PDA

View Full Version : Is Centurion still viable?

BuffKensei
11-09-2018, 03:12 PM
Hi community,

I'm kinda a new player and I main Kensei. I have my 15k steel saved and I want to buy a new hero. I've tried Centurion and i feel comfortable with him. I learnt that Cent received some nerfs etc. and his position in tier list is not that good. Do you still recommend him? If not, can you suggest me a hero (can be DLC too)? I usually play Brawl or Duel. Thank you so much love you all :o

dedric_branford
11-09-2018, 03:18 PM
Hi community,

I'm kinda a new player and I main Kensei. I have my 15k steel saved and I want to buy a new hero. I've tried Centurion and i feel comfortable with him. I learnt that Cent received some nerfs etc. and his position in tier list is not that good. Do you still recommend him? If not, can you suggest me a hero (can be DLC too)? I usually play Brawl or Duel. Thank you so much love you all :o

ITS a C tier hero . really bad

Roseguard_Cpt
11-09-2018, 03:31 PM
Centurion to me feels like one of those characters where, "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." He was implemented with broken mechanics to help counter the turtle meta. However he got fixed, which was a nerf, and then he started to receive actual nerfs. He went from a counter to the turtle meta to being completely reliant on turtling as his offense is sub-par.
If you're comfortable with him and like his aesthetic, go for it, just know you'll have to turtle a fair bit in higher level play.

SpaceJim12
11-09-2018, 03:37 PM
If you prefer to play duels, Centurion is bad after all.
But in 4v4 he now can be very comfort to play. While gear stats gone, a lot of character have problems with stamina. And when I play Centurion, I never find myself OOS in 4v4 fights, while my opponents loose their stamina quite fast.

Wookiescantfly
11-09-2018, 05:03 PM
Centurion is a Assassin-Vanguard Hybrid who focuses on stamina punish. If you intend to play Ranked, then he's a low "tier" hero on the competitive scene and will ultimately get shut down by more viable heroes just due to him being outclassed. If you've no intention of playing ranked or just don't care about the competitive scene, then all roads lead to Rome my friend. Deus Vult.

****ty memes aside, what I mean is that if you want him for lols or fun rather than competitive gameplay go right on ahead. He's powerful, but he's outclassed by newer heroes/reworks and anyone who knows his moveset well enough to not get curb stomped by him. If you're really concerned with viability though, Highlander, Shaman, or Shaolin would be a better use of your steel. Highlander and Shaolin are pretty good across all game modes, while Shaman is more of the same with the slight exception that she's arguably the best possible pick for Dominion out of the whole roster with her outright unholy ganking potential. One does not simply escape a Shaman gank.

UbiInsulin
11-09-2018, 08:25 PM
If you prefer to play duels, Centurion is bad after all.
But in 4v4 he now can be very comfort to play. While gear stats gone, a lot of character have problems with stamina. And when I play Centurion, I never find myself OOS in 4v4 fights, while my opponents loose their stamina quite fast.

Interesting that you've noticed this after the Perk system change. This benefit doesn't extend to duels, though?

Centurion is a Assassin-Vanguard Hybrid who focuses on stamina punish. If you intend to play Ranked, then he's a low "tier" hero on the competitive scene and will ultimately get shut down by more viable heroes just due to him being outclassed. If you've no intention of playing ranked or just don't care about the competitive scene, then all roads lead to Rome my friend. Deus Vult.

****ty memes aside, what I mean is that if you want him for lols or fun rather than competitive gameplay go right on ahead. He's powerful, but he's outclassed by newer heroes/reworks and anyone who knows his moveset well enough to not get curb stomped by him. If you're really concerned with viability though, Highlander, Shaman, or Shaolin would be a better use of your steel. Highlander and Shaolin are pretty good across all game modes, while Shaman is more of the same with the slight exception that she's arguably the best possible pick for Dominion out of the whole roster with her outright unholy ganking potential. One does not simply escape a Shaman gank.

I think this sums it up pretty well. Cent is not considered viable in competitive at the moment, but if you think you'll have fun with him then that's what really matters.

