PDA

View Full Version : The Monk can block attacks with his forearm. Can we have a brawler now please?

CoyoteXStarrk
10-25-2018, 07:01 AM
Ever since this game has been out people have been begging for a fist-weapon/brawler type fighter and the reasoning given by some people all along as to why it couldn't happen is because they would not have a believable way to block or parry because their lack of a weapon. However the new Monk class has a block animation where he simply uses the guard on his forearm to block attacks and it looks great. It doesn't feel fake or look cheesy.

So I don't see why we can have a Hero that either uses their bare hands/martial arts or fist weapons to get the job done. I think it would be a welcome change to the game. All along I envisioned a Hybrid character with a similar mechanic as the Highlander where the Brawler can switch stances to better fit whats needed. A defense stance for protection, an attack stance for straight offense, or just a neutral stance that keeps the enemy guessing. I think it could work out really well. There is plenty of martial arts that could be chosen from and that would fit within one of the 4 factions. Particularly the Samurai or the Vikings faction. A fist-fighting Viking giant would be a hilariously awesome Hybrid or Heavy I think. The executions would be amazing as well.

Hell you can include it in their lore even. Make it a "Clan" thing kind of like what you did with the Highlander. For whatever reason this group of Vikings don't use weapons because they like the challenge. Or that group of Samurai priests don't use weapons because they think its barbaric.

Am I the only one that still wants a brawler like this?

ooweda2blu
10-25-2018, 08:28 AM
An hero like this could be nice, and I don't hate the idea, but as you see, shaolin has a "long range" weapon that could be used in battles. A fist weapon/martial arts hero sounds too different by the game feeling: each hero as a "long/medium/short" range weapon to fight, and the fights are set in a war enviroinment. If you set an hero that use only martials arts or similar type of attacks with a weapon, you must feel that he could do some damage on armors, not only on a simple "naked" opponent.

If this hero is set right, then he could be a particular character to fight against, and his moves could be very nice to see.

CptMatsumaru
10-25-2018, 08:30 AM
a drunken viking with knife. *fun*

CoyoteXStarrk
10-25-2018, 08:37 AM
a drunken viking with knife. *fun*

Okay see now we are talking lol

Now I wanna see some Shugoki sized Viking running around with brass knuckles and a skinning knife.

CptMatsumaru
10-25-2018, 10:08 AM
maybe with the next faction.

i hope like pirates or "greeks" (spartans, pikemens)

btw, we have teleporting shaolins, maybe batman or wolverine.

CoyoteXStarrk
10-25-2018, 10:10 AM
maybe with the next faction.

i hope like pirates or "greeks" (spartans, pikemens)

btw, we have teleporting shaolins, maybe batman or wolverine.

We won't get another faction. I'd be willing to bet anything. Pretty much every major weapon type or warrior type can be tweaked to fit under the umbrella of the 4 factions we have now.

CptMatsumaru
10-25-2018, 10:19 AM
That was a joke.

But Ubisoft does not know if they want to be realistic or go fantasy.
First we need a good balance between the heroes.

CoyoteXStarrk
10-25-2018, 10:26 AM
That was a joke.

But Ubisoft does not know if they want to be realistic or go fantasy.
First we need a good balance between the heroes.

Oh okay sorry. Sarcasm doesn't go oever well on the internet lol

CptMatsumaru
10-25-2018, 10:50 AM
https://pathfinderwiki.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/e/e6/Kess.jpg/250px-Kess.jpg

viking brawler.
only a idea.

Blaestem
10-25-2018, 11:53 AM
CLAWS!!! WE NEED CLAWS! :cool:

EIGHTYYARDS NYC
10-25-2018, 03:37 PM
Hell no. Please, no.

chukblok
10-25-2018, 05:12 PM
Oh wow i approve this thread.
A brawler would be great. And could fit any faction. Viking, knight. He/she could be a heavy? doesnt have to be assassin type. Heavy or hybrid.

Knight_Raime
10-25-2018, 06:06 PM
Two ways I see this as possible is a dlc hero for the wu-lin that uses the fighting style with fists that shaolin monks use.
Or perhaps a claw based character.

PonE-Sharp
10-25-2018, 06:11 PM
Unless they were some kind of claw/arm-blade, probably not. Though I'm kind of surprised we don't have anyone using nunchaku. It's kinda brawly, as a short ranged blunt weapon.

Hormly
10-25-2018, 06:42 PM
A rajput with a katar?

Wookiescantfly
10-25-2018, 06:45 PM
It would be interesting to see them come out with a new character that uses something similar to Tekko-Kagi claws, though they would probably stylize them a bit to be more in line with Ninja Gaiden's Tiger's Claw & Falcon's Talon weapon. Though that would be for the Saumurai. For the Knights they could easily get away with Cestus gauntlets. Maybe Emeici for the Wu Lin? it really just depends on what faction they try to make the hero for

TSCDescon
10-25-2018, 10:33 PM
Just add Pirates.

