PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Ubi Devs (Gear Stats)

BigDave0404
10-22-2018, 11:39 PM
Hi Ubi,

I hope this note finds you well....and I hope you can give us all a straight answer to the 2 or 3 straightforward questions at the bottom here....

I just wanted to give you some insight on my personal experience (and likely many others) of playing For Honor over the past 18+ Months.

I am Rep 150+ and Love For Honor, one of the best games I have ever played.

I have played and lived through all the issues since season 1 to now and yet I still love this game. You have created something special here...Thank you!

Also I do like the new MF Faction Heros and other new content very much....very well done. I can see the passion and love put into this.

So there are many things / reasons that have made me fall in love with this game.....not going to list all here....but then you went ahead and removed gear stats.....Wow is all I can say. And for everyone reading...I could care less about pounding on Noobs or lower level heros being leveled up, thats not what this is about....and I will provide several solutions to this issue at the bottom... It was more about building my hero my way, to my playstyle and then putting him to battle against other peoples vision of their heros built their way...

You see (everyone) I have 5 Heros leveled past Rep 20 and have spent countless hours customizing them over the past 18 months....All 5 are (were) geared up in such a way that all 5 have 3 loadouts each ALL with different Gear, appearance and REFINEMENTS and each one of these loadouts was unique and had the stats I wanted that I farmed for tirelessly. Unique Builds, Unique Effects, Appearance / look, etc....each one customized to my playstyle and how I wanted them to look, etc, you get my meaning. So each loadout has a different build that I could choose from depending on my mood, the game mode I am playing or the competition. So if I started with a Stam Build and was in a match with heavy ganks, I would just switch to revenge build for the next match and take my REVENGE on those gankers! LOL!

I spent real money and much steel obviously creating this, but I personally could care less about the $$ (I know the cash does mean alot to many). Its NOT about the money. THIS was the fun for me...Farming, creating, playing , customizing to my play style and look I wanted to put out there....Wow did I have fun doing this...it was central to my enjoyment of the game...BUILDING, Testing, adjusting, Testing again, playing, you get the idea....Everyone reading here knows the amount of TIME needed to do something like this....

Anyway, I dont understand why the change here after so many of us invested so much time , effort and $$ in building these heros and how anyone would think its OK to remove it across the board just like that and now I am the same as someone who joins casually today. There were many other / better ways this could have been handled....and in fairness all I ask is for you to answer me these few questions please.....everyone keeping in mind this only applies to Dominion lets say as being the most played game mode......lets table Tribute and Deathmatch and the new Breach for another time.

1. If New Players AND players leveling new Heros getting stomped by Refined Gear High Rep Heros was the big problem, why not create in matchmaking 3 tiers of Dominion Matchmaking?...1. 0-80 Gear Rank 2. 81-179 Gear Rank; 3. 180- Refinement x2 Gear Rank. Add to that a Realistic Dominion option for those who want no gear score and bam problemo solved? Doesnt this satisfy everyone? those who want gear stats, new players, those leveling, and those who dont want gear stats (who have other modes by the way they can play as well). Or if too complex just simply just add a permanent Realistic Mode option and forget the tiers...but I thought the tiers is a good solution.

2. Why not just tone down the Revenge and / or the Attack stats a bit if they are out of whack / too powerful?

3. Im sorry if I am missing something BUT what is the incentive for me to Grind anything up to Rep 9+ now?? basically Im the same at Rep 0 as any of my Rep20+ Refined gear that I had right? This was a huge part of the game....Grinding / playing for a goal...better gear, gear customized to my playstyle, this was the fun UBI....Please tell us why this was so NECESSARY? It wasnt necessary....but you decided to do it....We Just want to know the REASON. Thats all.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this. I hope you understand the underlying point here....it was the building and Customization of the gear itself and then using it in battle that brought enjoyment, now its gone and while I do still love the game I am wondering why I am still spending so much time still 'grinding'. I realize its highly unlikely you will go back....but I just wanted to let you know what many are feeling at this point 1 week into MF.

Appreciate all of your hardwork and passion we can see you have put into this game....

