PDA

View Full Version : Can't take this much longer.

FozzieFoskett
11-09-2018, 07:41 AM
I started playing For Honor about three weeks ago, in the middle of November. I was immensely attracted to playing as Centurion, being a huge Roman history buff, and I enjoyed my experience playing the game... at first. For the past week and a half, though, I've been absolutely miserable.

I cannot play this game. Ever since entering a higher skill bracket, I've spent 75% of my playtime getting absolutely creamed by my opponents. Whether it be duels, brawls, dominion, I just cannot handle myself. Sometimes I put up a bit of a fight (On a REALLY good day), but other times I'm just pathetic. Utterly useless.

This has affected my ability to enjoy the game. I'm just despondent, I'm not happy when I play. I know it's petty, and that winning isn't everything, but I'm just so sick of being bad. I want to be good at this game. I don't know how much more of this punishment I can take.

If anybody has any advice, I'd be in your debt. I want to keep playing For Honor, and I especially want to keep playing Centurion. Any solution that doesn't involve me switching to another class will save this game for me. Please. I'm close to just uninstalling and moving on. What a waste of money.

Velentix
11-09-2018, 07:55 AM
Whenever things get like this for me I just play against bots for a while. I go to youtube to see how other people play my character to learn some things, then I try it out in duels/bots.

If youre good on knowing your kit and the opponents kit, sometimes you just need to be super patient when you fight, dont go for the full combo etc itll help with people being able to read you.

Sometimes recording when you play is good so you can go back and see how you were tricked or how you messed up. Well thats helpful for me at least. If its cause of dominion, and specifically terrible teammates, just take a good break from it and do duels (this I have to do often enough). Hope the experience improves.

CRIMS0NM0NKEY
11-09-2018, 11:45 AM
Welcome to the spam meta. What I do is go to the practice section and fight my hardest opponent at level 3 or I'll pick a character that is over used like Shaolin today and focus my attention on them. When my reactions seem to be fast enough to turtle with them I know I'm able to play dominion properly.
Breach feels easier cuz the ganking is less which makes for a less stressful encounter. How that helps.
You can also go to practice and try to parry every single attack... It's not fun but it makes parrying heavies a breeze in 4v4s.
4v4 isn't as much fun as it use to be under the new paradigm.

dedric_branford
11-09-2018, 11:55 AM
I started playing For Honor about three weeks ago, in the middle of November. I was immensely attracted to playing as Centurion, being a huge Roman history buff, and I enjoyed my experience playing the game... at first. For the past week and a half, though, I've been absolutely miserable.

I cannot play this game. Ever since entering a higher skill bracket, I've spent 75% of my playtime getting absolutely creamed by my opponents. Whether it be duels, brawls, dominion, I just cannot handle myself. Sometimes I put up a bit of a fight (On a REALLY good day), but other times I'm just pathetic. Utterly useless.

This has affected my ability to enjoy the game. I'm just despondent, I'm not happy when I play. I know it's petty, and that winning isn't everything, but I'm just so sick of being bad. I want to be good at this game. I don't know how much more of this punishment I can take.

If anybody has any advice, I'd be in your debt. I want to keep playing For Honor, and I especially want to keep playing Centurion. Any solution that doesn't involve me switching to another class will save this game for me. Please. I'm close to just uninstalling and moving on. What a waste of money.

Dude u just started the game. i have 500 hrs in the game and i can say that if u spam u dead. A veteran player will destroy an orochi who just spams lights. Learn to play ur main hero pick a decent main like an a tier. Learn parrys and punishes .
the youtube guides really help me

Goat_of_Vermund
11-09-2018, 12:01 PM
The best start is watching youtube videos, maybe some guides first about the character, then a few duels of a good youtuber (I think KingMisty is one of the bests with centurion and gladiator, but you will find plenty more). Centurion did not change much since january I think, so don't be afraid from older vids either. I am not an expert with him, but from what I have seen, he is a parry intensive hero with not so good offensive options.
To tell the complete truth, you are playing one of the weaker heroes, and even if you do everything right, you are severly hindered by your lack of openers. Try not to commit to attacks too much (unblockable, jump heavy, punch if the heavy is blocked, charged punch if no pin), stay close to walls, parry what you can, and hope you will avoid conquerors.

CRIMS0NM0NKEY
11-09-2018, 12:10 PM
Dude u just started the game. i have 500 hrs in the game and i can say that if u spam u dead. A veteran player will destroy an orochi who just spams lights. Learn to play ur main hero pick a decent main like an a tier. Learn parrys and punishes .

