PDA

View Full Version : Let's have 2 Density Levels of Housing

AzemOcram
10-31-2018, 12:00 AM
I've played Anno 2070 and Anno 2205 and many city building games and it always struck me as odd that density was always intrinsically linked to wealth. Anno 2205 made a good step in allowing 2 different foot prints but it would be great to have 2 density levels. It seems especially fitting for Anno 1800.

The 19th century had rapid industrialization and new building materials invented. This is simulated by needing these more advanced materials for higher wealth homes. However, major cities like London and NYC had 5-7 storey tenements to pack workers in like sardines. At the same time, some of the wealthier residents lived in townhouses (artisans), mansions (engineers), or country estates (investors) in the outskirts of the city, especially in smaller cities.

The higher density tenements and apartments would require more advanced construction material. In some ways, having lower density mansions and estates for engineers and investors would be easier to build but provide fewer workforce and taxes. On the other hand, having higher density for workers and artisans (and possibly farmers) would be as hard to build as the next tier (and would unlock at the earliest when low density artisans are unlocked). This way you can have your main population center be dense but not necessarily wealthy while you can have a small village that can be wealthy.

There should ideally be a way to build the denser houses from the get-go and a way to upgrade from low density to high density. The main problem is that it would double the number of art assets needed for housing. Perhaps, this could be a DLC.

UbiSnout
10-31-2018, 01:43 AM
I've played Anno 2070 and Anno 2205 and many city building games and it always struck me as odd that density was always intrinsically linked to wealth. Anno 2205 made a good step in allowing 2 different foot prints but it would be great to have 2 density levels. It seems especially fitting for Anno 1800.

There should ideally be a way to build the denser houses from the get-go and a way to upgrade from low density to high density. The main problem is that it would double the number of art assets needed for housing. Perhaps, this could be a DLC.

Hey AzemOcram! Those a nice ideas. I will notify the development team that players would like evolving type of housing. In the meantime here is a post from the Anno-Union about Construction AI that you might find interesting. https://www.anno-union.com/en/turing-tested-asimov-proofed/ :cool:

LightsDawn
12-01-2018, 04:48 PM
They had this same function in Cesar V, the pleb housing could be "upgraded" 2 different times, giving more workers without the need for more houses, for awhile anyway.

As for the construction part, needing more advanced materials or something...eh......."MAYBE" need some beams or something....but i think that would be to much trouble. They used really thick wooden beans and such to make houses back then so maybe just needing more of the same stuff. It would probably just depend on the class level you where upgrading, farmers, workers etc.

........It was also they same for the other class's as well, Equites and Paterons.

The better you satisifed their needs and wants, the better their houses where, and you would get more tax money as well. :):)

So if the Romans could do it........The 1800's can as well.