Hope you can just give us some straight honest answers.....thats all I ask.....good , bad or ugly...just need to know why you would do this after all of our TIME investment....

D

VolatileKnight
10-23-2018, 04:15 AM
I absolutely agree with your points. They took out movement stats shortly after release because running faster didn't fit in For Honor, it felt out of place. Now it's locked behind two pre-requisites; killing a player and the match having progressed to late game. The perks themselves do not fit For Honor and feel as if they are from a different game.

yfkutfui
10-23-2018, 05:05 AM
Hi Ubi,

I hope this note finds you well....and I hope you can give us all a straight answer to the 2 or 3 straightforward questions at the bottom here....

I just wanted to give you some insight on my personal experience (and likely many others) of playing For Honor over the past 18+ Months.

I am Rep 150+ and Love For Honor, one of the best games I have ever played.

I have played and lived through all the issues since season 1 to now and yet I still love this game. You have created something special here...Thank you!

Also I do like the new MF Faction Heros and other new content very much....very well done. I can see the passion and love put into this.

So there are many things / reasons that have made me fall in love with this game.....not going to list all here....but then you went ahead and removed gear stats.....Wow is all I can say. And for everyone reading...I could care less about pounding on Noobs or lower level heros being leveled up, thats not what this is about....and I will provide several solutions to this issue at the bottom... It was more about building my hero my way, to my playstyle and then putting him to battle against other peoples vision of their heros built their way...

You see (everyone) I have 5 Heros leveled past Rep 20 and have spent countless hours customizing them over the past 18 months....All 5 are (were) geared up in such a way that all 5 have 3 loadouts each ALL with different Gear, appearance and REFINEMENTS and each one of these loadouts was unique and had the stats I wanted that I farmed for tirelessly. Unique Builds, Unique Effects, Appearance / look, etc....each one customized to my playstyle and how I wanted them to look, etc, you get my meaning. So each loadout has a different build that I could choose from depending on my mood, the game mode I am playing or the competition. So if I started with a Stam Build and was in a match with heavy ganks, I would just switch to revenge build for the next match and take my REVENGE on those gankers! LOL!

I spent real money and much steel obviously creating this, but I personally could care less about the $$ (I know the cash does mean alot to many). Its NOT about the money. THIS was the fun for me...Farming, creating, playing , customizing to my play style and look I wanted to put out there....Wow did I have fun doing this...it was central to my enjoyment of the game...BUILDING, Testing, adjusting, Testing again, playing, you get the idea....Everyone reading here knows the amount of TIME needed to do something like this....

Anyway, I dont understand why the change here after so many of us invested so much time , effort and $$ in building these heros and how anyone would think its OK to remove it across the board just like that and now I am the same as someone who joins casually today. There were many other / better ways this could have been handled....and in fairness all I ask is for you to answer me these few questions please.....everyone keeping in mind this only applies to Dominion lets say as being the most played game mode......lets table Tribute and Deathmatch and the new Breach for another time.

1. If New Players AND players leveling new Heros getting stomped by Refined Gear High Rep Heros was the big problem, why not create in matchmaking 3 tiers of Dominion Matchmaking?...1. 0-80 Gear Rank 2. 81-179 Gear Rank; 3. 180- Refinement x2 Gear Rank. Add to that a Realistic Dominion option for those who want no gear score and bam problemo solved? Doesnt this satisfy everyone? those who want gear stats, new players, those leveling, and those who dont want gear stats (who have other modes by the way they can play as well). Or if too complex just simply just add a permanent Realistic Mode option and forget the tiers...but I thought the tiers is a good solution.

2. Why not just tone down the Revenge and / or the Attack stats a bit if they are out of whack / too powerful?

3. Im sorry if I am missing something BUT what is the incentive for me to Grind anything up to Rep 9+ now?? basically Im the same at Rep 0 as any of my Rep20+ Refined gear that I had right? This was a huge part of the game....Grinding / playing for a goal...better gear, gear customized to my playstyle, this was the fun UBI....Please tell us why this was so NECESSARY? It wasnt necessary....but you decided to do it....We Just want to know the REASON. Thats all.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this. I hope you understand the underlying point here....it was the building and Customization of the gear itself and then using it in battle that brought enjoyment, now its gone and while I do still love the game I am wondering why I am still spending so much time still 'grinding'. I realize its highly unlikely you will go back....but I just wanted to let you know what many are feeling at this point 1 week into MF.

