PDA

View Full Version : Matchmaking solution

JR0MER0
10-22-2018, 06:34 PM
With so many complaints about matchmaking, and I'm sure it's been brought up plenty of times before, but why not assign points to the deck currently in play and try to match up players using that algorithm? That way every match is competitive and skill based, deranking will become obsolete, and no more mismatches. I don't understand why this isn't a perfect solution.

Assign every card rarity and level a point base. Here's a very crude example which would probably have to be adjusted a bit to balance things out, but this is just a general idea. Commons = 1 point, Rares = 2 points, Epics = 3 points, and Legendaries = 4 points, then add 1 point per level. Say I'm playing a deck with 4 level 5 Commons, 3 level 4 Rares, 3 level 3 Epics, and 2 level 2 Legendaries. My point total would be 87. Then I would be matched against someone of a similar point value deck.

Now I understand the huge problem this would cause would be the increased amount of draws from having to play a competitive opponent all the time, thus making completing events even more difficult. So why not decrease the amount of draws by allowing the player who did the most amount of damage on the opposing New Kid to win at the end of the match? Draws would become practically non existent. Any thoughts?

Bagelrino
10-22-2018, 09:28 PM
Your solution is no better than theirs. It basically punishes people for leveling up. Isn’t the point of levelling up to gain an edge on other people at your rank level? If you’re gonna be matched with someone of a similar deck strength, then there’s little to no incentive to improve your deck.

The real problem is only displacing the bottom legend players back into silver every month. It’s putting baby sharks in a fish pond and expecting it to be balanced. Whoever’s brainchild this was should study existing games that implement rank decay the CORRECT way. Eg. hearthstone, Starcraft, other blizzard games, etc.

JR0MER0
10-22-2018, 11:30 PM
Your solution is no better than theirs. It basically punishes people for leveling up. Isn’t the point of levelling up to gain an edge on other people at your rank level? If you’re gonna be matched with someone of a similar deck strength, then there’s little to no incentive to improve your deck.

The real problem is only displacing the bottom legend players back into silver every month. It’s putting baby sharks in a fish pond and expecting it to be balanced. Whoever’s brainchild this was should study existing games that implement rank decay the CORRECT way. Eg. hearthstone, Starcraft, other blizzard games, etc.

Yeah, you make a good point, I guess I really didn't think it through. Also, now that I think about it, someone with a high level New Kid could purposely play a low level deck to prey on lower level New Kids and inexperienced players, so the mismatch problem still remains. It's a tricky situation to try to fix. One thing they need to do is stop giving New Kid XP for anything other than leveling up your cards. I've also suggested adding one more shield level in between Silver and Legendary (50-55) that people dropping out of Legendary can't drop under.

Imaginaaaation
10-23-2018, 12:04 AM
I think the “deck score” method along with NK level and battle history can give you a good indication of how a player will stack up. The problem is figuring out the right battle history formulas.

A hardcore deranker might have a roughly even win-loss record, but you’ll see lots of 3-0 wins and lots of 0-3 losses. You might discount those losses in a calculation. A “skilled” player will probably have more evenly distributed outcomes across the wins and losses, and lots of draws.

If you can identify the deranker this way than you could improve matchmaking. I doubt anyone is storing the full battle log (I.e. dropping 1 card won’t help you avoid the deranking police), but maybe win-loss records and phones destroyed/defended are available?

without knowing how many active players are available to make a match at any given moment, the system will never be perfect without a large pool of players to match. Sadly, if you get a bad match, you have to just take the loss and move on. I hate it but it’s the reality

Am I real?

suistrop
10-23-2018, 07:53 AM
Here my solution to prevent deranking. I think thé only days where you don t have ant derankers is when you are at the end of legendary season because everybody want To have the best reward. So my suggestion is to have random reward maybe once a week depending on the ranking you have when the reward is offer. as you don t know when this reward Will be deliver you have To be at your best rank everytime.

have a nice day

edomingox
10-31-2018, 01:58 PM
I suggested this method months ago. I knew it won't be implement just like Bagelrino said. If they really want a solution, it would be to never lose rank or points. You can only go up, at least until reset day.