PDA

View Full Version : Gripe: Digital game purchasers are hosed regarding "retailer exclusive" ships.

Celoxamortis
10-20-2018, 08:50 AM
I picked up the Digital Deluxe version of Starlink for Nintendo Switch, largely because it was more economically feasible and because I have limited space which I can't clutter up with a lot of physical toys and their accessories. I'm enjoying the game quite a lot and decided that I'd at least like one physical ship to display. Since Razor Lemay is my favorite character, I picked up Cerberus.

Herein lies my gripe: Although Cerberus is a partial texture/palette swap of Lance, it does have different stats which effectively makes it a different ship that can be added to the total roster. Because it's a retailer exclusive, it was not included in the digital packages. Which means because I bought the game digitally, I can't use the Cerberus I purchased -- at least, not without having to fork over even more money for the stand-alone Joy-Con coop kit, which would be a waste of money for a single ship since the weapon and pilot were included in the digital deluxe edition.

This issue affects both the Cerberus (GameStop exclusive) and Scramble (Target exclusive) ships. There needs to be a way to offer the retailer exclusive physical ships in an entirely digital format for those of us who bought the game digitally. Some sort of online redemption that lets us verify proof of purchase of the physical version and then provides us with a corresponding download code for a digital unlock. I paid the same $24.99 anyone else would, I shouldn't have to spend another $19.99+shipping on the Ubisoft store for access to the content.

Speaking of the Ubisoft store, a semi-related complaint while I'm ranting: I was going to buy one of the acrylic Starlink display stands on the Ubisoft store to display said Cerberus but $9.99 shipping on a $4.99 item is ridiculous.

Zoro
10-20-2018, 09:21 PM
Thanks for reaching out to share this feedback Celoxamortis,

I'll share your thoughts in my report to the team!

Celoxamortis
10-21-2018, 02:37 PM
Thanks for reaching out to share this feedback Celoxamortis,

I'll share your thoughts in my report to the team!

Thanks.

Those of us who chose to buy digital and digital deluxe shouldn't be locked out of the retailer exclusive physical ships (and I forgot the Fury Cannon weapon that comes with Scramble) due to our purchase preference. I'm taking a Hanlon's Razor view of this sitaution -- I don't believe the folks behind the game did this with any kind of willfully malicious/greedy intent but rather didn't catch this oversight.

I understand the concern regarding packing in a digital code within the physical packaging as you'd want to prevent people from buying physical and reselling the digital code elsewhere. That's why I suggest some sort of redemption system on site, potentially a system tied to the Ubisoft Club login that is linked the the game account. That's not a 100% bulletproof solution either but it's better than what we have presently where we don't have access to it at all without buying the respective console stand alone co-op kit just to use unlock two ships digitally 7 days at a time.

Wikid_Numb
12-29-2018, 06:15 PM
I just recently discovered the AWESOMENESS that is Starlink. First, I want to say WELL DONE!

I purchased the Digital Deluxe Edition for my Switch, and I couldn't have been happier with my purchase. That is, until the completionist in me starting looking around at all the ships and weapons this game has to offer. I then died a little inside knowing that there are two ships (Scramble and Cerberus) and one weapon (Fury Cannon) that I just cannot get without forking over the funds to buy both the starter pack AND the two additional ships. I completely agree with what Celoxamortis has said, there should be some kind of way for us deluxe edition users to get access to these ships without the repurchase of everything.

While scouring the interwebs I came up with an idea that (at least I would find acceptable) is that they are offered as separate DLC purchases that are not included in the Digital Deluxe purchase. This way, they are still being treated as that little something extra without having to go overboard for just the two.

I look forward to seeing what the future of this game has to offer, and hope that there is some way for these two ships and this awesome weapon can find their way into my greedy little hands.

katukinabarra
12-31-2018, 02:53 AM
I have to sadly agree with the people in this thread. I bought the starter pack on release. I finished my adventure with only 2 pilots, 2 ships and 3 weapons. The game is nice but doesn't deserve to have such paywalls on its experience.

Today I bought the Deluxe Bundle hoping to receive all the content I missed in my first playthrought. It has been a sad surprise to see I haven't got Startail, Cerberus, Scrambler and Fury Cannon (at least, don't know if I am missing any other).

I think these contents should be directly added to the Deluxe Bundle and the game's Deluxe Edition.

phaze0x1
01-08-2019, 09:35 PM
I bought the starter pack, then the digital deluxe pack but kept the starter pack because I knew I'd need the base to scan in these exclusive ships. So I pick up the Cerberus pack and have just found out that I'll need to rescan it every so often to use it digitally. I'd have just bought it digitally if I could have. I really don't care for these toys. I am finding the toys to be rather gimicky since they don't store anything internally. The ships and weapons look alright, but the pilots are hideous.

Prowl13
02-02-2019, 01:21 AM
North America also got hosed on no Startail in any form. Physical or Digital. There was no way for use to get it and have yet released it for us. Also I have all physical ships, weapons and pilots available in my region and have to reattach them every seven days to continue using them which is annoying and frustrating because i worry that one day the plastic will fail and break from just general use. Please remove this so I put my collection away safely.

no-u...
02-15-2019, 12:37 AM
They added the seven day re-link due to the fact that someone could put the toys onto the grip, come up with an excuse that the toy is broken, and return and get refunded for it. Someone could also just give out a toy in a big group, and lots of people would have it with only one person paying. I do think that there should be a system where each ship, wing, weapon, and pilot has their own identity, and once it gets linked to one person, they never have to re-link it again, but nobody else can link that toy.

katukinabarra
02-18-2019, 12:55 PM
I bought the physical starter pack mainly to have the cartridge, even if it needs an extra download, which bothers me a lot.

I always play digitally (even if I am using the cartridge) with the extra deluxe bundle I purchased afterwards.

I understand it can bother you, as this game separates the gameplay according to using the toys or the digital content. This made me decide not to buy any more physical content, as you can end up connecting the toys every 7 days.

In my opinion, they should think of a solution about this.

The should also offer us the digital users a way to enjoy the Cerberus, Scrambler, Startail and Fury Cannon.

Let's hope this and other issues to be fixed soon in the next patch: some mission appearing on the map but not in the game, rebinding controls, being able to descend your ship and not only elevate...

katukinabarra
02-18-2019, 01:01 PM
Apart from that, it is a pity to have thegyroscopic aim locked only to when you are zooming in. I'm sure some people would try to even pilot using this feature

abnvox
04-23-2019, 08:50 AM
I picked up the digital deluxe on the PS4 and I didnít realize there was ships I was missing due to this exclusivity stuff. I agree these ships should be available via the online store as digital content even if they were a few bucks extra to complete my content! Maybe when the dlc comes out we will get them included or something! I can hope atleast!