Appreciate all of your hardwork and passion we can see you have put into this game....

Hope you can just give us some straight honest answers.....thats all I ask.....good , bad or ugly...just need to know why you would do this after all of our TIME investment....

D

Big dave i detest what they have done too, it's insulting to be treated in such a way, the issue was revenge builds but they decided to throw the baby out with the bathwater and screw us all, (apart from the duelist nerds who are loving this) all i do is spend my time OOS, im so angry with how they have totally ****ed up everything i had worked so hard to achieve.

Lord_Cherubi
10-23-2018, 08:10 AM
I personally think that the perk system is a welcome addition but after reading trough your post i feel bad for all the hours completely wasted building the loadouts just the way you like, a big MFking middle finger from Ubi 😷

I still think the game is better this way but they really have to compensate the loss with something, a few loot boxes ain't enough.

Saratoya29
10-23-2018, 08:44 AM
Your solution would split the playerbase even more, and the selection of the hero before MM has been asked for a long time now because of gear stats. Obviously they choose to remove stats.

And removing stats will help to balance the game, because it removes some of the work load.

insanepoetry
10-23-2018, 09:23 AM
how would it remove some of the work load? all the variables still need to be calculated for everything, i don't know how they made this game but i can make a educated guess. any stats that we could affect with gear stats would just be stored as a variable under your hero, when you attack another hero, the game has to calculate your attack, their defense, your defense penetration and so on. even without gear stats those calculations still need to be made, we just cant change the variables anymore

VolatileKnight
10-23-2018, 04:24 PM
I just posted a really long and broken down view of the perk system and how it stands at the moment. Would you guys be willing to check it out and give me your thoughts on it? I would really appreciate it.

Fairemont
10-23-2018, 10:46 PM
I spent 70,000 steel getting all three high-tier perks on my Nobushi gear after Marching Fire hit, not knowing that it wasn't supposed to work like that, only to have them change and lose all of it. I requested a refund.

They gave me 3-days champion status.

For a $70.00 screw-up on their part I got a measly ~$1.75 value.

Extremely cool.

Knight_Raime
10-23-2018, 10:54 PM
I spent 70,000 steel getting all three high-tier perks on my Nobushi gear after Marching Fire hit, not knowing that it wasn't supposed to work like that, only to have them change and lose all of it. I requested a refund.

Extremely cool.

Yeah honestly I think that's Marching fires biggest/probably only notable flaw.
The perk system itself is fine. But the way they handled compensation was done horribly.
I think they should have allowed people to pick what stat they wanted their highest tier gear to have.

Fairemont
10-23-2018, 11:07 PM
Yeah honestly I think that's Marching fires biggest/probably only notable flaw.
The perk system itself is fine. But the way they handled compensation was done horribly.
I think they should have allowed people to pick what stat they wanted their highest tier gear to have.

They should roll back purchases to compensate for their screw up! >:(

Three days of champion status! Its like a slap in the face!

Knight_Raime
10-23-2018, 11:14 PM
They should roll back purchases to compensate for their screw up! >:(

Three days of champion status! Its like a slap in the face!

would be nice. But giving money away isn't something a company like ubi would ever do. i'm sure if that was on the table the devs would have done so.

Saratoya29
10-24-2018, 07:58 AM
how would it remove some of the work load? all the variables still need to be calculated for everything, i don't know how they made this game but i can make a educated guess. any stats that we could affect with gear stats would just be stored as a variable under your hero, when you attack another hero, the game has to calculate your attack, their defense, your defense penetration and so on. even without gear stats those calculations still need to be made, we just cant change the variables anymore

Work load for the devs team. They do not have to take into account the gear stats in 4v4 anymore.

