PDA

View Full Version : I finally realized what bothers me about Warden

PepsiBeastin
10-25-2018, 03:13 AM
His/her sword is too damn long! In promotional materials and art, such as the Marching Fire cinematic/title screen, Warden has a realistically proportioned sword. However in-game, Warden's sword is basically the same length as Highlander's with a shorter grip.

https://i.gyazo.com/603bf84a1967683f9adb1a935d65e565.mp4

This is a clip that shows (what I assume is an Orochi-sized) katana along with Warden's sword. In it, you can see that the Warden's sword is only larger by about 4 inches, since they're both tip-first against the ground.
https://i.gyazo.com/76863e6eaaf6928a98a5db42d7874a55.png

Also in the startup screen, warden appears to have a smaller sword than is depicted in-game.

https://i.gyazo.com/5d1ee360c682c98334562f0f613e8860.jpg

Yet this is what you see when you do a side by side comparison of Orochi and Warden's weapons from the same distance

https://i.gyazo.com/41b22807ca2467de23355ece71faccc0.jpg

I find it extremely hard to believe that Warden's sword in all of these is the same. From what I can tell, all of the art and cinematic stuff have one size, then in-game has a 20% longer sword. Hell, the sword the bot is holding wouldn't even fit in the title screen window I assume!

https://i.gyazo.com/adb279712eb05c9bdf4e866d5b595984.jpg

It just barely fits, but you can see that it's clearly much longer than what is shown. (This is the default sword from warden's character preview in the editor, and it even gets cut off because the top goes into the ground.)

chukblok
10-25-2018, 03:23 AM
I think it looks the right size in game. wouldnt want it shorter! I think the new blades are too thin and fancy. need some wider blades.

PepsiBeastin
10-25-2018, 03:24 AM
I think it looks the right size in game. wouldnt want it shorter! I think the new blades are too thin and fancy. need some wider blades.

I'm not talking about width, I mean length aka reach!

DefiledDragon
10-25-2018, 03:40 AM
European Longswords are pretty long. Katana average blade length is around 23 - 29 inches (source wikipedia) whereas a Longsword average blade length is roughly 35 - 43 inches (source wikipedia) so as you can see, the shortest Longsword is considerably longer than the longest Katana.

I think Warden's sword is about the right length. I wouldn't want it much shorter. Highlander's sword is epic. He's my favourite character by far. Has the best sword and the most personality. I'm going to be devo'd when they change his voice.

I do wish they had blade options that were a bit narrower. The high end blades are all a bit on the wide side for my tastes.

Edit: Was totally expecting a bash spam thread complete with supporting video featuring Shinobi :P

NHLGoldenKnight
10-25-2018, 03:53 AM
I think it is realistic in terms of length. The thing that is bothering me about the Warden is total lack of finesse, he just doesn't have the moves of a someone who mastered the longsword. He feels like a brute more than a skilled warrior.

Also, devs decided to give some important longsword moves to other warriors instead the one who was the most obvious choice. For example, Warden doesn't have pommel strike, yet Centurion, Kensei and Highlander have one. The other obvious one is thrusting which is where longsword really shines. Guess what? Warden doesn't even use is sword for thrusting. But PK does, Orochi does as well as Centurion and Kensei.

In general, I don't think devs showed enough love and effort when it comes to Warden. Something is missing and lack of cool yet realistic moves is worrying.

VolatileKnight
10-25-2018, 04:42 AM
Actually fun fact; Longsword back then was a rather broad term, and applied even to bastard swords. What you're thinking of, is a hand-and-a-half sword, which at one point was also called a longsword. So a longsword was both a two-handed sword similar to greatswords, and one is similar to say Peacekeeper's sword (she actually does have that style of sword).

NHLGoldenKnight
10-25-2018, 04:50 AM
I would say that PK is using arming sword, but that just me.

MarshalMoriarty
10-25-2018, 06:30 AM
I agree about Warden's lack of finesse. Aside from the lack of thrust attacks, his initial did make feel very cool to use. The flashiest zone attack in the game, the smooth as silk double side light, the crushing counter that still makes you want to jump up and click your heels together when it works.

Strength is still obviously part of his character, and he's always had the shoulder bash. But it feels like that's all they focused on his rework - the brute strength side of things. The unblockable top heavy, the utterly dopey looking Valiant Breakthrough. No new attack chains, no thrust attacks and it left him looking like more of a clumsy oaf (something his executions have been doing for ages).

Maybe his sword is so long that he's never seen the tip of it and noticed how useful that point could be for say... stabbing people.

Klingentaenz3r
10-25-2018, 08:16 AM
I think it is realistic in terms of length. The thing that is bothering me about the Warden is total lack of finesse, he just doesn't have the moves of a someone who mastered the longsword. He feels like a brute more than a skilled warrior.

Also, devs decided to give some important longsword moves to other warriors instead the one who was the most obvious choice. For example, Warden doesn't have pommel strike, yet Centurion, Kensei and Highlander have one. The other obvious one is thrusting which is where longsword really shines. Guess what? Warden doesn't even use is sword for thrusting. But PK does, Orochi does as well as Centurion and Kensei.

In general, I don't think devs showed enough love and effort when it comes to Warden. Something is missing and lack of cool yet realistic moves is worrying.

I agree about Warden's lack of finesse. Aside from the lack of thrust attacks, his initial did make feel very cool to use. The flashiest zone attack in the game, the smooth as silk double side light, the crushing counter that still makes you want to jump up and click your heels together when it works.

Strength is still obviously part of his character, and he's always had the shoulder bash. But it feels like that's all they focused on his rework - the brute strength side of things. The unblockable top heavy, the utterly dopey looking Valiant Breakthrough. No new attack chains, no thrust attacks and it left him looking like more of a clumsy oaf (something his executions have been doing for ages).

Maybe his sword is so long that he's never seen the tip of it and noticed how useful that point could be for say... stabbing people.

Yeah I agree with the both of you. Although I still don't like the poor animation for Crushing Counter, so does not feel as good as it did before the animation change. Hopefully one day they will return to a windmill and not a clumpsy half sword rip with a little hop. But don't get me wrong I absolutely vouche for him to have a more variable moveset in which we more oftenly see halfswording and pokes as well. Back in the TTS when it was just Wulins vs Warden/Valk rework the majority of testers were under the impression that his rework was a good step in the right direction but just not enough to actually be on the same level with the new characters that were about to come (and we only knew shaolin and tiandi at that point).

Warden is still lacking - we need more combinations, like H-L. H-H-L chains, faster combo heavies, a softfeint for the almost useless top unblockable and some additonal moves to enrichen his kit. Do with the shouldbash what you want, but expand on the swordmanship-side. All heroes should get an enhanced kit at this point.

Blitzwarrior771
10-25-2018, 06:08 PM
If you focus on that picture u will noticed that warden sword is tilted when standing upright 😂😂😂

Knight_Raime
10-25-2018, 06:09 PM
Probably already been stated but the long sword Warden uses in game is of appropriate length.
"long sword" is a broad term that's been used on many blades. Like an arming blade (aka what pk uses)