Veterans spam to. They just do it far better.

dedric_branford
11-09-2018, 12:17 PM
Veterans spam to. They just do it far better.

i Would say they make reads and use the proper move in the right time . dont find many player who just spam 400 ms lights

Lukynu
11-09-2018, 12:34 PM
Are you having problem with doing offense or being defensive? (light spam, crazy stuff like feinting berserkers, shamans, etc)
I honestly dont think its you, its the state the game is in right now. Some characters are way too overtuned/overbuffed offensively. Reworked ones/newer ones. The game used to be... considerably easier earlier last year. And your centurion comes from that time (he was released back then) and hasnt really been properly touched (sounds weird) by the devs since then. The gap between older characters and the recently changed ones/new ones is bigger than ever.

I think there isnt much you can do, unless you spend tons of time studying other characters (in training arena) that give you trouble (experiencing how the character works can help a tiny bit, tho it really sucks you gotta do that when you have no interest in them), watch some guides about cent, etc... which is all mostly hella boring to do if you ask me.

CRIMS0NM0NKEY
11-09-2018, 12:34 PM
i Would say they make reads and use the proper move in the right time . dont find many player who just spam 400 ms lights

Play a shugoki and you will see it all the time when your HA is down.

dedric_branford
11-09-2018, 12:48 PM
Play a shugoki and you will see it all the time when your HA is down.

shokugeki is D tier , he gets bullied most of the time

Ev0rs0R
11-09-2018, 01:48 PM

This is correct Im a new player with hardly 20 hrs in the game. I played ranked and destroyed many players with simply light spamming on orochi. and due to the wonky match making in ths game for the placement matches i met a rep 60 orochi. He hardly moved from on place and evrything i did would just be deflected on me or parried. This game really does reward skill and practice. So keep working on it i guess.

CRIMS0NM0NKEY
11-09-2018, 02:50 PM
shokugeki is D tier , he gets bullied most of the time
The point isn't that he gets bullied it's how he gets bullied.

dedric_branford
11-09-2018, 03:15 PM
The point isn't that he gets bullied it's how he gets bullied.

He gets bullied bcos he cannot provide enough pressure on the opponents . it not the opponents fault that shoguki cannot employ pressure through mixup tools .
in the end he getas bullied cause he is weak. not because his enemys are broken

Lord_Cherubi
11-09-2018, 04:11 PM
I feel you OP, with the player base being so small it doesn't take long to start getting matched against more experienced players and this can be frustrating since you're just kinda learning the ropes.

But for me the most helpfull thing was to go to training and practice the moveset of both your own hero and the hero you struggle against. Simply turn AI off and go trough the list move by move until you feel comfortable enough to try against actual AI opponent. You can also set them to only execute specific moves and combos of your choosing, pick the moves you have the hardest time against and try to learn how to counter them.

At the end of the day the most useful learning tool is time. Stick around long enough and you'll get used to everything i promise.

Im not a pro player but if you have specific heroes you struggle against (or as) im happy to give some advice i've myself found helpfull :)

UbiInsulin
11-09-2018, 10:02 PM

Sorry to hear that you've hit a bit of a wall recently. There's no harm in taking a vacation from the game if that's what you need, as it sounds like your mentality isn't in a great spot at the moment.

If you do want to try to play through this, I think we could use more info on where you're seeing the most problems. Are there things you can't pull off consistently? Heroes or tactics used against you that cause big problems?

CRIMS0NM0NKEY
11-09-2018, 10:57 PM
He gets bullied bcos he cannot provide enough pressure on the opponents . it not the opponents fault that shoguki cannot employ pressure through mixup tools .
in the end he getas bullied cause he is weak. not because his enemys are broken

First I've been playing since the beta. Second the debate isn't about pressure it's about if vets spam or not. I don't care whose fault it is because that's not the discussion. Nor did I say they were broken. Vets spam. Why they spam isn't important. To say they don't spam isn't true.

EvoX.
11-09-2018, 11:32 PM
Three weeks? You haven't even scratched the surface of what you're capable of. It takes months to fully memorize the moveset of each hero and even more time to learn to properly counter them as a Centurion.

It's difficult to tell you how you could improve your Centurion game when I don't know what you're doing wrong, or even what skill level you're at. With 3 weeks of playtime, however, I assume you're not using him to his full potential and you're not in too high of a skill tier, meaning he still should be viable there. Vary your heavy timings, don't rely on your Kick and Jab, learn how and when to parry. The latter is especially important for Centurion.

If you're on PC, I could help you improve him, as I've mained him for almost a year now.

Buggy.Blaster
11-10-2018, 06:51 AM
wasn't cent rank 2 in the last state of balance?