RoosterIlluzion
10-24-2018, 08:12 AM
It's just like you said... About the money. They know they can change the gear system and people will pay money to get on top again.

Lethalchem
10-24-2018, 02:34 PM
I agree with the OP. Iíve been playing since season 1 and although I have not spent extra money to get my gear where I want, I have put the time and effort into this game to be overall rep 347.

I play all the characters, none of which are lower than rep 10, so I have put time into making loadouts and building gear for every one one of them.

I too have been though the various changes and proposals this game has seen since itís launch, but this new issue is the first change that has actually impacted my ability to enjoy this game.

The stamina drop has forced me to relearn a whole new way of playing. Not only is this new way less enjoyable and satisfying for me, but its also taking us in a direction that sets a dangerous precedent for future potential changes. The quickest way to get me to put a game down is to take away something Iíve put a ton of time and effort into.

While not addressing the issue of people who have spent their money, one simple fix for my issue is to simply adjust the stamina penalties. Reduce the stamina cost of some moves, and reduce the stamina penalties for a block/parry.

While this wouldnít address every issue I have with the changes, I feel like it would be a fair compromise and would allow me to limit how much I would have to change my previously enjoyed play style.

Roseguard_Cpt
10-24-2018, 03:06 PM
I understand that people have put time and money into builds and what not, but let be honest. There was two builds. Pure Attack and Revenge.
The big issue the devs have is that we're all screaming for balance, but how do they balance Nobushi's 20 damage zone versus the raider's 70 damage chained zone? Say you went for a full attack build you get roughly a 20% bonus to damage. For Nobushi your damage is now 24, a 4 damage bonus. For Raider however you get 84 damage, a 14 damage increase. By getting rid of all these extra multipliers they can actually start to balance character kits as opposed to another attempt at balancing stats. They redid gear after season 1 because feat cooldown was OP. Then I think it was in season 5 (Can't confirm) when they reduced the attack and defense stats because there was a time when you could get to roughly a 30% damage bonus.

Fairemont
10-24-2018, 03:15 PM
The perk system will likely be the best thing we can do to actually get balance going. It sucks right now, but its a good long-term change.

Lethalchem
10-24-2018, 03:43 PM
I understand that people have put time and money into builds and what not, but let be honest. There was two builds. Pure Attack and Revenge.
The big issue the devs have is that we're all screaming for balance, but how do they balance Nobushi's 20 damage zone versus the raider's 70 damage chained zone? Say you went for a full attack build you get roughly a 20% bonus to damage. For Nobushi your damage is now 24, a 4 damage bonus. For Raider however you get 84 damage, a 14 damage increase. By getting rid of all these extra multipliers they can actually start to balance character kits as opposed to another attempt at balancing stats. They redid gear after season 1 because feat cooldown was OP. Then I think it was in season 5 (Can't confirm) when they reduced the attack and defense stats because there was a time when you could get to roughly a 30% damage bonus.

The perk system will likely be the best thing we can do to actually get balance going. It sucks right now, but its a good long-term change.

I donít dislike the concept, and I donít have an issue with the balance attempts. I donít see why they canít accomplish the same things without the stamina component though. If they simply tweaked the cost/punishment numbers by a mild percentage it would still be equal for all players/characters.

The current way they have it seems counterproductive if they wanted to reduce turtle game styles. Now I have to be much less aggressive, it it seems easier to get stuck in OOS vortexes.

DaKineTyKai
10-24-2018, 05:01 PM
I guess Iím failing to see the benefit of the change to perk system. It seems to me the incentive to put time into the game to level up has been removed. Like many here, I invested in creating particular builds to fit my play style. In comparison the new system seems negligible.

While the change may be great for balancing the game, I see no purpose in gaining rep. With the incentive removed, gameplay quickly grows stale. Breach is a great game mode, but after playing a few times, I find myself losing interest. The newness has worn off and there is no incentive to repeat.

The reason we can repetitively play video games is because of the inherent nature of behavioral rewards that distract from what might become monotonous. Otherwise, itís like a tabletop gameóIíve played it once, but there is no enjoyment in playing daily, over and over again.

