PDA

View Full Version : Joystick Replacement

Divine-Wind
04-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Well, my approximately 5 year old Sidewinder Precision 2 (put out by Microsoft, for those who live in the stone age) is starting to creak, and is getting unresponsive. So of course I'm thinking of replacing the old girl, and I'm looking at 3 things:

#1 The Saitek X-52 - Using a built in throttle is a little difficult, so the uber-thing for your left hand that controls practically every little bit on the plane is looking promising. And the ones I see are about 100 bucks, which I'm pretty happy with.

#2 The CH Combatstick *insert those funky numbers* - It looks pretty promising, and from what people say, it looks a lot more durable than another Microsoft Stick. But there seems to be no throttle, and it's over $120, and my budget's not big enough for this and a throttle, AND rudder pedals, which I'll probably be needing.

And finally...

#3 Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - It's the cheapest of the lot at around $30, and it looks a lot better than my current joystick, but there's not a lot of buttons and stuff to frantically scramble for, which means it's back to the keyboard.

These would be my first 3 choices (although the Logitech is more of a Plan B), but feel free to throw in something about other sticks. But please, nothing over $200. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Divine-Wind
04-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Well, my approximately 5 year old Sidewinder Precision 2 (put out by Microsoft, for those who live in the stone age) is starting to creak, and is getting unresponsive. So of course I'm thinking of replacing the old girl, and I'm looking at 3 things:

#1 The Saitek X-52 - Using a built in throttle is a little difficult, so the uber-thing for your left hand that controls practically every little bit on the plane is looking promising. And the ones I see are about 100 bucks, which I'm pretty happy with.

#2 The CH Combatstick *insert those funky numbers* - It looks pretty promising, and from what people say, it looks a lot more durable than another Microsoft Stick. But there seems to be no throttle, and it's over $120, and my budget's not big enough for this and a throttle, AND rudder pedals, which I'll probably be needing.

And finally...

#3 Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - It's the cheapest of the lot at around $30, and it looks a lot better than my current joystick, but there's not a lot of buttons and stuff to frantically scramble for, which means it's back to the keyboard.

These would be my first 3 choices (although the Logitech is more of a Plan B), but feel free to throw in something about other sticks. But please, nothing over $200. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

-HH-Dubbo
04-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Most of my squaddies use either an X-45 or 52 and they swear by them. I like force feedback and although my MS FFB2 is getting on, the only thing I can see that could fill it's shoes would be the Cyborg Evo FFB stick.

So really, I have no advice for you unless you were looking for a FFB stick with a twist rudder.

Except Stay away from Logitech I burned through 3 of them in less than a month and a half before I bought the MS stick. Had that now for over 4 years so it's not that I'm abusive to my stick http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Bearcat99
04-12-2006, 08:26 PM
It all depends on what you want and how much you can spend. If you hacve the bucks and plan to go full tilt get the CH... then get the throttle.. If money is tight go with the X-52... whatever you choose remember one thing.... this sim screams out for a HOTAS setup. Mind you ... a single stick and keyboard is fine too if thats what ypu have.. but this sim is made for a HOTAS setup.. so if you want a stick and a throttle you can spend $155-$200 on a CH HOTAS depending on where you go..... I recommend either Provantage (http://www.provantage.com/ch%7E110CHPU.htm) or Magnum PC (http://www.magnum-pc.com/ssdept.asp?page=4&dept_id=003-016-002&prod_listview=14&prcn=&compareids=&himg=&manufacturer=--&gi_0=331100&ga_0=&gi_1=331162&ga_1=&gi_2=331611&ga_2=&gi_3=3311286&ga_3=&gi_4=3311996&ga_4=)....... or you can go to Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826102507&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=26-102-507) and get a Saitek X-52 for $99..

Either way I highly recommend a HOTAS setup... Saitek makes good product... I have yet to hear any complaints about CH... other than the spacing in thier rudder pedals.

Let your wallet decide.... Saiteks is good stuff though.. and so is CH.

Gold_Monkey
04-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Devine_Wind I also have a MSFFB2 that's about 5 yrs old it still works great, but in anticipation of it "going south" one day, I checked out Ebay and managed to buy (win the bid) on a back up. I like this stick a lot. BC may be right on the HOTAS set up but if your happy with your MSFFB2 check out Ebay they're still some for sale in the $100-$125 range

WTE_Galway
04-12-2006, 08:49 PM
yep MS FFB2 is unbeatable, brilliant stick .. but as pointed out hard to come by as they are not made anymore

Divine-Wind
04-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Actually Monkey, I have a Precision 2, my FFB2 broke after water was spilled on it. My lil' desk would shake to pieces if a forcefeed back stick that big was used. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

And thanks for the tips and comments guys.

AKA_Hitcher
04-13-2006, 01:20 PM
I have replaced my 4 yr old MSSFF2 with CH products, but not because it is broken or worn out. I just needed more buttons for flying LOMAC. I have cleaned up my MS stick and placed it back in it's original box with the original software. It is in excellent condition and I am willing to sell it.

If interested, please send me a PM. S!

SithSpeeder
04-13-2006, 04:01 PM
What Bear said, IMO.

I just upgraded from an X-45 to an X-52. Almost went with the CH Fighterstick, but have been long happy with Saitek.

