PDA

View Full Version : LCD or CRT

DaveP2005
02-07-2005, 08:10 AM
I've just purchased Pacific Fighters and I'm thinking about upgrading to an LCD display.

The one I have in mind is the Samsung 172x - does anyone know if this display has good enough
refresh rates for Pacific Fighters? - or should I stick with a CRT?

DaveP2005
02-07-2005, 08:10 AM
I've just purchased Pacific Fighters and I'm thinking about upgrading to an LCD display.

The one I have in mind is the Samsung 172x - does anyone know if this display has good enough
refresh rates for Pacific Fighters? - or should I stick with a CRT?

Owlsphone
02-07-2005, 08:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaveP2005:

refresh rates for Pacific Fighters? - or should I stick with a CRT? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 172X is a stellar LCD and I know for a fact that there are a few members here that have them. Just give it a little time and I'm sure that they will post how much they love it.

There are also members that will tell you that LCDs aren't even close to a CRT in terms of gaming quality.

What it all comes down to is personal preference. Some people don't like the LCDs for gaming and others do.

Personally, I would get the LCD. (I am currently trying to save up for one) If you don't like it you can always return it, right?

Cajun76
02-07-2005, 09:04 AM
Many, many fans of LCD's will 'wow' you with the great things they can do, but even Computer Gaming World, which did a full page spread about the hottest and best LCD's out there before Christmas, admitted, at the bottom of the page, in a little box, the best performance will still be had with CRT's, for a lot less. People just feel the LCD's look cooler and trendy.

It's personal taste, though. Personally, I want at least 1600 X 1200, and low dot pitch (how big each pixel looks on the screen) CRT's reach 1600 X 1200 and 22-23 dot pitch easily, and a lot cheaper.

Try reaching 1600 X 1200 and anything less than 26-28 dot pitch with an LCD without taking out a loan.

My desktop runs at 1600 X 1200, just change the DPI in the control panel, and I can read text and see large pics easily.

I really don't want to go down in resolution, especially when spending large sums, so my next monitor, (to take advantage of my new OC'd Leadtek 6800GT (428/1175) capabilities) would be a waste if I got some 1280 X 1024 LCD.

Flat CRT all the way for now, but to each their own. Good luck.

WOLFMondo
02-07-2005, 09:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Owlsphone:

There are also members that will tell you that LCDs aren't even close to a CRT in terms of gaming quality. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can get TFT's with the quality of good CRT's but you pay a huge amount of money for it.

It is the thing you look at all the time so a good monitor is as important as a good CPU or GFX card but spending 200/$400 will get you an excellent 19" CRT with great image quality, a 19" TFT with the same image quality will require you to remortgage the house and sell the Children off.

Nubarus
02-07-2005, 09:31 AM
I swapped my CRT for an LCD for personal safety.

I go to LAN meets around 10 times a year and I nearly fell down the steep stairs in my house a couple of time carrying the big @$$ CRT, so I figured before I crash down and break something I buy myself a nice 20.1" LCD so that I can walk down carrying less then half the weight and I can actually see where I park my feet.

I got the IIyama ProLite E511S, a 1600x1200 native resolution and 16ms response time.

The picture is a lot clearer then on my CRT and no more anoying turning knobs to make the viewing screen fit the monitor front outlining.

faustnik
02-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Did you notice any improvement in eye strain with the LCD Nubarus?

adlabs6
02-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Eye strain is gone with my LCD. I haven't had dry, scratchy, burning eyes in more than a year now. If for no other reason, an LCD will stay on my desk if I can have it.

GT182
02-07-2005, 09:46 AM
One other thing to think of is the savings on your electric bill using a LCD monitor. And, they take up a lot less space than a CRT.

One thing that makes me laugh about CRTs is the screen size they advertise. My 17" Compaq screen is actually 16"s where my Hyundai 19" LCD is actuallu 19.25"s. Whatever happened to "truth in advertising"?

My wife threw a hissy fit when I got the 19" LCD, "Why in the world did you by that? It cost too much!" Now she won't even use the CRT...."I can't see anything on it... you use it!" is all she can say. LOL She loves it, as there's no glare and everything is so much easier to see and read.

DaveP2005
02-07-2005, 10:08 AM
I had never considered the eye strain issue - but for people in their 40's (like me) that could be important. I'd be interested in what others have to say about this issue.

Nubarus
02-07-2005, 10:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by faustnik:
Did you notice any improvement in eye strain with the LCD Nubarus? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I forgot about that but yes, it does help a lot.

BaldieJr
02-07-2005, 10:35 AM
I love my LCD.

SlickStick
02-07-2005, 10:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
It is the thing you look at all the time so a good monitor is as important as a good CPU or GFX card... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point, WOLFMondo. So many people I've talked with get an amazing new graphics card and wonder why the visual improvement isn't "what they expected".

Most times it's because they still have an older monitor with a huge dot pitch and limited resolution. I still have a .25 DP 17" that I'm using, but have been thinking about LCD. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread.

I may still just get a 21" CRT as an in-between until the high-end LCDs are more reasonably priced. The family always loves getting my "hand-me-downs" for their PC. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

sunflower1
02-07-2005, 10:52 AM
I've got a cheap (CTX 760) TFT and its okay. The biggest problem is that the image won't stand up to bright light.

It does seem to cause less eyestrain for me, too, but also a different sort of eyestrain that I cannot put in words or link to any dim undestanding of how the things work. I'm 41.

I find that I have granular images leftover in my brain that I don't remember from CRT's. Perhaps the dot pitch isn't small enough.

I think I'd have a hard time going back to a CRT now, for reasons people have listed, but if I had the space to set up a cockpit I think, given my budget, I'd give serious consideration to buying a flat screen CRT.

Chivas
02-07-2005, 11:17 AM
I purchaced a 21" Samsung (16ms Responce time it memory serves) a few months ago. It was awesome until I changed views in cockpit. I sure didn't want to take it back but my new 22" MultiSync FP2141SB has helped me forget it.

There is still a problem with the Response times with LCD's which may be less obvious if you fly with no cockpit. Personally I'll wait atleast another year.

DaveP2005
02-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Anyone flown with a Samsung 172x with the cockpit view "on"? What was the result?

faustnik
02-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the input on the eyestrain issue. I suffer from migraines and looking at a CRT monitor all day and then again flying IL-2 at night really gets rough. If an LCD could reduce this strain, I'll get one.

SlickStick
02-07-2005, 11:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaveP2005:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

How many people out of F understand hexadecimal? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

AnalFissure
02-07-2005, 07:24 PM
I'd steer clear of the 172x. I actually bought one last year and returned it a few days later.

I actually wrote a review of it: Click here (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=11847#topic) to check it out. Mine was the one dated sept. 28th.

Even after all of that, however, I was determined to switch to an LCD. I finally ended up purchasing a Dell 2005FPW and have been far happier with it than I was the 172x. The "ultra-low" response time of the 172x was really just a marketting gimmick, in my opinion. It was no less noticable than on any other LCD, and sometimes seemed even worse -- which isn't so bad, but when you couple this with the fact that the 172x has terrible color reproduction due to it only being a 6bit panel, I had to return it.

The Dell LCD I have now is still far from perfect -- I don't think there is an LCD out there can that come even close to the performance of the CRT I was using before -- but I'm glad I finally made the switch. I've got a widescreen 20" display, and it's saved me a ton of desk space. Plus, the performance isn't too shabby, imho, especially when compared to the 172x.

DaveP2005
02-07-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm still a little confused over the 172x.

Some swear by it, and others, like AnalFissure

(above) say that it is one to be avoided. All

this makes me pretty sure I'm going to stick

with a CRT for now. Once the LCD technology

advances a little more, I'll take the plunge.

BaldieJr
02-07-2005, 08:06 PM
AnalFissure's review is full of technical impossibilites. Its actually pretty funny.

WTE_Galway
02-07-2005, 09:20 PM
one potential downside of LCD's is they do not work with 3D shutter glasses .. but neither does IL2 (least not easily or well)

BaldieJr
02-07-2005, 09:32 PM
They will work with anaglyph 3d glasses though. You can buy the glasses on ebay for about $3.

Quality is hardly any worse than the shutter-type. I still don't know why people bother with 3d glasses, especially when you factor in the price.

DaveP2005
02-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Actually, it sounds like AnalFissure had one of the really early 172x displays. Apparently the early ones had 20ms response times instead of the advertised 12ms, but this has evidently been corrected by Samsung.

Nubarus
02-08-2005, 10:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by faustnik:
Thanks for the input on the eyestrain issue. I suffer from migraines and looking at a CRT monitor all day and then again flying IL-2 at night really gets rough. If an LCD could reduce this strain, I'll get one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You work in an office environment I assume, looking a CRT all day long.
If so then you can ask your boss for a glare filter.
It's the cheaper solution. (Usually works best to provide them with a cheap solution since most bosses act like the company's money is their own money)

http://www.ergoindemand.com/glarefilters.htm

I don't have to worry about that at work as a Mig/Mag welder because without good protective gear I cannot even see what I am doing so I got one of the best welding screens money can buy.
Digital controlled speedglass with an airflow system.
Lucky for me the company I work for care more about our comfort and safety then their pockets. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

faustnik
02-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks Nubarus. I'm the "boss", so I'm sure I can get the needed funds. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

1.JaVA_Hornet
02-08-2005, 02:57 PM
2 months ago I have bought the Samsung 17" 710T.
Its digital.

I don`t want to have my 19"crt anymore.

DaveP2005
02-08-2005, 06:39 PM
1.JaVA_Hornet - I assume your 12ms Samsung
has no ghosting problems or blurring and the colour is good?