PDA

View Full Version : Bring back soldier attack animations!

RazireKVD
10-18-2018, 12:23 AM
Yeah, I know it's mentioned in the patch notes, but it's stupid.

The soldier/minion attack animations for heroes should 100% be added back into the game! It's stupid that they're gone. They say it's to "improve minion wave clearing" but that's crap and everyone knows it! The Berserker, Shugoki, and Shinobi alone could clear waves in seconds with their animations. Now we've got to settle for boring attacks that take forever to clear a single wave? No! That's stupid.
Those animations should be brought back to stay in the game.
It's okay if the Wu Lin have to go without them for a bit so you can make them, but to remove them from everyone else is one of the stupidest decisions you could have made.
It detracts from the game. It takes fun away. It takes visual flare away. It's stupid, wrong, and should be undone!

Bring the minion kill animations back!

And also, seriously, bring back the victory cutscenes in Dominion. This new posing victory screen thing is really dumb, too. The cutscenes were so much better.

Illyrian_King
10-18-2018, 12:25 AM
Everybody misses them.

Till now i didn't see a single comment supporting this change.

Maybe the devs finally change their mind about this.

RazireKVD
10-18-2018, 12:38 AM
At first I though it was just lazy programming and they didn't give the Tiandi or Nuxia any, but then I saw the rest were removed, too.
It's really annoying and stupid.

I seriously hope the devs back-pedal this decision ASAP, because nobody is happy from what I'm reading.
And also, attacking minions now just looks awkward and badly animated.

Oh, and as I was typing this, a friend pointed out that this puts a serious hamper on the Bodycount feat. Not being able to swiftly go from minion to minion with the animations means you can't regain nearly as much health and stamina with the feat.

BreadedSam
01-18-2019, 01:23 PM
I make sure to put this on every forum discussing this topic.
You are exactly right there was not one player asking for these to be removed.
They were a fun immersive part of the game and a huge selling point when it was first released. Removing them because of "consistency" makes zero sense, no one from ubisoft even replies on this forum starting to get tired requesting this feature be returned, not even asking them to make anything new just give us back what we already had. Even if its just for dominion fine.

rottmeister
01-18-2019, 02:02 PM
^ No offense but how is it a selling point?
Sure removing unique animations made people upset, but I'd never get out of my way to hit minions with the animation just for satisfaction. Usually it takes way too much time away so I lock on nothing to perform regular moves to faster clear out minions at B. I think everyone is just blowing it out of proportion.

I don't mind if they were to come back, but I can guarantee nobody cared about minion attack animations until Ubi said they were going to remove them.

You're correct about no one asking for their removal.
If it's just for dominion, I don't see any problem.
They could just keep the animations for dominion/squirmish exclusively.
If they can allow commanders to be executed in Breach but not in Squirmish/Arcade I don't see any reason why they couldn't allow the animations in everything but Breach.

BreadedSam
01-18-2019, 02:59 PM
It may not be a selling point for you but it certainly was for me, and also just because you don't go out of your way to hit minions doesn;t mean other players don't enjoy that aspect.
Being a fan of games like Dynasty Warriors For Honor took grunt killing to the next level with cinematic real-time executions and was a big reason for me purchasing it on day one.
And just look on the forums there are plenty of people asking for them to come back.

Your point about it not being fast is invalid as it is a fun/immersion thing, a major part of enjoying videogames. If players want to lock on and use those moves fine but it doesn't mean they should remove the choice from all other players.

It don't think people are making enough of a point about it, seems unfair that games can remove features that have been there since day one.

I know it has always been a PvP fighting game but with the grunt kills made it a more immersive battle experience, now it's your most basic melee fighter game.

We are not even asking for anything new, just give us back what we had.

MrBeave
01-18-2019, 03:59 PM
I can guarantee nobody cared about minion attack animations until Ubi said they were going to remove them..

To say you can 'guarantee NOBODY cared' about them is just plain silly. I thought they were awesome and it had impact on who I chose to main. Why WOULD I complain unless they were taken away?

