PDA

View Full Version : Please help, Shaolin is the bane of my existence.

Mighty_Mackerel
11-05-2018, 10:40 PM
I cannot beat this guy. When Marching Fire came out I initially quit the game because I felt I just couldn't defend against 400ms lights anymore. But I decided to give the game another shot, and I realized that I didn't quit because of light attacks in general, it's because of the Shaolin.

No matter what I try to do it boils down to his attack speed beating everything I do. If I feint an attack, he pokes me during the animation or before I can switch my guard or follow up with an attack. If I try to dodge his attack he either pokes me before I can or he follows up with another chain light. And if it wasn't obvious enough at this point, blocking is useless because I just can't react fast enough to this guy's lights.

I practice forever in training mode against this guy and do just fine, but the moment I go up against another player my head's already underneath his feet while he's squealing like junior high schooler getting his nuts licked for the first time.

I acknowledge the fact that yes, I suck against this guy and need to "git gud," so spare me those comments and offer that good advice if ya'll would be so kind.

Thanks.

Knight_Raime
11-05-2018, 10:45 PM
It would help if I knew who you played as primarily so I could give more specific tips.

But in general you'll want to try to stay in his face. Because going into qi in someone's face and trying to throw a qi attack immediately is very punishable.
If you're a solid guard hero always rest your guard up top and react to side attacks.
Learn the difference between his lights and heavies. Shaolin will try to let raw heavies fly often because it's the only way he can get into qi from neutral without whiffing into it. (that is if you keep blocking his lights.)

Mighty_Mackerel
11-05-2018, 11:11 PM
It would help if I knew who you played as primarily so I could give more specific tips.

But in general you'll want to try to stay in his face. Because going into qi in someone's face and trying to throw a qi attack immediately is very punishable.
If you're a solid guard hero always rest your guard up top and react to side attacks.
Learn the difference between his lights and heavies. Shaolin will try to let raw heavies fly often because it's the only way he can get into qi from neutral without whiffing into it. (that is if you keep blocking his lights.)

Ah ha! This is great! I primarily play Warden, Highlander and LB, but this advice already helps a ton. Thanks again!

Wookiescantfly
11-06-2018, 01:03 AM
General tips about Shoalin

Lights are pretty fast, 500ms irrc, but he can only do two light attack consecutively before the chain ends.
Heavy attacks from neutral are extremely telegraphed with a lot of unnecessary eye frames before he actually hits you. (by eye frames I'm referring to the excessive movement in the animation likely meant to distract you )
Side dodge heavies always attack from the direction opposite of his dodge. So if he dodges left, the attack will come from the right.
His light attacks from qi stance have superior block and are basically crushing counter if you try to hit him out of qi stance.
His side heavies out of qi stance are undodgeable, but can be feinted. Your best bet here is to just guard in the direction he dodges in.
His top heavy out of qi stance is an unblockable that can be feinted. Dodging this attack is likely to get you guardbroken.
His kick from Qi stance is dodgable and cannot be feinted. The second you see him lift up off the ground dodge to the side and punish.

Hero Specific. Warden
Side dodge shoulder bash is going to be your best tool for just about anything Shaolin does out of qi stance. Even if they feint the move, the chances of them being able to dodge an immediate shoulder bash are slim. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't abuse it just to be safe.
Throwing your zone when he does side dodges may help as well, but watch out for deflects or he'll bop your bologna. .
Keep up the pressure by using Valiant Breakthrough and Shoulder Bash respectively to stay in his face and keep him out of qi stance. Any time you see him trying to do so within gb range, get your free gb.

Lawbringer.
Ironically, shove on block + light followup is going to help you counterattack Shaolin pretty reliably here. Don't be afraid to mix it up however and occasionally throw a GB to catch them trying to dodge.
If you have a strong feeling they're going to feint the top unblockable, dodging and immediately doing Long Arm might catch them off guard the first time you do it. Which guarantees you the heavy, and probably the light followup (if you're fast enough). I've got a feeling you'll only really get away with that once per fight though.

Highlander
Don't be afraid to trade with him here. Your heavy attacks have uninterruptible stance, and you can probably land Celtic Curse if you soft feint the top heavy into side heavies from opposite sides.
If he knows you'll just throw Celtic Curse at him then he may start feinting more often. The second he starts that go into offensive form and toss a couple of lights at him. Don't be afraid to do the whole Fomorian Kick into Caber Toss into Balor's Might mixup on him either. If you land it you'll rock his world.
if he throws dodge heavies a lot, get your omni directional crushing counter on and put the fear of parry god into him if you can.

Knight_Raime
11-06-2018, 01:11 AM
Ah ha! This is great! I primarily play Warden, Highlander and LB, but this advice already helps a ton. Thanks again!

With warden if the Shaolin likes to play out of measure (meaning outside the range of your normal attacks) to whiff top light into qi try baiting him into letting a qi attack fly. Warden can bait this easily on forward dash since it's 300ms. Meaning you can raw dash, dash into SB, dash into zone, and dash into delayed forward dash heavy. Once you've punished him a few times with that you can more easily get in his face. making it harder for him to use qi stance.
If he's already within your range try a forward or backward dash into a shoulder bash that you feint asap. This is a good strat for basic shaolin since they like to spam their dodge heavy. it's really easy to parry if you do this. If you ever see him go for his dash forward heavy or his top unblockable from qi stance just option select it. (meaning put your guard top but input zone.) If he feints he eats zone. If you mistime your parry (when he commits) he eats zone. And if you get your timing right you parry. Remember that your zone is a chain starter. So you can delay the input of a side or top heavy after doing it and mix him up that way.

I myself don't really play highlander. Too difficult to use with a controller for me. But I can tell you that if they like to attack on seeing you enter offensive form just get used to feinting out of it asap. You can usually parry. In fact holding heavy to go into OF from neutral is an option select in it of itself. as either you parry or you enter it. and you can feint out of that quite early. Which lets you parry easily. Offensive form in general should be a nightmare for shaolin since he doesn't have an answer to bash based mix ups. and he won't be able to reliably crushing counter you due to HL' OF lights being 400ms and his heavies are UB so they can't be crushing countered. You might also want to try trading with a heavy or light after a heavy or light in defensive form if the shaolin is attack happy.

LB wise again not someone I really play. But try going for a heavy after a shove (wether the shove is from block or from neutral) on occasion. It throws off people who try to dodge attack/deflect immediately after the bash instead of trying to actually react.

DefiledDragon
11-06-2018, 01:20 AM
(by eye frames I'm referring to the excessive movement in the animation likely meant to distract you )

I am totally on board with this. From now on, I shall refer to any attack that contains unnecessarily elaborate animations as having "eye frames" just to confuse people :)

DefiledDragon
11-06-2018, 01:25 AM
You can also poke him out of his side dodge heavy from Qi stance with a light attack if you're not comfortable parrying it and you want to apply some damage instead of just blocking it. It's "dodge" properties seem to be questionable.

Mighty_Mackerel
11-06-2018, 04:33 AM
These are all great! Thanks a bunch guys!

Now I just gotta work on getting the game to work again because I accidentally deleted the application and every time I try to reinstall the game I get an error code... I might've screwed myself over.