PDA

View Full Version : Courtesans in ACR (video)

wapikas
10-11-2011, 02:05 AM
I found this ACR Pre-Order Weapons Capacity Upgrade trailer and it seems that at 16 s. there are courtesans. What you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?f...ilpage&v=V_ZVR8Vi3qs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=V_ZVR8Vi3qs)

wapikas
10-11-2011, 02:05 AM
I found this ACR Pre-Order Weapons Capacity Upgrade trailer and it seems that at 16 s. there are courtesans. What you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?f...ilpage&v=V_ZVR8Vi3qs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=V_ZVR8Vi3qs)

Moultonborough
10-11-2011, 02:10 AM
I don't think so. The courtesans don't dance like that. They are another faction altogether. I don't think they are in AC:R

LightRey
10-11-2011, 02:11 AM
Those aren't courtesans. They're gypsies, bellydancers to be more precise.

Chronomancy
10-11-2011, 02:12 AM
I think the faction is called the Romani.

LightRey
10-11-2011, 02:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chronomancy:
I think the faction is called the Romani. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Which are also called gypsies by the majority of the English-speaking people of the world :P

Chronomancy
10-11-2011, 02:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chronomancy:
Which are also called gypsies by the majority of the English-speaking people of the world :P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your point? My first post was posted RIGHT after yours so how was I meant to see if someone had said it? Instead of being a know it all check to see the post times next time. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Skuldpt
10-11-2011, 02:33 AM
Yep they are gipsies!

wapikas
10-11-2011, 02:48 AM
So.. bellydancers are new courtesans?

TorQue1988
10-11-2011, 04:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wapikas:
So.. bellydancers are new courtesans? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes they replaced the courtesans because, historically, they weren't socially accepted in Istanbul at that time.

JJTHoukes
10-11-2011, 05:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
Which are also called gypsies by the majority of the English-speaking people of the world :P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True.
But in the majority of the English-speaking world, this is also a politically incorrect term, and you're to call them Romani.

(Unlike in The Netherlands, where "zigeuners" isn't considered offensive.)

LightRey
10-11-2011, 06:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ThyMolizzo:

True.
But in the majority of the English-speaking world, this is also a politically incorrect term, and you're to call them Romani.

(Unlike in The Netherlands, where "zigeuners" isn't considered offensive.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It is? You learn something new every day I guess. Why is it considered offensive?

eagleforlife1
10-11-2011, 06:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ThyMolizzo:

True.

(Unlike in The Netherlands, where "zigeuners" isn't considered offensive.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It is? You learn something new every day I guess. Why is it considered offensive? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simply because in their eyes they are Romani. Gypsy is a name given to them by non-travelling folk.

LightRey
10-11-2011, 07:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eagleforlife1:

True.

It is? You learn something new every day I guess. Why is it considered offensive? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simply because in their eyes they are Romani. Gypsy is a name given to them by non-travelling folk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How does that make it offensive? I don't see how calling people by a different name then they themselves do is offensive.

CRUDFACE
10-11-2011, 07:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eagleforlife1:

True.

Simply because in their eyes they are Romani. Gypsy is a name given to them by non-travelling folk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How does that make it offensive? I don't see how calling people by a different name then they themselves do is offensive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kind of like when you call an African American man a ******. It's another name, but it is also offensive

LightRey
10-11-2011, 07:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by t260z:
Kind of like when you call an African American man a ******. It's another name, but it is also offensive </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
But that word was, and still is used to discriminate them for having a dark skin. It was deliberately used for that single purpose, to see them as different from "regular" humans.
Now, if this were the same for the term "gypsy" then I would understand, so my question now would be whether that's the case.

CRUDFACE
10-11-2011, 08:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by t260z:
Kind of like when you call an African American man a ******. It's another name, but it is also offensive </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
But that word was, and still is used to discriminate them for having a dark skin. It was deliberately used for that single purpose, to see them as different from "regular" humans.
Now, if this were the same for the term "gypsy" then I would understand, so my question now would be whether that's the case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I know, I was comparing it to how you ask how a race known by another name could be offensive. Therefore offensive, lol

but I think it's more like a generalized term alongside the fact that gypsies have this racial profile to the word of traveling and such.