It's a selling point because at this point in development FH relies on customization and variety. The story mode is somewhat lackluster (with moments of brilliance) and since the mechanics (on PS4 at least) are extremely frustrating, it's the things that differentiate the heroes in look and feel that keep the game going. That's why they added a whole new faction and still have 4 new heroes coming this year. It's all about the aesthetic diversity and minion kills were a huge part of that.

Bring back minion kill animations!!!!!

I know you won't though, Ubi....

Maxime_Qc-
01-18-2019, 05:24 PM
It help SOME character clear the minions waves faster ... while it's the opposite for others...

Anyway i think it was still better before and if they want more consistency just make new animation....

Lazy work... to just delete it..

Like allways ubisoft is just doing their things without even asking our opinion....

They can't accept that sometime an idea is just good to be thrown in the garbage... so they like... "we worked on it , you will deal with it.. "

Maxime_Qc-
01-18-2019, 05:30 PM
When they implant some ****ty idea in game like that .. they could at least put it in a phase test for some time and let the player vote to keep or reject the idea...

What is really bothering is that THEY SEE our comment ..

THEY KNOW that we don't like it ...

But EVERYTIME ... they make us WAIT FOR MONTH before REadressing the new problem they create( among all the other we allready have)... or sometime NEVER even fix it....

rottmeister
01-18-2019, 08:07 PM
It may not be a selling point for you but it certainly was for me, and also just because you don't go out of your way to hit minions doesn;t mean other players don't enjoy that aspect.
Being a fan of games like Dynasty Warriors For Honor took grunt killing to the next level with cinematic real-time executions and was a big reason for me purchasing it on day one.
And just look on the forums there are plenty of people asking for them to come back.

Your point about it not being fast is invalid as it is a fun/immersion thing, a major part of enjoying videogames. If players want to lock on and use those moves fine but it doesn't mean they should remove the choice from all other players.

It don't think people are making enough of a point about it, seems unfair that games can remove features that have been there since day one.

I know it has always been a PvP fighting game but with the grunt kills made it a more immersive battle experience, now it's your most basic melee fighter game.

We are not even asking for anything new, just give us back what we had.

How is me saying that the animations are slow invalid? That's not the point I was trying to make. I said they were slow and I offered a solution. If you're annoyed at how slow they are, you could just lock on.

I even suggested to add them back in dominion. I'm not trying to attack your suggestion, I'm just being sceptical. I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe people would buy a game to have special animations in 1 area of a gamemode, but you do you I guess.

And as for immersion; wouldn't you pretty much die in seconds when surrounded by a horde of enemies? I don't see how removing minion kill animations suddenly makes the game a "basic melee fighter game".

Anyway the animations can be cool and apart from breach I don't see why they would remove them.

rottmeister
01-18-2019, 08:25 PM
To say you can 'guarantee NOBODY cared' about them is just plain silly. I thought they were awesome and it had impact on who I chose to main. Why WOULD I complain unless they were taken away?

It's a selling point because at this point in development FH relies on customization and variety. The story mode is somewhat lackluster (with moments of brilliance) and since the mechanics (on PS4 at least) are extremely frustrating, it's the things that differentiate the heroes in look and feel that keep the game going. That's why they added a whole new faction and still have 4 new heroes coming this year. It's all about the aesthetic diversity and minion kills were a huge part of that.

Bring back minion kill animations!!!!!

I know you won't though, Ubi....

Fine, the "nobody cared" part was unnecessary...

It's not like every hero kills minions the same way, they all use their own unique moveset. Minion kill animations didn't and will never define characters. Aesthetics, diversity and customization as a whole are selling points, minion killing animations are not (generally speaking). These animations can contribute to diversity, but they don't define them, they are occasional things. They were only really a thing in dominion.

I'm not trying to attack your opinions, I shouldn't have said that nobody cared.