BadBOO17
11-09-2018, 09:20 PM
Cents a funny character that newer players will think hes a god but everyone else will consider him pretty bad. Hes called "the newb stomper" for a reason. Hes alot to handle until you learn all his big drawbacks.
Hes great in that he can take half your health away by landing one charged heavy and or getting a GB close to a wall. But hes pretty one dimensional and pretty much all the wu lin, shaman, and newer reworks will out class him just because they have a more expanded kit with more options.

Dont let that stop you from playing cent though! Hes not bad at all in 4s. Hes a lot of fun to play with and hes definitely one of the cooler looking heros in game.

EvoX.
11-09-2018, 09:45 PM
No, he's not. Centurion is currently the 4th weakest hero in the game. He will be great at your startert level, as his kit is pretty difficult to deal with for new players, but once you pass into average levels and maybe above, you will realize just how limited he is. At high level, the only ways you can deal damage with him is by parries or by chip damage... that should speak for itself.

You know what he's the best at, though? Everything else. He's by far the character with the best personality, great voice-over, epic lines, amazing fashion, superb animations - the arrogant Roman bully in his full glory.

Forever my main, so I highly recommend picking him up, despite his inability to compete, which will hopefully change in the future.

DefiledDragon
11-10-2018, 01:46 AM
Hi community,

No. He's good for crushing noobs and making them rage. if you want an actually viable hero for high level duels you should be looking at Kensei, Warden, Shamen, Shaolin, possibly Tiandi or Highlander. You can also try Conqueror if you don't mind being the cheapest of the cheap. Don't have enough experience with anyone else to make a judgement but I'm sure there are others who do.

If you want to mine salt against noobs, however, Cent is your boy. Nothing gets the rage flowing like his wallsplat cutscene. You might also try Conqueror for salt mining. Just press RB, A, RB, A until your opponent falls over or you get close to having no stamina. If you see a red indicator on your opponent, press RB+RT. Job done.

Buggy.Blaster
11-10-2018, 06:45 AM
well according to the state of balance the cent is in the top few. now the dev is saying its not viable or very competitive? more evidence that the state of balance means nothing?

Knight_Raime
11-11-2018, 01:48 AM
Yes he is. Centurion only falls flat when you are playing mid high to high tier. At the level most people play in this game he's plenty usable.

Lord_Cherubi
11-11-2018, 12:35 PM
As a duelist i cannot recommend him, he's far too easy to shutdown. But a decen Cent player will do okay, there is worse options than him.

In Dominion he's a bully and a damn good one 😂

Klingentaenz3r
11-12-2018, 12:56 PM
Hi community,

For a new player like you he is plenty of viable. If you're comfortable with a hero, go for it. Why not? Every hero you play will extent your horizon as a player a bit. He is low in tier lists yes, but those lists are from top real tournament level players. That means they know exactly how to shut a character down and will do so if the characters mechanics does not prevent that from happening by itself.

For new players Centurion is one of the characters that usually will make the game on easy mode. Although I cannot compare it now from a new players perspective with the introduction of the wulin, but I had a friend before they were introduced and it was interesting to observe how well he could compete with other players because of his character choice. Basic elements of cent's kit are easily accessed and put out to your advantage. So just go with what you like and what you enjoy.

SpaceJim12
11-12-2018, 01:44 PM
Interesting that you've noticed this after the Perk system change. This benefit doesn't extend to duels, though?

Gear never conted in duels, so overall system can't affect it. On the other hand, in 4v4 modes Cent barely could use his stamina drain moves, cause gears stats in right build could gave you too much stamina. Today on Cent you could bring your opponents OOS in 4v4 same fast as in duels. And it's cool. I really enjoy Cent again.=)

iadvisoryi
11-12-2018, 06:38 PM
I'm not even sure why this is a question. He's considered strong in 4v4, benefits the most off a wall splat, not so strong in duals but still viable, more viable than other low tier tual hero's. If they buff him, they'll break him, he either needs a rework or to stay right we're he is and I say stay right where he is.