PDA

View Full Version : Definition of "Turtling"

DMG_Mastermind
11-13-2018, 03:28 AM
I have over 200 hours on For Honor, and I've had my fair share of the salty community, but I don't have people call me a turtle. Until yesterday, when I played some Lawbringer, and people called me a turtle, for playing a character entirely based around punishing overly aggressive players...And just about 5 minutes ago, my friends called me a turtle in some custom 2v2s. They said because I was blocking attacks, and not throwing as many (I was playing Kensei and Lawbringer) that I was a turtle. I wasn't throwing as many attacks because I had slower heavies than the characters that they were playing. And when I got a parry they complained about how I was turtling, I happen to be the lowest in rep out of everyone in that group, at 14. The only one that wasn't calling me a turtle was our highest rep friend (40). Could someone explain to me the context of the word "turtling" to me, or at least why that would be considered "turtling"?

GrislyAccord
11-13-2018, 03:42 AM
First rule of gaming: Successful strategies always (ALWAYS!!!) equals BAD!!! (And developers must do something immediately to do prevent said successful strategy!)

Second rule: If someone is better than you, they're obviously hacking.

Knight_Raime
11-13-2018, 03:54 AM
Turtling means you almost never take the initiative in terms of aggressing. you pretty much stand and block all day. And rarely attempt to parry, only attempting to parry things you're 100% fine with.
People (myself included) dislike this style of play because for honor has always and still does favor passive play over proactive play. There used to be a time where turtling was a lot stronger. Netting you a near guaranteed kill or guaranteed kill on any parry you made because parries gave guard breaks for free. You're also playing lawbringer. He's gotten his share of hate because of shove on block and any parry netting him 50+ damage because you can get impale on any parry and impale can carry you far into a splatable surface.

CRIMS0NM0NKEY
11-13-2018, 06:42 AM
With Ken there is also "15ft gaming" ...it's where you stay just out of range of the opponents attacks. Some people consider this turtling. Light, take a step back, counter attack an attack, take a step back, light, take a step back ect. Thought I'd mention it.
With shugoki their is trading which some consider turtling. You trade an opponents attack for hopefully a better attack and let your passive hyper armor soak up the damage they would have inflicted then you block all attacks until your passive HA comes back. Personally I see trading as its own category but I've been called a turtle many times playing shugoki.

SangLong524
11-13-2018, 12:02 PM
turtling may be in the bad light, but in a way, a great turlte is a great player, especially with all the assassins and cousins running around.
i'm saying that screw what they say, as long as you aren't cheating, pulling your own weigh and contribute as well as not purposely sabotage your team (there's a certain imbecile who takes the name of a famous female singer), it's all rage talk.

The.All.Father
11-13-2018, 02:20 PM
turtling may be in the bad light, but in a way, a great turlte is a great player, especially with all the assassins and cousins running around.
i'm saying that screw what they say, as long as you aren't cheating, pulling your own weigh and contribute as well as not purposely sabotage your team (there's a certain imbecile who takes the name of a famous female singer), it's all rage talk.

Hahaha,i had to google if there is a singer named "Raime". U lack of courage to not point Knight_Raime by the name? If i am correct, and u are saying that he is an imbecile then tell us why u think so? He explained "turtling" nice and gave additional opinion of his. So what is your problem ? It is just an opinion, no rage talk. I dont like turtling myself, and YES i cannot forbid u this cause it is not cheating nor exploit, but it is my opinion which doesnt matter. Where u see rage talk here?

SangLong524
11-13-2018, 02:37 PM
Hahaha,i had to google if there is a singer named "Raime". U lack of courage to not point Knight_Raime by the name? If i am correct, and u are saying that he is an imbecile then tell us why u think so? He explained "turtling" nice and gave additional opinion of his. So what is your problem ? It is just an opinion, no rage talk. I dont like turtling myself, and YES i cannot forbid u this cause it is not cheating nor exploit, but it is my opinion which doesnt matter. Where u see rage talk here?
You must have been absent for a long time
if that is the only female singer you know, then i'm sorry to inform you that there're a lot of female singers in the world. FYI, i don't even know there's a singer named Raime.
and what make you think i have a problem with Raime? :) you sir, are a whiteknight idiot. I'm not talking about the Raime on this forum nor any Raime in the world. learn to read, yeah?
and save the personal attack, imbecile, mine is an opinion too
And please excuse me for not addressing you. i have the impression that a reply without quote is a reply for OP, as in Original Post. DId you reply somewhere else above? Truthfully i didn't read all the replies.
Moron

SangLong524
11-13-2018, 02:42 PM
go back googling the term "female singer". See how many are there? let me know the number

The.All.Father
11-13-2018, 02:56 PM
go back googling the term "female singer". See how many are there? let me know the number

Mea Culpa, i read that as "singer" not "female singer". I just thought that u attack him cause he has his own opinion (opposite to yours) which i share. U see this line "If i am correct"? I've made a mistake reading. Guess that doesn't happen to u master ******* :)

SangLong524
11-13-2018, 02:58 PM
Mea Culpa, i read that as "singer" not "female singer". I just thought that u attack him cause he has his own opinion (opposite to yours) which i share. U see this line "If i am correct"? I've made a mistake reading. Guess that doesn't happen to u master ******* :)

and will you be happy if i tell you "no, you're wrong"?
My point stand, you are a whiteknight ****. Maybe you should have just reread b4 asking, it wasn't a wall of text. That;s the end of this, i'll talk no more about that if you please. I have no wish to pollute OP's thread with argument, silly argument in this case.

The.All.Father
11-13-2018, 03:12 PM
and will you be happy if i tell you "no, you're wrong"?
My point stand, you are a whiteknight ****. Maybe you should have just reread b4 asking, it wasn't a wall of text. That;s the end of this, i'll talk no more about that if you please. I have no wish to pollute OP's thread with argument, silly argument in this case.

Yes, i asked a question with "bad" information in my mind, so i expected normal answer, not an agressive answer. I was wrong, and u could explain it to me nicely, not offending me ("imbecile", "whiteknight idiot"). U can think I am whiteknight ****, but u are just random internet idiot, who cannot respond without offending (yes, i must talk with u on your level, cause i am afraid it is the only way u can understand). Don't masturbate to this mistake so much cause I am gonna think that is the only way u can be satisfied.

SangLong524
11-13-2018, 03:17 PM
Yes, i asked a question with "bad" information in my mind, so i expected normal answer, not an agressive answer. I was wrong, and u could explain it to me nicely, not offending me ("imbecile", "whiteknight idiot"). U can think I am whiteknight ****, but u are just random internet idiot, who cannot respond without offending (yes, i must talk with u on your level, cause i am afraid it is the only way u can understand). Don't masturbate to this mistake so much cause I am gonna think that is the only way u can be satisfied.

hmm, this is the last reply for you unless it is some game related, professionally.
maybe you should reread your own "question". Nice question? How would you feel in my place?
Don't answer, i mean it that i do not wish this to escalate any further.