PDA

View Full Version : What's better for siming:4:3 or 16:9 LCD?

alert_1
11-01-2007, 03:21 AM
I cant decide between LCD panels 20" 4:3 1600x1200 vs. 22(24") 16:9 1920x1600.What would you recommend considering not only IL2 but also BoB:SoW, DCS BlackShark or upcoming FighterOps? My desingated rig will be Core2Duo 6850 (3GHz), 2GB RAM, GF8800GT 512MB, WinXP

alert_1
11-01-2007, 03:21 AM
I cant decide between LCD panels 20" 4:3 1600x1200 vs. 22(24") 16:9 1920x1600.What would you recommend considering not only IL2 but also BoB:SoW, DCS BlackShark or upcoming FighterOps? My desingated rig will be Core2Duo 6850 (3GHz), 2GB RAM, GF8800GT 512MB, WinXP

WOLFMondo
11-01-2007, 03:32 AM
Most if not all 24" screens are 16:10/1920x1200. While IL2 doesn't truly support widescreen in the typical sense, its a much more enjoyable experiance playing IL2, Lomac (Lomac is simply awesome at high resolutions) or just about any game or sim at 1920x1200. Your rig will be perfect for running a 24" screen at its native res too.

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-01-2007, 05:59 AM
A 24" widescreen LCD makes this sim (and others) look like a whole new program when compared to anything 4:3 and smaller than 20".

F19_Orheim
11-01-2007, 06:34 AM
strangely enough, beeing a new wide screen owner - even though the widescreen format cuts away parts of the view (in il2 top and bottom), giving you less visual information, I really really prefer it anyway.

RAF_OldBuzzard
11-01-2007, 08:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F19_Orheim:
strangely enough, beeing a new wide screen owner - even though the widescreen format cuts away parts of the view (in il2 top and bottom), giving you less visual information, I really really prefer it anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here, but with a CRT http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Sony FW-900 FTW!

BrotherVoodoo
11-01-2007, 11:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">strangely enough, beeing a new wide screen owner - even though the widescreen format cuts away parts of the view (in il2 top and bottom), giving you less visual information, I really really prefer it anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I prefer 4:3 for this reason for this game only. 16:9 for sure when the sim properly supports wide screen.

Stiletto-
11-01-2007, 04:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RAF_OldBuzzard:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F19_Orheim:
strangely enough, beeing a new wide screen owner - even though the widescreen format cuts away parts of the view (in il2 top and bottom), giving you less visual information, I really really prefer it anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sony FW-900 FTW! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Buzz, I myself have the same monitor, except its the HP licensed version, the A7217A and its freaking awesome.. This is what Graphic Designers used before flatscreens became popular and the picture quality is unbeatable. The only problem as I am sure you know, is the desk room it takes up and it weighing over 90 pounds! But since its a heavy old CRT, you can get them pretty cheap and they look as good as anything.

As for widescreen cutting off the sides of your view, just raise the FOV up to the desired level. I have my FOV now setup where the top and bottoms are similar to 4:3 monitor thus the sideview is much wider.

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-01-2007, 04:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stiletto-:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RAF_OldBuzzard:

Sony FW-900 FTW! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Buzz, I myself have the same monitor, except its the HP licensed version, the A7217A and its freaking awesome.. This is what Graphic Designers used before flatscreens became popular and the picture quality is unbeatable. The only problem as I am sure you know, is the desk room it takes up and it weighing over 90 pounds! But since its a heavy old CRT, you can get them pretty cheap and they look as good as anything.

As for widescreen cutting off the sides of your view, just raise the FOV up to the desired level. I have my FOV now setup where the top and bottoms are similar to 4:3 monitor thus the sideview is much wider. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

can you explain how you did that? The FOV that is?

Lurch1962
11-01-2007, 06:08 PM
I'd be totally surprised if Stiletto actually achieved with wide screen the same vertical FOV as for 4:3. This sim bases its FOVs on the HORIZONTAL width of the display. And because of that you lose some of the tops and bottoms of the view at any aspect ratio wider than 4:3.

To verify if you are seeing MORE than 90 degrees horizontally at the 90 degree FOV setting, pause the game (if flying) and in sequence select the left, front and right views. I'll bet that for 4:3, 16:10 and 16:9 settings, each view will EXACTLY end where the next one begins, indicating a 90 degree wide view. If there's some overlap, let me know, 'cause then you would indeed be realizing a view wider than 90 degrees.

As for myself, because 4:3 offers a larger view AREA than wide screen, I'd tend to prefer it. After all, why hamstring yourself more than necessary--SA is about seeing.

A final note. If one wants an even larger view area that 4:3 offers, simply edit conf.ini to a square format, or even more so, a setting taller than wide. In all cases, you'd still get the same 90 degree wide view, but you'd now have more view angle at the top and bottom of the view. For ex., a square format would give 90 x 90 degrees. The downside: black bars at the sides of the display (yeccchhhh!)

--Lurch--

Hoenire
11-01-2007, 06:35 PM
16:10 with a 22" inch widescreen here. Go this way (or 24") and you'll be a happy bunny!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Stiletto-
11-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Hello, I never stated that the FOV is exactly the same, it is not. But since IL2 uses the verticle dimension the same and not the horizontal, as soon as you upgrade to a widescreen monitor it's like horseblinders going on. I went from a 17 inch 4:3 aspect ratio monitor to a 24 inch 16:10 ratio monitor, with the default field of view everything is way too large and narrow, enlarging the field of on the sides is the way to go, and with a larger monitor, anything that is shrunk in the distance is now larger anyways, I find it much more natural and your Situational Awareness goes up too. I posted a screenshot awhile back of the 4:3 view with default fov to a 16:10 width with a larger fov, let's see if I can paste it in here.

.. Here it is....

http://webpages.charter.net/scottomatic/fov_comparison.jpg

The top image is 4:3 screen ratio with default fov, 2nd image is 16:10 ratio with a larger fov, and the 3rd is the 2 overlapped for comparision. The differences with the larger FOV really don't change the game world too much, if you look at objects outside the cockpit, they look pretty similar. Well worth it imo.

Bearcat99
11-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Widescreen all the way... No question. ESPECIALLY if you have or intend to get Track IR. No contest. and you dont loose much at all on WS. Certainly whatever ypu loose is offset by what you gain.

Lurch1962
11-01-2007, 07:33 PM
I can certainly appreciate the appeal of widescreen. It looks more "cinematic", and it's what we've become increasingly used to on TV and DVDs. We all know what it's like to view our favorite old WWII documentaries in the then-standard 4:3--it looks so square!

But think about the IMAX format; it's square, or at least nearly so. And there's no denying its impact! 16:9 looks better when less of the retina is covered with imagery. But past a certain angular size, aspect ratio differences become less important, or even noticeable in a way.

I enjoy an IMAX-like experience with my 4:3 aspect 19" CRT (at 1600x1200) by getting up close with reading glasses. The apparent horizontal view angle is then 80-90 degrees, which means that at the 90 deg. FOV I get an almost perfect 1:1 match with what the real-world view would be. That "puts your head in the game," to borrow a slogan from a certain simulator accessory manufacturer.

--Lurch--

alert_1
11-02-2007, 05:06 AM
Thank you all for recomendations and experiences, but due to the lates news about BoB I gonna postpone upgrade till much later...my P4 3.2, 2GBRAM, GF7600GT and 19"HP LCP is just enough for IL2 46'