UbiInsulin
01-18-2019, 11:01 PM
I make sure to put this on every forum discussing this topic.
You are exactly right there was not one player asking for these to be removed.
They were a fun immersive part of the game and a huge selling point when it was first released. Removing them because of "consistency" makes zero sense, no one from ubisoft even replies on this forum starting to get tired requesting this feature be returned, not even asking them to make anything new just give us back what we already had. Even if its just for dominion fine.

Hmm, I've personally replied to multiple threads about this topic.

We've seen that people want the animations back, and I'm continuing to let the team know that there's a lot of interest in bringing them back.

MrSupahDood
01-20-2019, 01:17 AM

The soldier/minion attack animations for heroes should 100% be added back into the game! It's stupid that they're gone. They say it's to "improve minion wave clearing" but that's crap and everyone knows it! The Berserker, Shugoki, and Shinobi alone could clear waves in seconds with their animations. Now we've got to settle for boring attacks that take forever to clear a single wave? No! That's stupid.
It's okay if the Wu Lin have to go without them for a bit so you can make them, but to remove them from everyone else is one of the stupidest decisions you could have made.
It detracts from the game. It takes fun away. It takes visual flare away. It's stupid, wrong, and should be undone!

And also, seriously, bring back the victory cutscenes in Dominion. This new posing victory screen thing is really dumb, too. The cutscenes were so much better.

Preach it, dude!

BreadedSam
01-21-2019, 11:39 AM
Yes I see you respond but it is always just to say that it has been read. We are never offered any level of information from the dev team, is it coming back? Should we give up with the game? Just seems if you are trying to sell a year three pass this is the time to tell us what will happen with the game.

Elhantas
01-21-2019, 08:37 PM
What?! You mean to tell me you don't like getting out of stamina every 5 ants... ugh i mean proud and strong soldiers!

Jokes aside, it truly was a good feature to have the animations. No matter how you look at it, its either lazy programing, incompetent game designers or cheap corporate bastards:
- Either they couldn't make the ant killing animations because of finances. - Cheap bastards.
- Marching fire was rushed. - Lazy programing + Cheap corporate bastards.
- They honestly thought it was a good idea. - Incompetent game designers.
- They needed the animations removed so that they can have 2 health bar minions. Incompetent game designers, lazy programing.

And also: **** the new end game screen. It's 100% cringy, every single time. Damn ubi, trying to copy end game screens from other games. They even frikin removed the end game screen with the wilhelm scream. BASTARDS! For that, i will never forgive you!

(reffrence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio )

CRIMS0NM0NKEY
01-22-2019, 12:10 AM

I like the posing victory screen. Its cut down on the saltmining in the game as well as mixing up the teams after the match is over and a new one is beginning. Imo both are good changes

RazireKVD
02-01-2019, 04:39 AM
Wow, didn't actually expect this thread to make a come-back at all, but since most of the responses are dated relatively new compared to when I posted this, allow me to once more voice my opinion!

1. Mods, UbiInsulin, you guys are doing great constantly feeding this info back to the team. I'm disappointed the team has yet to do anything or address this issue, but you guys constantly telling them we want the animations back are doing a great job. I've seen it on the forums and I've seen it on twitter. Keep it up.

2. The signatures that replaced Dominion end cutscenes: fun fact, we could have both! I still think signatures are stupid as hell and cringy in a lot of cases, but considering the original cutscenes for a win/loss in Dominion were roughly 3-4 seconds, the devs can add them back in and still have the signatures. That way we can make both sides of that argument happy. Those of us who loved the cutscenes that added to the immersion and featured great animations get to keep that, and those of us who enjoy Rainbow Six Siege style character posing that breaks the mood and looks cringy can get what you want, too, and we can all be slightly less irritated about life... maybe. Just add the signature posing screen after the Dominion end cutscenes. Ta-da, it's fixed. Might take slightly longer between games, but everybody gets something that way.

