted this elsewhere but here it is for you:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I use the default settings with no problems. HOWEVER, if you are experiencing the bouncy up/down can't shoot a darn thing, make sure that in the config.ini file, the z line ends in a 0 (all three should: x y and z) but with the latest patch for whatever reason the z axis ended in 100 instead of 100 0.

[rts_joystick]
X=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Y=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Z=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0 &lt;---
RZ=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
FF=0
U=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
V=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

egad! i've read this several times and i finally checked my config file. my 0 was missing and my gunnery has dramatically improved. i don't suck after all.

bogusheadbox
01-09-2006, 06:16 AM
You know what. I looked at this last night in my config file and i am the same. No zero on the z axis......

Maybe....Just maybe, i can be a normal pilot now.....!!!!!!!!!

zoinksu52
01-09-2006, 09:03 AM
inserting the zero in the config has stablized the plane when firing guns. before the plane shook when firing guns and as i looked at the left and right wings as this occured, it certainly seemed this was the fm and i said to meself...i guess that's what would happen irl with real machine guns firing real bullets with recoil and real life physics.

i thought nothing of it all this time relating this to stories i heard when i was in the air force working on f-15 radar - pilots said they could feel that dish in the nose track - the hydraulics are incredibly strong.

so in my pathetic nOOb missions i created, my ground attack kill average went from 6 planes to 14. it sure helped me learn how to aim that warble did.