* _54th_Speeder *

Divine-Wind
04-13-2006, 05:11 PM
Hitcher, actually, I'm not going for a Microsoft, I'm trying to find something that's more HOTAS than the Sidewinder; My hand starts to ache a bit after constantly keeping it scrunched up over various parts of the keyboard, and the throttle on MS sticks are getting somewhat harder to use, IMO.

It seems that the X52 is popular at the moment, so I'm starting to lean towards that. But I might go for an X45 (if I can find one... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif) and make rudder pedals from scratch.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone can put down how the sticks (either a Saitek, CH, or some other brand), well, 'feels,' maybe compared to any other joysticks. I guess I don't want to get a brand spanking new HOTAS set and find it's uncomfortable or feels odd.

VW-IceFire
04-13-2006, 05:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Divine-Wind:

And finally...

These would be my first 3 choices (although the Logitech is more of a Plan B), but feel free to throw in something about other sticks. But please, nothing over $200. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I had the same stick...Preicison 2 for a very long time. Good stick, very responsive, and very useful for flight simming. A great piece of work really. But the trigger started dying and that was that.

I eventually broke down and got the X-52. It took me about a month to get used to it but let me say that the stick is great, its solid, and tough and robust and you have a feeling that you're dealing with a much heaftier stick than the Sidewinder. The throttle took some getting used to but I'm nearly there...its very satisfying to just push the throttle forward and the aircraft powers up. Something more appealing about moving the whole thing (I've set the tension high so it feels more like a real throttle) than moving just a little toggle.

Divine-Wind
04-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Oh, and another thing on the X-52: Since my desk is one of the smallish type (I guess it's more of a tower, with a phone and printer mounted on the upper shevles), are the bases of the Throttle and Joystick pretty stable? I've had a couple joysticks that just bounced around the desk when I put the stick at full delfection, which is really disconcerting in the middle of a dogfight. I had a MSFFB 2, for example, which is really stable, and I used it up until it got doused with a cup of falling water. I guess a joystick like that is what I want, since I don't want things bouncing around, with a stable, and probably heavy, base.

Thanks again for the comments guys.

AlGroover
04-13-2006, 09:56 PM
I use a Saitek Cyborg evo which has the problem of being too light and sliding around so I gaffer tape it to the desk - problem solved. I thought about X-52 but I like to use mouseview so I have throttle control on the mouse wheel (MS cordless - the one with the smooth wheel action). The throttle on the stick I use for elevator trim. Rudder is by pedals of a MS Sidewinder wheel which I had anyway so cost me no extra. Hat switch vertical controls flaps, horizontal rudder trim. Right mouse button is wheelbrakes. With this setup I hardly ever have to reach for the keyboard. I don't have to lift my hand off the mouse to operate the throttle or flaps - useful in combat or taxiing. You don't have to spend big bucks to get an effective control setup.

Bearcat99
04-13-2006, 10:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AKA_Hitcher:
I have replaced my 4 yr old MSSFF2 with CH products, but not because it is broken or worn out. I just needed more buttons for flying LOMAC.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah thats why I really lkke my X-45/MSFFB2 combo
http://x10.putfile.com/4/9600402714.jpg

I dont know if this is possible with an X-52... but I pulled it off with an X-45.

WWMaxGunz
04-14-2006, 12:35 AM
The Logitech...... you get what you pay for. I know because I had one and had no idea how
badly worn it was (I knew it was worn when it rattled a bit.) until I got a 20% off deal
on an X-52. How many years I wasted by not waiting and spending the extra on a good stick.

BTW, X-52 will let you lock the twisty axis out just to let you add pedals. It is posh.

SithSpeeder
04-14-2006, 07:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW, X-52 will let you lock the twisty axis out just to let you add pedals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Bah! Put a big deadzone on the twist axis, but leave the ends and you essentially have two more "buttons". Up and Down Mixture or Nav Lights to the left, Landing lights to the right, etc. (on the last 10% of the band).

* _54th_Speeder *

Irish_Rogues
04-14-2006, 08:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Divine-Wind:
Oh, and another thing on the X-52: Since my desk is one of the smallish type (I guess it's more of a tower, with a phone and printer mounted on the upper shevles), are the bases of the Throttle and Joystick pretty stable? I've had a couple joysticks that just bounced around the desk when I put the stick at full delfection, which is really disconcerting in the middle of a dogfight. I had a MSFFB 2, for example, which is really stable, and I used it up until it got doused with a cup of falling water. I guess a joystick like that is what I want, since I don't want things bouncing around, with a stable, and probably heavy, base.

Thanks again for the comments guys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's very solid and because mine is pretty new, it almost sticks to mine desk. It also comes with suction cups for the bottom, which worked ok on my steering wheels for racing sims.

Bearcat99
04-14-2006, 08:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SithSpeeder:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW, X-52 will let you lock the twisty axis out just to let you add pedals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Bah! Put a big deadzone on the twist axis, but leave the ends and you essentially have two more "buttons". Up and Down Mixture or Nav Lights to the left, Landing lights to the right, etc. (on the last 10% of the band).
* _54th_Speeder * </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree.. the SST software is a huge plus as far as the Saiteks go. Before I modded my X-45 to do away with the stick I did something similar to the X & Y pots of the stick.. I used it basically as a huge lever to raise and nower my gear. Actually a better use for the twist stick on an X-52 if you have pedals is to make the huge deadzone... but assign rudder trim L & R to it. I used to use a 70% deadzone in the middle with 15% on either end for the switch.