3. The minion kills themselves, the main point of this thread and many others. Yeah, I will hound the devs about this until they're added back, the game goes offline, or I'm dead. The sense of power and immersion that they gave was absolutely a unique experience, and I'm honestly willing to sacrifice the Wu Lin faction to get them back... or at least some of them. Not the Black Prior, though. Edgelord McRazorshield is too cool to give up.
Not to mention the "bodycount" feat is nigh useless now unless your character can sweep hoards of soldiers in one blow away, and even then, the targeting for soldiers now is crap, so even if you've got the reach of the Highlander or the Raider you're likely to hit 3 soldiers max most of the time. (Results may vary for some of us.)
I loved the minion kills since day 1. Most of the animations for them are better than the executions on some characters (lookin' at you, Valkyrie and also kind of Centurion.). They made the game more cinematic, made the player feel more powerful, and not to mention, SET THE META FOR WHO WAS A MINION KILLER! With their removal, the meta for that broke. Badly. Characters like the Shugoki became oddly useless with how slow they attack against minions compared to how much damage they would take, and honestly the only character I've seen with any kind of benefit to this is the Aramusha, who was originally just a hero killer.
So, the minion kills were cinematic, made the player feel more powerful, had better tracking on soldiers than the removed versions do, could actually take advantage of bodycount, and helped set a meta that would help build more strategic teams (to a point.) They made the game better, even if only a little bit. They're removal was a bad mistake on the part of the developers, and I hope they see the outcry for their return to the game. And like I said before, I am 100% okay if the Wu Lin, and now the Black Prior, go without them for a season or so, as long as we can get the originals back. That way we get them back, and the devs have time to make them for the Marching Fire and beyond heroes. You can keep your pikemen health bars in Breach. I'm fine with that. But Dominion? Skirmish? The Breach archers? Minion kills, please.

And one last side note: Minions breaking executions... is really tiresome and annoying. Just let me get hit while I finish someone off, please?

RealJayDee1984
02-01-2019, 07:26 AM
I completely agree with the last two points of the previous post. There's no real reason to not have both the short Dominion post-match cutscene and the posing after that. The few extra seconds won't make much of a negative difference to anyone's experience. If anything I feel there should've just been a few more variations of those scenes added per map, to keep things fresh.

And as for the minion killing - this topic will not go away until it is fixed. It's the single worst thing that's been done to the game, imo, simply because of how utterly unneccessary it was. Taking something away that was working as intended and added a lot to the overall atmosphere was and still is a plain baffling move. I get all the 'Breach minions are tougher' and 'unified experience' arguments, but... no, just no. There has to be a better way to handle this.

BreadedSam
02-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Same as above I will continue to post about minion killing animations until they are put back in the game.

It was a USP and you took it from customers that had already bought your product, not other product would do that.

Bring them back, glad to see support for this issue. UbiInsulin has gone quiet.

rottmeister
02-05-2019, 07:14 PM
i'm pretty sure the mods said they already forwarded it to the team but anyway good luck :) .

i'm not certain For Honor is the only game that has gotten rid of a "USP" whether it is before or after launch. In the WWE games Franchise they even got rid of the ability to create women a few years ago (WWE 2k15). It's not exactly the same situation (because you were never able to create women in 2k15 but in previous iterations of the franchise it was possible) but it's the closest I could think of.

If you really want to make a change (even this small, because it's just re-adding things that were already in the game once) you'd have to get a large following that spreads the message. Sure a handfull of people have agreed the animations need to return but you'd need the attention of someone who reaches a big audience. As someone who's been a part of the Sims community (well... silently) I've seen how influential a community can be. At launch there were several things 'missing': the ability to build pools and an entire lifestate was 'forgotten'. Thanks to the outcries of the community we got both. the devs wouldn't even dare to release another "expansion of an expansion" after the huge backlash 'My First Pet's Stuff" has gotten. I mean even in this community people have managed a "blackout". Remember when the devs wanted to remove the opportunity to buy certain executions/outfits?

UbiInsulin
02-05-2019, 07:25 PM
Same as above I will continue to post about minion killing animations until they are put back in the game.