RzaRecta357
10-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Now, if this were the same for the term "gypsy" then I would understand, so my question now would be whether that's the case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lots of the eastern world consider themselves more sophisticated. German people like my grandparents. They HATE gypsies because they travel and live in your cities and stuff.

It's probably a very offensive term in Europe. Us North Americans...were ignorant :P

LightRey
10-11-2011, 09:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RzaRecta357:

Lots of the eastern world consider themselves more sophisticated. German people like my grandparents. They HATE gypsies because they travel and live in your cities and stuff.

It's probably a very offensive term in Europe. Us North Americans...were ignorant :P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's true. Don't they also have the belief that everything belongs to everybody or something along those lines? Always caused a lot of trouble because they kept "stealing" stuff, not understanding the concept of ownership.

albertwesker22
10-11-2011, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't worry about it Lightrey. The PC police like to jump on anything here in England. I have never heard anyone in England, use the term "Romani" Most people that do, would sound out of place.

We call them Gypsies, or travelers. I can't stand how some people try to make you feel bad, just by using normal language these days.

SleezeRocker
10-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Oh yeah!
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/9750/loveallthehilariousezio.png

Ezio approves of dancers!
http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1303784_o.gif

SixKeys
10-11-2011, 02:21 PM
"Eskimo" is also generally considered an incorrect and offensive term, the people refer to themselves as Inuits. It's the same with Gypsy vs. Romani. IMO if someone thinks you're using a word about them that is incorrect and potentially offensive, you shouldn't keep using it just to prove how un-PC you are.

"Gypsy" is kind of similar to "******" in the sense that it has been used to historically put down people. The word originates from an old Greek word Athiganos, which meant "untouchable".

Jexx21
10-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Also, they aren't just bellydancers.

They are groups of Romani, with 2 dancers, 1 musician, and 1 fire breather.

LightRey
10-11-2011, 02:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SixKeys:
"Eskimo" is also generally considered an incorrect and offensive term, the people refer to themselves as Inuits. It's the same with Gypsy vs. Romani. IMO if someone thinks you're using a word about them that is incorrect and potentially offensive, you shouldn't keep using it just to prove how un-PC you are.

"Gypsy" is kind of similar to "******" in the sense that it has been used to historically put down people. The word originates from an old Greek word Athiganos, which meant "untouchable". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, Inuit can be a much more offensive to Eskimos. The term "Inuit" only represents about half the Eskimos (i.e. one group of tribes), while the term Eskimo simply means "raw-meat-eter", which isn't an insulting term and it's generally not considered offensive by Eskimos.

Serrachio
10-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Gypsy has the potential to be considered an offensive term because Romani originate from around the location where Istanbul is in the world.

Gypsy as a term is confusing them for originating around Egypt, which is untrue because they are like a nomadic group that came about somewhere near the Indian Subcontinent.

More information is here:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Gypsy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people

SleezeRocker
10-11-2011, 06:59 PM
For me I grew up thinking that gypsies were Fortune teller Caravan..eers?

but I love all this background info http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

kriegerdesgottes
10-11-2011, 07:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by albertwesker22:
I wouldn't worry about it Lightrey. The PC police like to jump on anything here in England. I have never heard anyone in England, use the term "Romani" Most people that do, would sound out of place.

We call them Gypsies, or travelers. I can't stand how some people try to make you feel bad, just by using normal language these days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed. Here in the U.S. if you said Romani no one would have any idea what you are talking about either. We just say gypsy. and in Germany they are zigeuner as well as someone mentioned it is in the Netherlands. Neither term is meant to be derogatory.

LightRey
10-12-2011, 11:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serrachio:
Gypsy has the potential to be considered an offensive term because Romani originate from around the location where Istanbul is in the world.

Gypsy as a term is confusing them for originating around Egypt, which is untrue because they are like a nomadic group that came about somewhere near the Indian Subcontinent.

More information is here:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Gypsy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now that's a good reason. Thank you.
However, I would like to add that terms like "eskimo" and "gypsy" are most likely about as insulting as the term "cracker" is to white people.

Assassin_M
10-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Courtesans are NOT in ACR

LightRey
10-12-2011, 12:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Assassin_M:
Courtesans are NOT in ACR </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think we already established that fact http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Assassin_M
10-12-2011, 12:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Assassin_M:
Courtesans are NOT in ACR </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think we already established that fact http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yea I had it coming, didnt want to read through the whole thread though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif