PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic campaign question

crucislancer
11-13-2007, 12:38 PM
A friend of mine who I gave my copy of PF asked an interesting question that I never really thought about. When choosing a Dgen campaign in PF or IL-2, depending on the campaign, you are given several choices: Which campaign to fly and what plane to use. His question was do you stick with the same plane through out all the campaigns, or does Dgen give you a different plane later?

For example, for the USMC campaign, if you start with Wake Island you will have the F4F, and the same for Guadalcanal. But after those campaigns can you switch to the F4U-1A?

One thing he is trying on the USN campaign is setting the plane preference for each campaign before starting, and since he's starting with the first campaign in the series, he's in the F4F, but some of the later campaigns that have the F6F available he changed them before starting that first campaign.

Any thoughts?

crucislancer
11-13-2007, 12:38 PM
A friend of mine who I gave my copy of PF asked an interesting question that I never really thought about. When choosing a Dgen campaign in PF or IL-2, depending on the campaign, you are given several choices: Which campaign to fly and what plane to use. His question was do you stick with the same plane through out all the campaigns, or does Dgen give you a different plane later?

For example, for the USMC campaign, if you start with Wake Island you will have the F4F, and the same for Guadalcanal. But after those campaigns can you switch to the F4U-1A?

One thing he is trying on the USN campaign is setting the plane preference for each campaign before starting, and since he's starting with the first campaign in the series, he's in the F4F, but some of the later campaigns that have the F6F available he changed them before starting that first campaign.

Any thoughts?

Divine-Wind
11-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Good question... To be honest I've never gotten far enough in a DGen campaign to see. Too repetitive for my tastes... (I know, real life was like that, but I don't feel like sitting for six hours on a fighter sweep three times in a row)

Stew278
11-13-2007, 01:11 PM
In my experience you get the planes you select when you started the campaign. For example if I start a campaign for USAAF and select:

P-40B for Pearl Harbor
P-39D for New Guinea 1942
P-51D for Japan

And start on Pearl Harbor, when the Pearl Harbor battle ends and the next campaign phase begins I will get the P-39D Since that was what I selected. Then onto the P-51 for the next.

So I always take the time to select which planes I want for each stage of that career in case I actually make it past one stage of the campaign.

I don't recall ever getting upgraded mid-battle in a DGEN campaign, but maybe someone else has seen this happen? I had it happen in a Marines campaign going from an F4F to an F4U, but I think that was a scripted campaign.

If you are playing using DCG and have aircraft downgrades selected you can get moved back to a worse plane. I was flying a Leningrad campaign in the 190F and we lost too many planes so next mission I got stuck with a 109E.

So if he started early war in an F4F, but selected F6F for the later battles, he'll get switched to the F6F when he gets to those.

crucislancer
11-13-2007, 01:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Divine-Wind:
Good question... To be honest I've never gotten far enough in a DGen campaign to see. Too repetitive for my tastes... (I know, real life was like that, but I don't feel like sitting for six hours on a fighter sweep three times in a row) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same for me. The only Dgen campaigns I've completed where late war, and the last in a given series

crucislancer
11-13-2007, 01:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stew278:
In my experience you get the planes you select when you started the campaign. For example if I start a campaign for USAAF and select:

P-40B for Pearl Harbor
P-51D for Japan

And start on Pearl Harbor, when the Pearl Harbor battle ends and the next campaign phase begins I will get the P-39D Since that was what I selected. Then onto the P-51 for the next.

So I always take the time to select which planes I want for each stage of that career in case I actually make it past one stage of the campaign.

I don't recall ever getting upgraded mid-battle in a DGEN campaign, but maybe someone else has seen this happen? I had it happen in a Marines campaign going from an F4F to an F4U, but I think that was a scripted campaign.

If you are playing using DCG and have aircraft downgrades selected you can get moved back to a worse plane. I was flying a Leningrad campaign in the 190F and we lost too many planes so next mission I got stuck with a 109E.

So if he started early war in an F4F, but selected F6F for the later battles, he'll get switched to the F6F when he gets to those. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perfect, that's exactly what he did, too. I'll be sure to tell him. Thanks!

Given this as well, I think I might try to play a Dgen campaign all the way through, from early to late war.

NAFP_supah
11-13-2007, 02:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crucislancer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stew278:

P-40B for Pearl Harbor
P-51D for Japan

So if he started early war in an F4F, but selected F6F for the later battles, he'll get switched to the F6F when he gets to those. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perfect, that's exactly what he did, too. I'll be sure to tell him. Thanks!

Given this as well, I think I might try to play a Dgen campaign all the way through, from early to late war. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did that, ended up a 300+ Kill USAAF P-51D Ace. In the beginning I used to put kill symbols on my skin, looked like this:

http://supah.gotf.net/preciousangel.jpg

Once it covered both sides of the fuselage and one wing it almost started to look like boasting so I stopped doing that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

crucislancer
11-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Wow, that's crazy! Yeah, once you have the AI's number it's fairly easy to rack of a impressive kill score. I had a Temepst Dgen campaign going for a while with 53 air kills in 25 missions. I might try this one again, maybe going back a little farther and start with a Spitfire.

Or I might do a USAAF Dgen over Europe starting with P-47Ds moving onto P-51D-20NAs by the end.

SeaFireLIV
11-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Ahem. try and get such effective number of kills with no icons and realistic engine management and difficulty. Having easy setting don`t cut it.

Anyway, you select what planes you want at the start of a campaign. there`s a drop down menu for each part that lets you choose your next aircraft. A tad unrealistic (how do you know what you`d be flying in 1944 if you start in 1941?), but there you go.

crucislancer
11-13-2007, 03:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Ahem. try and get such effective number of kills with no icons and realistic engine management and difficulty. Having easy setting don`t cut it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, boy.

Who said anything about difficulty settings? Those dgen campaigns can last a long time, and if you can average 2 kills per mission, it's quite conceivable to rack up hundreds of kills, particularly if you start from the beginning with, for example, a USN campaign from 1942 to 1945. That's most likely in the neighborhood of 150 missions, maybe more. And doing that on "Realistic" is totally possible.

It's not a good idea to assume. It's also not a good idea to be smarmy about it. I may not be the **** hot sim pilot that you are, but I know that much.

Divine-Wind
11-13-2007, 04:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NAFP_supah:
I did that, ended up a 300+ Kill USAAF P-51D Ace. In the beginning I used to put kill symbols on my skin, looked like this:

http://supah.gotf.net/preciousangel.jpg

Once it covered both sides of the fuselage and one wing it almost started to look like boasting so I stopped doing that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I did that once... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Wait, that was CFS2.

NAFP_supah
11-14-2007, 10:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Ahem. try and get such effective number of kills with no icons and realistic engine management and difficulty. Having easy setting don`t cut it.

Anyway, you select what planes you want at the start of a campaign. there`s a drop down menu for each part that lets you choose your next aircraft. A tad unrealistic (how do you know what you`d be flying in 1944 if you start in 1941?), but there you go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey guess what settings I was playing at?!?!?!