It was a USP and you took it from customers that had already bought your product, not other product would do that.

Bring them back, glad to see support for this issue. UbiInsulin has gone quiet.

There's no new information to report right now, but it is something we keep bringing up in our reporting.

The reason we gave was that pikemen take more than one hit to die, and we wanted to keep uniformity across all game modes. People often request that we at least bring it back in the non-Breach modes, and I've let the team know about that as well.

RazireKVD
02-06-2019, 11:19 AM
I can understand wanting uniformity on paper, but in practice it just doesn't make the game any better. It really drags down Dominion a lot, to the point I don't even bother with the front line anymore unless absolutely necessary. Plus, last time uniformity got put up in game modes, it was by combining the Deathmatch game modes into a single game selection, and that still greatly annoys me. Up until we were allowed to change our votes for maps in a recent season, if I accidentally hit Skirmish on the map vote after an Elimination game, I felt screwed over to the point that I would just leave the game and find a new Elimination match through the map. (I play a lot of vs. AI, so I don't really worry about matchmaking penalties.)

Also, knowing that Pikemen are one of the reasons for the loss of minion kills just makes me hate them even more. They're already easily the most tedious, annoying, and generally unpleasant aspect of Breach, so this just makes them that much less wanted on my end.

Klingentaenz3r
02-06-2019, 02:14 PM
I don't miss those animations. Most animations on my heroes were time-wasting and inefficient. I found the official reasoning ok too that you'd use your zone or whatever would be more effective. And due to introduction of the pikemen in breach it would be more suitable to have your chains properly used while OOL with good control over them as aiming and such. Last thing was achieved and I found with Y3 S1 it improved in several characters a bit again . Warden for example is performing much better than the season before. Shugoki is after his rework now more effecient and effective than ever in clearing minions.

LionsFang78
02-06-2019, 03:56 PM
I don't mind not having them anymore. Yeah they were cool, but minion clearing has been made much easier for a lot of characters. Plus the amount of bugs some characters had while performing the animations made them more of hassle than they were worth

I know if they were brought back we could just use lock on to clear them with normal attacks, but that felt incredibly awkward

RazireKVD
02-06-2019, 11:43 PM
Your experiences definitely differ from mine and many others, then, because most characters are actually worse at clearing the minions out now for most of us.
They barely chain properly with the OOL attacks, and it takes much longer for most characters to clear the front line at this point. Unless you're the Berserker or Aramusha, and even the Berserker is slower than they used to be, you're gonna be worse at dealing with minions.

Yeah, some characters had long, drawn out animations for them, but that's because those characters weren't meant to deal with them. The Shaman does not need to be dealing with the front line. Her job is to hunt down and kill other heroes.
And the Shugoki is definitely not better than ever at dealing with minions. He's better than when they removed them, but he could clear entire waves in two attacks with his wide-swinging minion animations.

CRIMS0NM0NKEY
02-06-2019, 11:48 PM
Shugoki has a good minion clear now with his zone so I'm satisfied.

Klingentaenz3r
02-07-2019, 10:13 AM
Shugoki has a good minion clear now with his zone so I'm satisfied.

Not only his zone which received a significant boost in how many minions it could hit but also on his heavies. He actually hits reliably multiple targets and that is far different from what he used to be able to do and he is faster doing so also. His minion animations were not even close to be this effective and efficient.

RazireKVD
02-08-2019, 05:36 AM
Again I disagree, but I also said experiences differ, and I'm guess you play more Shugoki than I do.
But even then, that's still only +1 to the characters that benefited from this, making pretty much 2 with him and Aramusha.

So, there's one more character arguably decent at dealing with minions, but that still doesn't fix the many other characters that are no longer as effective, like Warden, Centurion, Gladiator, Conqueror(his tracking is borked), Orochi, and especially Shinobi. And even wide-swinging characters have tracking issues to where you only hit two to three guys tops with massive swings, like Kensei, Nobushi, and Raider.