PDA

View Full Version : OK, do I want the rudder pedals?

hi_stik
07-31-2006, 01:17 PM
I have been monitoring the hub-bub all over this forum about the CH vs. Saitek debate, and I find both compelling instruments of virtual destruction. I think I've decided to ultimately go w/ CH products, but I'll have to spread out the purchases over several months (hockey league fees vacuum out my bank account at prodigious rates). Should I not get the pedals first? Also, the most compelling argument I've found in favor of the Saitek, are the multitudes of trim wheels. How do you CH guys work out trim features? do you still use the keyboard (I'd hate that)?

hi_stik
07-31-2006, 01:17 PM
I have been monitoring the hub-bub all over this forum about the CH vs. Saitek debate, and I find both compelling instruments of virtual destruction. I think I've decided to ultimately go w/ CH products, but I'll have to spread out the purchases over several months (hockey league fees vacuum out my bank account at prodigious rates). Should I not get the pedals first? Also, the most compelling argument I've found in favor of the Saitek, are the multitudes of trim wheels. How do you CH guys work out trim features? do you still use the keyboard (I'd hate that)?

sudoku1941
07-31-2006, 01:23 PM
I've had one single set of CH Pedals for close to eight years now, and only had one problem with them, which was simply solved with a pot alignment.

So, I'd say that rudder units are robust enough that you could easily take a chance on a used pair.

Be prepared for an adjustment period: your flying will really suck for a little time, while your mind stops telling your hand to twist the stick, and instead tells your feet to push and pull. But, you'll be much better for it in the end. STAY WITH IT. And remember, twisty sticks are for kids. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

HitchHikerHSDWG
07-31-2006, 02:08 PM
The Saitek pedals were just released so there is no real way to tell right now. CH has a great rep for quality and long lasting products. Personally I find the CH pedals too close together for my tastes and the fact thats its not readily compatible with my Saitek X-52 is enough for me (yes I know CH will work with Saitek). I like the Saiteks because there wider and are built for my X-52. I think CH makes great stuff but you have to be really into flight simming to spend that kind of cash. Saitek is just as good in my opinion, a whole lot cheaper and pretty decent quality though you can tell the difference between CH and Saitek.

stansdds
08-01-2006, 04:32 AM
I've been using CH stuff for years, never a problem. As for trim, I map trim to my keyboard so that I can have repeatable settings. And usually once I get my bird trimmed out, I leave it alone.

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-01-2006, 05:49 AM
The choice of which to purchase first should depend on your style of flying and what you currently use as your input devices. If you have a decent joystick and are comfortable with it, I'd lean towards the pedals. As was stated earlier, be prepared for a small adjutment period with the pedals...especially if you've never flown in real life or used them in a flight sim before. Once used to them though, you won't want to go back to not using them.

TB

hi_stik
08-01-2006, 08:10 AM
I DID IT...I DID IT...I did it.

I ordered the pedals yesterday, so they're on the way. I have decided to do it this way: 1 - pedals, 2 - throttle, and 3 - joystick. I currently have the Logitech wireless joystick, and it's acceptable enough, I have no complaints other than the desire for more buttons.

Crash_Moses
08-01-2006, 11:05 AM
My 11-year-old daughter just recently expressed an interest in flying IL-2/PF (she has many hours watching over Dad's shoulder) so I set up another PC behind mine so we could do a little training on the home network (full-real, of course http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif).

I originally set her up with a Saitek with the rudder mapped to the butterfly buttons on the joystick but she just couldn't seem to get the hang of taking off. On a whim I switched places with her and using the rudder pedals she took off the first time (from a carrier no less!).

Up 'till now I would have recommended getting a throttle and stick first (and/or TIR) but I honestly think now that pedals make a much bigger difference than I had previously thought.

Can't wait until she has some more hours under her belt...I might actually have cover on my bombing missions for a change! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

S!

Haigotron
08-01-2006, 01:34 PM
will the saitek pedals work with the x45?

steve_v
08-01-2006, 03:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haigotron:
will the saitek pedals work with the x45? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The pedals should work with any j/s combo as they are an usb 2.0 device. http://saitekusa.stores.yahoo.net/proflrupe.html

Dumbo_AK32nd
08-01-2006, 03:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hi_stik:
How do you CH guys work out trim features? do you still use the keyboard (I'd hate that)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a CH Fighterstick/ProPedal combo. The Fighterstick is their top-end model with a TON of programmable buttons across three separate modes, so I have my trim programmed to a button in the third mode which I've relegated to "basic flight" functions. The first mode is for "air combat" functions, and the second mode is for "ground attack" functions.

Hope this helps. Yeah, I hate having to use the keyboard, too. But with this set-up, I rarely do.

Oh, and you'll find that your flying skills improve IMMENSELY with pedals...particularly in take-off and landing.

Crash_Moses
08-01-2006, 04:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dumbo_AK32nd:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hi_stik:
How do you CH guys work out trim features? do you still use the keyboard (I'd hate that)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a CH Fighterstick/ProPedal combo. The Fighterstick is their top-end model with a TON of programmable buttons across three separate modes, so I have my trim programmed to a button in the third mode which I've relegated to "basic flight" functions. The first mode is for "air combat" functions, and the second mode is for "ground attack" functions.

Hope this helps. Yeah, I hate having to use the keyboard, too. But with this set-up, I rarely do.

Oh, and you'll find that your flying skills improve IMMENSELY with pedals...particularly in take-off and landing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah. Gotta have trim programmed to the HOTAS. I use an old Thrustmaster TQS myself and have the elevator trim mapped to the radar range wheel and my rudder trim mapped to that one button on top that I can't for the life of me remember the name of...how embarrasing. Prop Pitch is mapped to the radio knob.

However, it's been my experience that even with trim on a wheel it's hard to really fine tune. I've mapped my rudder and elevator trim to my arrow keys (left/right and up/down respectively) and use those for fine adjustments while cruising.

Divine-Wind
08-01-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm thinking about getting rudder pedals, but not until I get a new desk. The way I have it, the tower sticks out quite a bit, and it's a narrow desk, which means using rudder pedals with it would be like having buttsecks with your clothes on.

If anyone has tried both pedals, I'd appreciate it if you posted your thoughts about both models.