Give them 400ms unblockable one hit kill pistol shots. This game is already a straight up Fantasy anyways.

Hormly
10-25-2018, 11:08 PM
Two ways I see this as possible is a dlc hero for the wu-lin that uses the fighting style with fists that shaolin monks use.
Or perhaps a claw based character.

I don't mean to embarrass you in front of everyone... but a shaolin is already in the game 😮

Tareyus
10-25-2018, 11:13 PM
This would actually be fun. Since the start of the game, realism doesn't matter at all too since no weapon can actually damage legit knight armor. Here's the only thing I wonder about the brawler. If he/she is going to use their fist, how will the parry work and will the attacks be unblockable like cent?

Tareyus
10-26-2018, 06:57 PM
I don't mean to embarrass you in front of everyone... but a Shaolin is already in the game ��

You do know that the Shaolin monks don't just use staffs right? They also use swords, their fists, their classic staffs and etc. The whole Wu-lin could probably be just Shaolin with the JJ, Nuxia and Tiandi's weapon and it could probably work.

DefiledDragon
10-26-2018, 08:55 PM
Imagine a character with claws. 100ms lights and 400ms heavies that can soft feint into everything because hey, they're using their hands!

Ubiflowessence
10-26-2018, 10:28 PM
I can't tell which one you all want to see in the game more. Claws or Brawlers? I do have questions for those asking for brawlers though:

1. How do you think a brawler type would fit into the overall game itself?
2. What faction would a brawler be apart of and why? How would it match up against other worriers in terms of light/heavy attacks and defense? Should the brawler have an increased dodge speed?
3. What would be the brawler's backstory/history (just curious)?

CRIMS0NM0NKEY
10-27-2018, 07:07 AM
I can't tell which one you all want to see in the game more. Claws or Brawlers? I do have questions for those asking for brawlers though:

2. What faction would a brawler be apart of and why? How would it match up against other worriers in terms of light/heavy attacks and defense? Should the brawler have an increased dodge speed?

Chuck Norris

1. Chuck Norris doesn't fit into the game. The game is over when he is selected.

2. Chuck Norris is his own faction. He has only one move: A roundhouse kick that causes all opponent on the other team to surrender.

3. Backstory: ask Chuck Norris his story and he'll break your back.

History: Chuck Norris tells history what is in the past.

Knight_Raime
10-27-2018, 09:23 AM

1) Considering we have a shaolin monk and two heros who frequently use punches/kicks i'd say it wouldn't be a stretch to fit one in.

2) Wu-lin is the easiest choice since the shaolin have more than one fighting style weapon. The most iconic being the staff. But they do have quite the martial art. I can't really see samurai having a fist/brawler guy. Unless they wanted to go double redundant and have yet another ninja. I could see vikings getting some kind of brute force style character. And knights could probably get away with their version of warrior monks.

2a) Lights/heavies would vary drastically depending on the fighting style. only concern really is how they will block/parry and be blocked/parried. IMO how ever a brawler is done I think follow up attacks/grapples need to be littered through out the move list. Like multi hit attacks or a blocked attack opens the person to be thrown or getting hit with a follow up guaranteed hit. in my mind lots of hits/low damage per hit/constant flow of moves that seem endless.

3) if it's wu-lin shaolin fist fight style you could pull a similar thing with how shinobi were brought in. aka they were a secret/forgotten order. So some kind of story to explain how this kind of monk differed from the standard monks. Not sure about any other faction though.

CRIMS0NM0NKEY
10-27-2018, 01:55 PM
You could have him change styles like Wing Chun, praying mantis, Buddha's Palm, tiger, drunken Boxing, crane, monkey, snake. Panda? Hehe

Devils-_-legacy
10-27-2018, 02:39 PM
You could have him change styles like Wing Chun, praying mantis, Buddha's Palm, tiger, drunken Boxing, crane, monkey, snake. Panda? Hehe

I dont like the idea of a brawler but would have to be a wulin could be a varient of a simple villiager/martial airtist if its another shoalin they could use use Arhats 18 hands (luohan quan version) it's probably the oldest style and one of the most known or for villager wing chun(ip mans varient)

CRIMS0NM0NKEY
10-27-2018, 06:14 PM
I dont like the idea of a brawler but would have to be a wulin could be a varient of a simple villiager/martial airtist if its another shoalin they could use use Arhats 18 hands (luohan quan version) it's probably the oldest style and one of the most known or for villager wing chun(ip mans varient)
I don't like the idea either as we have enough spam to satisfy a doomsday prepper for ten years but...
Wing Chung would be cool you could have most of his attacks be counter attack. Meaning he would have a reflex guard that when he blocks it does an automatic counter attack. Give him shinobis reflex guard so he isn't op. His counter attacks would drain massive stamina and do damage.
Since people want him to have the claw weapon he could switch to that like Highlander does which would be 🐯 style kung-fu. He would get a full guard when he flips to tiger. His movements would be slowed but he'd do massive damage.

bannex19
10-27-2018, 06:18 PM
He could have claws, katar or a cent like gauntlet. He should be Muay Thai style animations and a southeast Asian aesthetic and goes with the wulin.

But no doubt with this dev team they'll go gung fu bruce lee style and make all his hits drain extra stam. Such a shame they can't go with more unique heroes

CRIMS0NM0NKEY
10-27-2018, 06:35 PM
He could have claws, katar or a cent like gauntlet. He should be Muay Thai style animations and a southeast Asian aesthetic and goes with the wulin.

But no doubt with this dev team they'll go gung fu bruce lee style and make all his hits drain extra stam. Such a shame they can't go with more unique heroes

That might be very controversial putting a thai fighter in the wulin faction.

bannex19
10-27-2018, 06:40 PM
As contoversial as a scot with vikings or a greek with romans? Im not saying he's got to represent thailand.

Devils-_-legacy
10-27-2018, 07:17 PM
Scotland and the viking share quite a history so not a leap. Glad isn't a greek I assumed he was a roman gladiator. hopefully if they do add another brawler to the chinese fraction its a foshan varient style

Wookiescantfly
10-27-2018, 07:19 PM

Well the two practically go hand in hand, as a claw weapon is short range enough to be a brawler's "weapon" to help facilitate their combat style. For example, the Tekko-Kagi can be used both defensively and offensively and are effectively a gauntlet type weapon. Were the samurai faction to wind up with a brawler style character, it's entirely likely that, for the sake of having some sort of historical authenticity as you do with the rest of the cast, this character would wind up using this tool to help with their combat style rather than just focusing on Akido or Judo to get their opponent on the ground for a quick finish.

1. A Brawler type character would function more or less as a better Nuxia as she exists in the game currently. Most likely a heavily offensive frontline type vanguard with Reflex Guard, but not too heavily armored to help them remain dexterous; probably around the same health/stamina as Raider or Gladiator. He'd be fast; probably 500ms light attacks across the board, with heavy finishers that have a very short stun; 1 or 2 seconds at most. Depending on the faction and the style of his combat, he'd probably be able to use Nuxia's trap mechanic better than she can. He would most likely have side dodge heavies with extended dodge that have a lot of eye frames, and feinting would be a major part of his mix up the same way it is for Berserker. However the character would have to have a very high skill floor to figure out how to use effectively without just resorting to light or bash spamming to make him effective.. His trap would be a soft feinted heavy, but the trap itself needs to function like a guardbreak that can't be countered if you're blocking or emoting in the direction its done in. The TLDR of this is that the Brawler would be everything you wanted the Centurion to be; a hyper aggressive, "in your face" fighter that makes it hard to turtle against with his mix up options while still being balanced enough to be counterable.

2. For the sake of personal preference, Knights, and as a new Vanguard character (it's no secret that we'd like to see a full 32 character roster if possible, with 2 of each class per faction). This is mainly because the idea of a character using Cestus gauntlets to turn the other heroes's heroes faces into ground beef is about as satisfying as watching Conqueror do it with his flail's mace head in his most recent execution. (BTW I love that execution). His lights should be in the 500ms ballpark range, with a single jab combo similar to Shaolin's three hit poke, and his heavies should probably be 600-700ms. His attack range should be as short, if not a tad shorter, than Nuxia's. As far as defenses are concerned, we're probably looking at a slightly better armored Gladiator at around 130 HP / 140 Stamina. Rather than giving him faster dodge speed, giving him extended dodge on default side dodges and superior block on forward dodges might be something to consider just to keep dodge speeds within the same ballpark across the board. iirc this should also let him get a gb off of a well timed forward dodge.

3. without making this post too much longer, since you've already done the bit about a prisoner being forced to fight for his freedom (conqueror) and a Colosseum gladiator finding their way to the front lines, why not have the brawler be a wandering pilgrim who seeks to dispatch the enemies of his home in the name of the lord (kinda Joan of Arc style)

OneLaw4you
10-28-2018, 12:06 AM
Next sun ce from dynasty warriors used Tonfas just saying 👀

Hormly
10-28-2018, 04:41 AM
You do know that the Shaolin monks don't just use staffs right? They also use swords, their fists, their classic staffs and etc. The whole Wu-lin could probably be just Shaolin with the JJ, Nuxia and Tiandi's weapon and it could probably work.

So you want another monk with a different weapon... don't think that's a bit of a wasted character slot?

Tareyus
10-29-2018, 04:31 AM
So you want another monk with a different weapon... don't think that's a bit of a wasted character slot?

No, I agree that that would be a wasted slot. What I was trying to say was that the Shaolin monks didn't just use staffs. Nowhere in there did I say I wanted another Shaolin monk. They're fricken cancer. What I said was that if all the wulin were monks, it could probrobly work.