In short, the incentive to gain rep just seems negligible to me, which impacts interest to continue playing.

Lethalchem
10-24-2018, 06:21 PM
The reason we can repetitively play video games is because of the inherent nature of behavioral rewards that distract from what might become monotonous. Otherwise, itís like a tabletop gameóIíve played it once, but there is no enjoyment in playing daily, over and over again.

In short, the incentive to gain rep just seems negligible to me, which impacts interest to continue playing.
What are you talking about?? Leveling up will still unlock color swatches! Not only can you have a yellow/blue/white combo, you can level up and be rewarded with a completely different white/yellow/blue combo!!!! 😝

Fairemont
10-24-2018, 08:18 PM
I don’t dislike the concept, and I don’t have an issue with the balance attempts. I don’t see why they can’t accomplish the same things without the stamina component though. If they simply tweaked the cost/punishment numbers by a mild percentage it would still be equal for all players/characters.

The current way they have it seems counterproductive if they wanted to reduce turtle game styles. Now I have to be much less aggressive, it it seems easier to get stuck in OOS vortexes.

The one thing to keep in mind, and I assume this may not be true for you, is that gear stats were only available in some game modes. Some people play those exclusively. So, if you ignore duel/brawl you'd never worry about it.

The stamina difference and damage differences and such needed to be accounted for in separate game modes where they were or were not present. That is no longer the case, meaning changes don't need to be considered quite as much before they can be made. Balances for one are the same as the other. Sure, it'll take a little while to get used to and people who play modes without gear stats will likely adjust quicker, but it will work out in the end.

They do, afterall, see duel as their premier game mode, for whatever reason, and prefer to balance for it, I believe.

Erhanninja
10-25-2018, 03:33 AM
I completely left my gears perks. Since playing with Nobu I have really bad perks I just donít see the point. No incentive for levelling up except cosmetics.

No matter what gear I get itís always running fast most of the time. They removed running speed gears before and now brought it back. So contradicting. I canít even catch any assassins with the perk so itís pointless.

I can see reasoning behind it. But they made it so complicated itís crazy. I think it was wrong idea to use numbers.

DefiledDragon
10-25-2018, 03:52 AM
I guess Iím failing to see the benefit of the change to perk system. It seems to me the incentive to put time into the game to level up has been removed. Like many here, I invested in creating particular builds to fit my play style. In comparison the new system seems negligible.

While the change may be great for balancing the game, I see no purpose in gaining rep. With the incentive removed, gameplay quickly grows stale. Breach is a great game mode, but after playing a few times, I find myself losing interest. The newness has worn off and there is no incentive to repeat.

I feel like this also. I've lost the incentive to rep up any of my characters. I still play, because I enjoy the gameplay and I love the executions, but I find I'm not as concerned about playing the high xp modes anymore and I find Breach tedious because I can't get an execution out because of the ever present minions. But as for gear and repping up, yep, totally lost all my enthusiasm for it.

CandleInTheDark
10-25-2018, 08:25 AM

D

So I am not a rep by any means but I can give you answers the devs have given over the last few months.

1. They answered a question over this on the Den a while back, they dislike the idea of character select before matchmaking because it would hinder players who want to choose their hero based on the team composition. As someone with six characters at rep 8 on PC since having switched platforms, it is something I look at when I am taking a break from grinding (I want all 22 at rep 8 and with the perks I want). Personally I feel matchmaking after character select would fix more issues than it raises but I am not a game developer.

2. They tried, several times in the case of revenge and they also adjusted attack and defence values, they felt they couldn't take it any further. They also wanted a system where gear complemented the fight system as opposed to overrode it and one point on their powerpoint was that perks should not be powerful to the degree that gear stats were.

3. I can only speak for myself but personally I want them all in pretty gear and I want one up to the rep cap when I have a good understanding of all of them. I also feel that the perks add enough of an edge without being overpowering, for example all my assist and defence/assist characters will have Rising Dawn for the extra revive health. While I understand that some people might want the gear for play style as opposed to being able to stomp anyone who hasn't equal gear which comes across in most of the complaints made, I have never felt that gear should have a significant effect in a game based around a skill based art of combat system so my incentive is pretty much what it has always been since I started day on on xbox in terms of eyecandy.

Extremely cool.

That's kind of not their screwup though. I mean they could have done a better job of explaining in game maybe but they went over the system in detail in both August when they unveiled the new system and the Den before release. Ok so not everyone watches the Den but if I hadn't seen anything on it and gear just changed I would have been looking for anything I could in terms of information before touching the new system.

The_B0G_
10-25-2018, 02:16 PM
So I am not a rep by any means but I can give you answers the devs have given over the last few months.

1. They answered a question over this on the Den a while back, they dislike the idea of character select before matchmaking because it would hinder players who want to choose their hero based on the team composition. As someone with six characters at rep 8 on PC since having switched platforms, it is something I look at when I am taking a break from grinding (I want all 22 at rep 8 and with the perks I want). Personally I feel matchmaking after character select would fix more issues than it raises but I am not a game developer.

2. They tried, several times in the case of revenge and they also adjusted attack and defence values, they felt they couldn't take it any further. They also wanted a system where gear complemented the fight system as opposed to overrode it and one point on their powerpoint was that perks should not be powerful to the degree that gear stats were.

3. I can only speak for myself but personally I want them all in pretty gear and I want one up to the rep cap when I have a good understanding of all of them. I also feel that the perks add enough of an edge without being overpowering, for example all my assist and defence/assist characters will have Rising Dawn for the extra revive health. While I understand that some people might want the gear for play style as opposed to being able to stomp anyone who hasn't equal gear which comes across in most of the complaints made, I have never felt that gear should have a significant effect in a game based around a skill based art of combat system so my incentive is pretty much what it has always been since I started day on on xbox in terms of eyecandy.

That's kind of not their screwup though. I mean they could have done a better job of explaining in game maybe but they went over the system in detail in both August when they unveiled the new system and the Den before release. Ok so not everyone watches the Den but if I hadn't seen anything on it and gear just changed I would have been looking for anything I could in terms of information before touching the new system.

I would say the compensation is their screwup though. I know this issue is normally only on PC but have you ever played the crap out of a game, hundreds upon hundreds of hours, and have the save file become corrupted and have to start over? That's what this update feels like to me, not only do I have to start over from scratch, but we got 4 or 5 crates for compensation after a year of playing and me personally having 5 fully upgraded heroes with 3 sets each of good gear that was cosmetically changed to look how I want.

5 crates isn't enough to make one loadout, on one character. To me that basically feel like a big f*** y** from the devs. It's not that I don't like the game enough to keep playing, it's just I can't imagine putting that amount of time in to get to where I was again, it would cost close to 200k steel, and I grinded for all of it, no micro transactions. It's absolutely demoralizing.

If we don't get some serious compensation, then I'll probably only have a match or two of arcade every couple of weeks from now on.

BigDave0404
10-25-2018, 07:42 PM
Candle,

Thanks for answering those questions directly, thats appreciated....Some Good info I didnt realize and makes sense...

But with that being said the 2 underlying issues of this whole conversation that I was trying to get to heart of.

1. Progression/Customization....Really its gone.....Game is "Flat" now. Before I couldnt wait to get home jump on FH and Grind to next rep or looking for certain gear stat drops, etc...now...really could care less. Its sad...had so much fun with this game before...Time to move on I guess....

2. The real time I/we put in to build our Heros over the past 18 months...very frustrating it was for nothing. Feel like I really supported the game even with its issues...its just a slap in the face.

Still waiting for a response from UBI. I mean not even a "we will pass this along to the Devs" from the mods? Nothing?

D

VolatileKnight
10-25-2018, 08:43 PM
Yeah I have to agree, they really goofed up the game badly with Perks. They feel so choppy, so uninspired. If they wanted to fix the problem, this all could have easily been mitigated by taking out Revenge Gain and replacing it with another stat.

There's no way someone is going to tell me that 8% is game breaking, when it translates to 3 extra damage on Lawbringer's 45 damage regular heavies. Does not happen. Not before, not now, not ever lmao.