dbuff
11-22-2005, 11:15 AM
RO will no longer just be a Mod Mod for UT ,
but will exist as a standalone game.
Big changes , big imporovements.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/

Key Features

Fight intense battles on 13 authentic Eastern Front combat environments
Crew 14 fully realized vehicles with highly detailed exterior and interior models
Choose from 28 authentic infantry weapons
Full 32 player online Multiplayer Support
Unique Setting €" the only FPS to focus on the WWII Russian Front
Engage enemy tanks at 800 metres and more with the Simulation-level armored vehicle combat
Fight the full range of combined arms infantry and vehicle combat in detailed environments based on real-world data, from city-centre to deeply rural settings
Realistic bullet and projectile ballistics will make you duck for cover
Coordinate strategies with your team-mates via Voice Over IP
Authentic Immersive Sound FX and 3d Positional Sound System
3d €œIron Sights€ and unique 3d scope system
True weapon deployment system including resting rifles on support
Historically accurate artillery system
Distance-based sound system dynamically creates the battle ambiance
Advanced player movement system featuring diving over obstacles and leaning
Custom 8 way animation system for highly realistic player animations

Ingame screen shot:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/images/full/mapshoot2.jpg

dbuff
11-22-2005, 11:15 AM
RO will no longer just be a Mod Mod for UT ,
but will exist as a standalone game.
Big changes , big imporovements.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/

Key Features

Fight intense battles on 13 authentic Eastern Front combat environments
Crew 14 fully realized vehicles with highly detailed exterior and interior models
Choose from 28 authentic infantry weapons
Full 32 player online Multiplayer Support
Unique Setting €" the only FPS to focus on the WWII Russian Front
Engage enemy tanks at 800 metres and more with the Simulation-level armored vehicle combat
Fight the full range of combined arms infantry and vehicle combat in detailed environments based on real-world data, from city-centre to deeply rural settings
Realistic bullet and projectile ballistics will make you duck for cover
Coordinate strategies with your team-mates via Voice Over IP
Authentic Immersive Sound FX and 3d Positional Sound System
3d €œIron Sights€ and unique 3d scope system
True weapon deployment system including resting rifles on support
Historically accurate artillery system
Distance-based sound system dynamically creates the battle ambiance
Advanced player movement system featuring diving over obstacles and leaning
Custom 8 way animation system for highly realistic player animations

Ingame screen shot:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/images/full/mapshoot2.jpg

Kyril21
11-22-2005, 03:42 PM
I've played and loved this game since 1.0, and Factor VIII runs a server for the current version 3.3. With complete freedom to the engine liscense now, this ought to be sweet, can't wait.

polak5
11-22-2005, 03:48 PM
kol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Tooz_69GIAP
11-22-2005, 04:04 PM
I really like playing RO, but what I would really love to see is a strong offline game. But I doubt that will happen.

hobnail
11-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Hmm I think I'll still prefer Forgotten Hope 2.

SeaFireLIV
11-23-2005, 08:31 AM
If there`s an offline version, i`ll get it.

Kyril21
11-23-2005, 10:05 AM
Offline version you play against bots on the multiplayer maps, no single player campaign yet.

Owlsphone
11-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Great game...the problem is that it has been bought by Valve. This means it will be distributed by Steam. Yay. Steam.

dbuff
11-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Just FYI - not bought by valve - the developing company, tripwire llc, has chosen steam them as a distributor. the game content will be soley decided by tripwire. IMHO, if they went with another route that would certainly not be the case.

i agree STEAM turns people off, but so does starforce and other stuff, but we continue to buy.

Owlsphone
11-23-2005, 12:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dbuff:
Just FYI - not bought by valve - the developing company, tripwire llc, has chosen steam them as a distributor. the game content will be soley decided by tripwire. IMHO, if they went with another route that would certainly not be the case.

i agree STEAM turns people off, but so does starforce and other stuff, but we continue to buy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the correction.

hobnail
11-23-2005, 03:20 PM
To be honest I don't see what the problem with Steam is. I'm lucky that my ISP is proactive enough to run it's own content mirror and I've never once had a reason to moan about it. I think it's quite good.

Covino
11-23-2005, 04:12 PM
I don't understand so many peoples kneejerk reaction to Steam. Steam used to have its problems but is now an excellent piece of software. I was at a LAN party a while ago and if the public computer didn't have the game I wanted, click, boom it was downloading and ready to play in a few minutes. No hassling with CDs, CD keys, or patch finding and installation.
And yes, RO is an amazing game and you can bet that the devs will stay true to their original goal of realism without some publisher breathing down their necks and changing the game into another arcade shoot em' up. If you don't know about RO, here's a review (http://www.simhq.com/_land/fps_012a.html) on the UT2004 mod, described as being, "IL-2 on the ground."

lairdperkins
11-23-2005, 07:54 PM
I'll second Covino's statement. Steam was released about six months too early due to Valve's dispute with Sierra (Vivendi).

On release it was buggy, very crash prone, and basically a royal PITA to setup. On top of that, the orginal Half-Life mods didn't play very well with it, and would tend to take about twice as long to load etc.

Over the past two years, and especially since the release of Half-Life 2. Steam has improved into a very solid distribution network. It makes it MUCH easier for the average (ie Non-IT Worker) gamer to keep their games up to date. (As opposed to say FB + PF =P ) It also makes content delivery (maps, skins, etc) a breeze. I can connect to a DoD server running a map I don't have and expect to be playing within two minutes.

The fact that it's also becoming a distribution network for really good games is an added bonus and one that will hopefully keep the server matching and content hosting services free.

So far the games lineup on Steam has been impressive. Discounting Valve's own lineup, the three third party games are all really top-notch titles that for whatever reason had trouble finding a traditional distributor. I haven't tried Rag-Doll Kung-Fu, but I've heard good things about it. Darwinia I absolutly love. It's such a magnificent meld of weird and familiar. Red Orchestra is to my mind, the premier First Person Simulator. It's not a traditional shooter, they actually model bullet flight and drop... for each and every round, no less. (Yes, even the MG-42) It's much more delibrate than say DoD or CoD. I'm looking forward to the new version, and I'll definatly spend a couple hours pay on it.

ReligiousZealot
11-25-2005, 08:52 PM
I have to say RO is probably the most realistic WWII shooter I've played...not only that its FUN! I really hate the likes of MoH and CoD, people talk about them being realistic and its no where near it...I like having to find cover from an MG and if I happen to not make it I'm toast. I do miss the online comunity, a lot of the regulars left after Battlefield 2 was released (I like it, fun for the arcade and new ways to force teamwork, yet RO somehow still manages to force better teamwork than it).

Unlike MoH or CoD where you can gun down 15 people in a row with your SMG and God help you if you try to use the basic rifle, its suicide. Now, I do have MoH and CoD 2, and I enjoy them for what their worth, I still have to say RO is the BEST shooter out there to do with WWII and I can't wait to see what the future holds for it. I strongly encourage everyone to get a copy of UT2004 (only 12 bucks at most KB toys and Walmart (I think) now) and install and try RO, you won't be disappointed.

ytareh
11-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Well I hate to be the naysayer but I got UT2004 and downloaded the RO mod on the reccomendation of guys here-Now while waiting for the game to arrive I had gotten COD2 having become addicted to the demo-I found COD2 to be better than RO in every way I could concieve.Maybe some of the ballistics are off or something as RZ suggests above but HEY while I was playing RO enemy troops would walk by only yards away on perfectly open ground without engaging me.The online Russian "maps"(Stalingrad etc)on COD2 are unbelievably tense and yes, realistic!

ReligiousZealot
11-26-2005, 06:33 PM
ytareh, maybe I should have thrown in something about the bots being incredibly stupid (they need to be set on Auto-Adjust skill to offer any sort of a challenge), to get the full experience you have to try the online play.

I don't find CoD2 to be at all realistic seeing as I don't enjoy mowing down 100s of Germans and rarely dieing in a game claiming to be "realistic"(even on the higher difficulty settings). Not only that, I find extreme fault with the health system, it feels like Halo 2 with the rechargable shields - at least in RO you rarely survive more than a shot or 2, in CoD2 you can charge an MG42 position and live...tell me that's realistic and I'll show you the videos of the D-Day invasion with the troops being mowed down as they charged up the beach towards the MG42 positions.

Its not all bad but CoD2 feels like a console shooter and not a "realistic" PC shooter like its being hailed as. I beat CoD2 on the hardest difficulty setting in about 10 hours. I do have to say, they did manage to create a good sense of emotion and attachment for the American Campaign.

ytareh
11-27-2005, 04:58 AM
OK Im sorry I was wrong!!!Iv fired up RO again and had a while online adn it IS a COD2 alternative for a fraction of the cost.Still only getting into it but ,PROS:-cant jump from 3rd floor windows without a scratch like in COD2,Sniper seems more effective-I killed a LOT of guys with my scoped Moisin Nagant compared to COD2.CONS :-COD2 is still better to look at ....and does seem more realistically "harder" with regard to shooting

ReligiousZealot
11-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Lol, I guess my last post seemed rather aggressive, haha...so, sorry about that. They both are awesome games and when RO is released via Steam I'm probably going to buy it just to see all the new graphical flare and gameplay fixes.

As for CoD 2, I really like the sense of action and immersion,especially all the explosions and gunfire and yelling. The ambience sound is a lot better than RO in terms of that. I am expecting mods to be popping up soon with more realistic damage for the weapons in CoD 2. As cool as it is to streak across a field with machine guns shooting at you, its kind of a little bit yanking out of the immersion factor when you get hit several times and just turn and blast the Nazi(s) that were shooting at you. We all know that you couldn't take more than 2 rounds from a Kar98 at max (8mm Mauser, right?) and that's why I like RO with its almost always insta-kill with the rifles (although the CoD2 campaign would be really frustrating if this were the case). Also being able to lug around an Mp44 and Panzerschrek is really unrealistic, I would've liked a primary weapon with a sidearm for each mission.

Oh well, I could go on and on about what I like about each game, if you want the utmost realism you go to RO, if you want a decently balanced game, CoD2 is for you.

actionhank1786
11-28-2005, 02:32 AM
I used to be addicted to RO.
I'd play it until 5am, from 12 at night, just hoping to get in a few more shots after finally getting the sniper spot.
Then i'd look up, and see the sun rising in my window and force myself to log out and go to bed.
COD2 is an awesome game, it's immersive as all hell, but it's far from realistic. Realism has it's place and time, i've gotta say the game wouldn't be half as fun if you died from one gun shot wound. Especially with the battles it threw you into. But i've got to say, the mission where i climbed the cliffs on D-day, took over a small french town, and then had to retreat while firing on the nazis, jumping back from cover to cover, all the while getting pressed closer and closer to those same cliffs i'd just climbed...it was heaven.
And COD2 has immersion that you can't get from a Multiplayer game...for some reason someone typing: LOL! I JUST PWNED J00!!! Doesn't make me feel like i'm back in 42...

ReligiousZealot
11-28-2005, 11:29 AM
That was definitely one of my more favorite missions in CoD2. I do have to say, I think what made CoD2 so much more immersive in single player is all the yelling. I mean, the multiplayer can have all the same sounds but just the screams of wounded, the yelling of soldiers "There's one!" "MG42, GET DOWN!!" "Got Him!" etc. takes you to a whole other world. I know this sounds sick, but I liked the way when a soldier might be wounded he'd defiantly try to crawl away or shoot at the enemy. I think that almost captured the horror of war by giving the enemies a sort of life to themselves and not something you just slaughter - I mean, I felt a little guilty the first time I beat to death a German Soldier, but instantly I realized it was just a game. Still, that was sort of cool in a way to feel that immersed in the game.