PDA

View Full Version : IP or Users Ban ?

ATR_46
11-02-2007, 08:49 AM
G Day All http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I put a server up (open) as we were testing to see how things run, all was/is looking good and had about 14 on. I know the server can handle more as we run four dedicated online racing servers and have had up to 60 clients connected without concerns.

I decided to fire up a dedicated PF server so those of us who race day in and day out had another option for some fun and to relax and were looking to get some help with flying so we could learn how to do things right, we are all noobs at this.

Sadly to say we had two people one who carried on, and called those of us noobs a few choice words as we run a professional league and rules in place we were not used to the carry on, specially on my server.

As such I advised all others that the server would be shut down and pass worded, I offered to sit in Hyperlobby and privately pass the password to those who were not part of our group but were having some fun also. I apologies to those looking to fly and enjoy for closing the server.

What I'd like to know if at all possible (yes noobs remember) is can we set the server us with ban's on names or IPs to stop the type of people we seen tonight? If this can be done would someone mind advising how as I'd still like to keep the server open and allow those looking to do the right thing a place to fly.

If our guys (so far 15 of the 150 membership base) are interested we may move to a mixed server option.

Thanks in advance.

ATR_46
11-02-2007, 08:49 AM
G Day All http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I put a server up (open) as we were testing to see how things run, all was/is looking good and had about 14 on. I know the server can handle more as we run four dedicated online racing servers and have had up to 60 clients connected without concerns.

I decided to fire up a dedicated PF server so those of us who race day in and day out had another option for some fun and to relax and were looking to get some help with flying so we could learn how to do things right, we are all noobs at this.

Sadly to say we had two people one who carried on, and called those of us noobs a few choice words as we run a professional league and rules in place we were not used to the carry on, specially on my server.

As such I advised all others that the server would be shut down and pass worded, I offered to sit in Hyperlobby and privately pass the password to those who were not part of our group but were having some fun also. I apologies to those looking to fly and enjoy for closing the server.

What I'd like to know if at all possible (yes noobs remember) is can we set the server us with ban's on names or IPs to stop the type of people we seen tonight? If this can be done would someone mind advising how as I'd still like to keep the server open and allow those looking to do the right thing a place to fly.

If our guys (so far 15 of the 150 membership base) are interested we may move to a mixed server option.

Thanks in advance.

Troll2k
11-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Yes there is a way.It has been a long time since I looked.But I believe if you go to the server command console and type in the command "help ban" (without the quotes) it will give you the parameters and syntax for the ban command.You can do it by name,ip or list.If you are constantly putting the server up you can create a list and have it load by putting the load command in the server cmd file.(I believe so.I have never actually used a ban list)

ATR_46
11-03-2007, 06:16 AM
Thanks Troll2k,

Appreciate your time and reply, I'll see how I go with your suggestion.

Art-J
11-04-2007, 05:48 AM
Remember though that someone might have a modem with a dynamic IP given after each log-in. As a result, the IP list migh not be 100% effective. It's better than nothing though...

Cheers - Art

Troll2k
11-04-2007, 04:49 PM
There is also a kick feature.Either by player name or number in game list.I prefer the number method as sometimes player names have a long string with unusual characters.